Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → RIAA...
RIAA...
2006-04-25, 10:31 PM #1
http://www.newsfactor.com/story.xhtml?story_id=42757

Not only are they doing stuff like that, but as Im sure most know by now...

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/49727.html
2006-04-25, 10:34 PM #2
I'll stop buying on iTunes if they raise the price. I'm sure a lot of people will and that should send a clear message.
<Lyme> I got Fight Club for 6.98 at walmart.
<Black_Bishop> I am Jack's low price guarantee
2006-04-25, 10:35 PM #3
:rolleyes:

Christ, they could postpone the damn fine for a few years, factor in inflation and once she gradutes then make her pay.
I can't think of anything to put here right now.
2006-04-25, 10:41 PM #4
Yeah, raise prices, *that*'ll help stop piracy...

of course, we all know this is really just another [not so] elaborate plot to force more people to piracy, thus aiding the likelyhood of filing a legitimate lawsuit.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2006-04-25, 10:43 PM #5
This is old, but relevant too...

http://engadget.com/2005/09/25/labels-hit-back-at-apple-now-want-share-of-ipod-revenues/
2006-04-25, 10:50 PM #6
Man, the RIAA makes me happy to be a Canadian. They're crazy.
Stuff
2006-04-25, 10:59 PM #7
The recording industry has lost the edge on the distribution of music and they don't like that.
Pissed Off?
2006-04-25, 11:06 PM #8
Originally posted by Avenger:
The recording industry has lost the edge on the distribution of music and they don't like that.
No, they've lost the edge on the production of music.

The major labels have quit producing 'edgy' or experimental music. Basically they just pump out the same old tripe, largely due to Walmart's buying influence. The games industry is facing the same problem right now.

The only solution is to separate the source of financing from the means of distribution. Since that means the RIAA members won't make as much money, this will never happen. And I can see the next formats being so strongly patented and encrypted that the DMCA actually prevents independent music distributors from releasing anything for the next generation of music players.

Because that's the kind of people who are RIAA and MPAA members.

Why do you think the DMCA was ever written? It wasn't to fight piracy, I can tell you that much.
2006-04-25, 11:16 PM #9
Originally posted by Jon`C:
And I can see the next formats being so strongly patented and encrypted that the DMCA actually prevents independent music distributors from releasing anything for the next generation of music players.

Do you think thats possible?

I bet there will be software to combat it though, as there usually is.

Originally posted by Jon`C:

Because that's the kind of people who are RIAA and MPAA members.

Exactly. They derive their sense of self worth from their companys bottom line. They think that by extinguishing piracy and maximizing revenues, they are somehow making things better for themselves. Their "enemies" are the people that feed their paychecks in the first place.
2006-04-25, 11:24 PM #10
Shh, let's just ignore the RIAA and they will go away. They just want attention!
2006-04-25, 11:34 PM #11
[QUOTE=Unknown User]Do you think thats possible?

I bet there will be software to combat it though, as there usually is.[/QUOTE]And that software will be illegal. If people use it to produce music they could have criminal charges filed against them.

Look at AACS, for instance. The new anti-piracy system for Blu-ray and HD-DVD. It's as weak as hell. In fact, it's already been broken. But content creators don't care.

The fact is: unless you are a major industry partner, you will not be legally allowed to make content that is protected with AACS. The whole point of this Blu-ray/HD-DVD game is to control the means of distribution, extort money out of other companies and give themselves the legal grounds to do so. It was never about stopping piracy. And, scarily enough, AACS-protected discs can include an update of AACS firmware: effectively allowing any movie company to brick hardware that's made by companies that don't pay up.

Quote:
Exactly. They derive their sense of self worth from their companys bottom line. They think that by extinguishing piracy and maximizing revenues, they are somehow making things better for themselves. Their "enemies" are the people that feed their paychecks in the first place.
The consumer is the enemy, yes. It's not enough to buy their merchandise, but now they want us to buy multiple copies: one for the home theatre, one for the car, one for the ipod, one for plane flights,.....

It's because they don't have enough unique content to sell. The market is at saturation. Look at the movie industry: most of the DVDs released these days are just "Special Editions" of DVDs that came out 2 years ago. And a big reason for this is that Walmart won't stock CDs, DVDs or games that aren't obviously profitable. Note how all of the really cool, fun, experimental games can only be had by importation. I'm surprised we even got Katamari Damacy over here.
2006-04-25, 11:53 PM #12
I'm actually curious to see how far the RIAA/MPAA will go to achieving fascist-like control over all forms of media. Will the American people wisen up to the increasing control or will the RIAA/MPAA succeed in being the sole control of who makes what and on what...

STAY TUNED!
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-04-26, 12:08 AM #13
I have an idea, instead of raising prices for new songs why don't they drop the prices for old songs?
2006-04-26, 8:20 AM #14
because that would mean loss of revenue! the end of the world is nigh!
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2006-04-26, 1:11 PM #15
Damn. Pretty soon they'er gonna knock on my door just cause I was jamming to some Radiohead I downloaded. :rolleyes:

Motherfreakers.
2006-04-26, 1:36 PM #16
Jobs already said he's not raising the prices of songs on iTunes.

Then again, he said there'd never be a video iPod.
D E A T H
2006-04-26, 2:30 PM #17
Developing a new product for a market and shafting your customers aren't the same thing, thankfully. :p
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken

↑ Up to the top!