Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Huge news break!
Huge news break!
2006-04-26, 9:42 PM #1
http://www.gamespy.com/articles/702/702785p1.html

As it turns out, people that play violent video games have a greater tendancy toward smoking marijuana and drinking alcohol.

OH YOU'RE JOKING!!!!!! Wow... I'm blown away. People get stoned and drunk when they play violent videogames? I would have never imagined a connection between getting trashed and playing videogames.... cause... of course, NO ONE ever does that.

If this woman told me she had found this "connection" I would reply to her in the only way I can possibly think of: ****ING DUH!
>>untie shoes
2006-04-26, 9:45 PM #2
Yes! We know!

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/04/12
2006-04-26, 9:45 PM #3
I'm not going to say it.
Pissed Off?
2006-04-26, 9:46 PM #4
Originally posted by Avenger:
I'm not going to say it.

Just smile and nod. ;)
2006-04-26, 9:47 PM #5
Haha. That's funny. I had not seen that yet.
>>untie shoes
2006-04-26, 9:49 PM #6
Can we find a link between games and abortions?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-04-26, 9:51 PM #7
Quick, let's mod pregnant women into GTA and abort them! >.>
2006-04-26, 9:53 PM #8
Yeah, thats why I am a raving drunk, high, psycho lunatic... Really, I swear. :rolleyes:
"You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!" Anyone who recognizes this quote is awsome.
2006-04-26, 11:30 PM #9
Civilization encourages me to have unprotected sex to increase city population.
2006-04-27, 8:54 AM #10
but Halo2 isn't fun unless your stoned or drunk
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2006-04-27, 8:56 AM #11
Well, I like it. And I'm neither stoned or drunk.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2006-04-27, 8:56 AM #12
I've been able to quickload previous points of my life since ever! Geez.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-04-27, 9:01 AM #13
Originally posted by Avenger:
I'm not going to say it.

SAY IT! SAY IIIT!!
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-04-27, 9:56 AM #14
I don't think there's anything directly tying video games to alcohol drugs; I think they're all just popular activities in a specific age bracket.
2006-04-27, 10:17 AM #15
Which is meaningless considering the average age of gamers continues to grow.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-04-27, 11:58 AM #16
[http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1329/200604124be.jpg]

This was just MADE for this thread. :p
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2006-04-27, 1:08 PM #17
You guys are pathetic. You're responding exactly how Dr. Brady said you would, and encouraged you not to. She's making your case for you. If you don't like her findings, do your own research and prove her wrong. She even said that she would love to answer questions about her research methods and would love to see contradictory research.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2006-04-27, 1:36 PM #18
Murder rates in the summer are much higher than any other time of year. Ice cream sales are also much higher than any other time of year. Therefore, ice cream makes you murder people.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-04-27, 2:23 PM #19
I believe video games might have an influence on people who are young, inexperienced, influenciable, spoiled and a complete idiot... if the entired world was like this... I would say yes, but since it isn't, I will say no.

Video games can be good for people from my point of view. I've played many violent video games: Doom 1-3, Quake 1-3, Blood, GTA: SA and Vice City, CS, Americas Army, and many others. Of the ones I've mentioned, only Americas Army had a noticeable impact on me.

There are 3 kinds of people who play video games:
1.- The ones that are not affected (probably 50%)
2.- The ones that are affected negatively (25%)
3.- And finally the ones that are affected positively (25%)

Violent games can make you immune to violence, and/or as well violent yourself. I was alot more violent a couple years ago... now I'm much less violent, but I am immune to phyiscal and emotional violence. These doctors expect people to run from violence like old ladies, but when they see some one who is causing violence or is standing up to violence they just go: "video games".
Nothing to see here, move along.
2006-04-27, 2:51 PM #20
Originally posted by Emon:
Murder rates in the summer are much higher than any other time of year. Ice cream sales are also much higher than any other time of year. Therefore, ice cream makes you murder people.

I know the exact point you're getting at.
Pissed Off?
2006-04-27, 2:58 PM #21
Quote:
I am immune to phyiscal and emotional violence.

LOL.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-04-27, 3:13 PM #22
I'm always drunk and high.

Although Zelda: WW is making me violent right now.
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2006-04-27, 3:24 PM #23
Originally posted by Emon:

[http://www.venganza.org/piratesarecool4.jpg]
2006-04-27, 3:35 PM #24
Yeah, false correlations.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2006-04-27, 4:47 PM #25
Originally posted by SF_GoldG_01:
I believe video games might have an influence on people who are young, inexperienced, influenciable, spoiled and a complete idiot... if the entired world was like this... I would say yes, but since it isn't, I will say no.

Video games can be good for people from my point of view. I've played many violent video games: Doom 1-3, Quake 1-3, Blood, GTA: SA and Vice City, CS, Americas Army, and many others. Of the ones I've mentioned, only Americas Army had a noticeable impact on me.

Violent games can make you immune to violence, and/or as well violent yourself. I was alot more violent a couple years ago... now I'm much less violent, but I am immune to phyiscal and emotional violence. These doctors expect people to run from violence like old ladies, but when they see some one who is causing violence or is standing up to violence they just go: "video games".

...LOL
2006-04-27, 4:49 PM #26
Originally posted by SF_GoldG_01:

87% of statistics are made up on the spot.
2006-04-27, 5:06 PM #27
100% of all Zlocs say that if a mature 13 year old such as Zloc were given a copy of GTA:SA and a controller in his hand, and he played the game, he wouldn't go have buttsex with a hooker and then kill her with a rocket launcher to get his money back in REAL LIFE.

100% of all Zlocs also say that these doctors need to pull their head out of their ***.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-04-27, 5:20 PM #28
I thought violent video games were targeted towards drunks and drugies
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2006-04-27, 5:36 PM #29
After I played Super Smash Bros. I went through a phase of throwing turtle shells at people and writing black M's on all of my tomatoes. I was sorely disappointed when I discovered that this neither made people fly into the air nor made my tomotoes more nutritious.

Seriously, though... maybe they should do a study investigating the effects of online forums on people's memories. Specifically, looking for a gap somewhere around the two-week range.
2006-04-27, 5:53 PM #30
I remember the times when Mario Brothers were considered violent...
Nothing to see here, move along.
2006-04-27, 6:24 PM #31
There's another page to the thing (GameSpy did their own thing)

http://www.gamespy.com/articles/702/702785p3.html

I'm not sure if they're agreeing with her or not haha .. but they're trying to be fair.
一个大西瓜
2006-04-27, 9:39 PM #32
Originally posted by Sarn_Cadrill:
You guys are pathetic. You're responding exactly how Dr. Brady said you would, and encouraged you not to.

That's because it's just not worth an intelligent response. It really isn't.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2006-04-27, 9:43 PM #33
Is she hot?
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum

↑ Up to the top!