Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → My year with the Dvorak Standard Layout
My year with the Dvorak Standard Layout
2006-04-28, 6:42 AM #1
I am sure most of you have heard of this keyboard layout. It was designed by a thoughtful guy who realized that, with improvements in typewriter technology, the qwerty layout, a sort of non-design, could be phased out and replaced with something more tailored to the English language.

The layout is good. No doubt, it is very useful to have all of the vowels on your left hand, the major punctuation on the top row where the QWE are. Indeed, I am sure for whatever language was in use at that time, it was fairly close to ideal.

After a year, I am pretty expert at it. I decided to give layout a real try, and here I am. It's not that great. Though surely being able to move your fingers less sometimes, like if the word is "beautiful" or "Seamus," is great, the benefits are mostly ergonomic, not speed-based. I think that with Dvorak - particularly if the typis t has only ever used it - the chances of repetitive strain problems are much smaller and they may reach a higher level of efficiency than a QWERTY user. But, for those of you on QWERTY, the switch is not really worth it.

That is my conclusion: while Dvorak is superior from a design standpoint, it does not really make a very big difference in performance. It goes without saying (though I will say it) that the time that you take learning it will far exceed the time you save by typing in it. Then, the only major benefit is the better ergonomics and their likely effect on helping prevent RS. I think that correct posture, finger placement, and wise use of breaks to relax your hands will be enough to lower tha t risk. Remember, even though the layout is better, you are still typing, and you'll still have to reach for letters - and these days, the W should really be in a better place.

end exposition
2006-04-28, 6:48 AM #2
Sounds cool.

I've been typing a lot on an AZERTY keyboard lately. The punctuation is all over the ****ing place, that layout is a total disaster.
2006-04-28, 8:01 AM #3
Hmmm, let me guess, on Dvorak the T is near space, right? ;)

I can't be bothered with going away from QWERTZ, as I have to work on too many different computers.
Sorry for the lousy German
2006-04-28, 8:35 AM #4
Wasn't QWERTY designed to reduce typing efficiency?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-04-28, 9:29 AM #5
Originally posted by Echoman:
Wasn't QWERTY designed to reduce typing efficiency?

It is. It was designed by IBM to be the slowest way of typing.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-04-28, 9:40 AM #6
It's because way back when people were typing so fast on mechanical typewriters that the ink heads kept getting stuck. QWERTY was invented to slow typing speeds down so they didn't have to redesign the typewriter they had.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2006-04-28, 10:16 AM #7
Impi, nope.

That post was among my first after switching back to qwerty. I am surprised it turned out as well as it did.
2006-04-28, 11:13 AM #8
But what made you try Dvorak in the first place?

I don't I've seen a Dvorak at the store, but I guess I don't really hang around the keyboard section.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-04-28, 12:54 PM #9
Echoman, just take the keys off and rearrange them.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2006-04-28, 1:03 PM #10
Now that would be a really funny gag gift for someone, take a dvorak and rearage the keys to qwerty.
And watch hilairty ensue.
On a Swedish chainsaw: "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals."
2006-04-28, 1:13 PM #11
I've 're-arranged' keyboards at work, both mine and other peoples. It was surprising really, even people who could touch-type, and were typing in their own password which they would regularly use to login would get stuck. Somehow they just accepted that one day the K and S keys were in a different place, and then couldn't understand why they couldn't login.
2006-04-28, 1:33 PM #12
i don't care about layout, unless they're the keyboards without
Code:
|
\

above the enter key, i can't stand having that key anywhere other then above mah enter
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2006-04-28, 2:28 PM #13
I used to only like keyboards with the double high return key, AND that key above it.

Those are becoming harder and harder to find.
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On

↑ Up to the top!