Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → United 93
United 93
2006-04-28, 12:48 PM #1
I don't know what everyone else thinks, but to me United 93 seems like a movie everyone should see. I would like to see the film, but I don't know if I could even make it through the entire movie. I get teary-eyed just watching the trailer for it. People say that it's too soon to make a film about this, but from what I hear, the movie was made to tell fact and to respect the people on that flight. If anything, I think this film is just what people need. People need to know what happened that day, even if it is almost unwatchable. Thoughts?
Think while it's still legal.
2006-04-28, 12:51 PM #2
[QUOTE=Victor Van Dort] I would like to see the film, but I don't know if I could even make it through the entire movie. I get teary-eyed just watching the trailer for it.[/QUOTE]
Me too. It looks like it could be a really good movie though, so I'm definitely going to see it, no matter how upsetting it may be.
||Arena of Fire || Grand Temple of Fire ||

The man who believes he can and the man who believes he can't are both right. Which are you?
2006-04-28, 12:59 PM #3
I'm not going to see it, no matter how good it may be.
On a Swedish chainsaw: "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals."
2006-04-28, 12:59 PM #4
Meh.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-04-28, 1:01 PM #5
JUST DON'T RUIN THE ENDING FOR ME!
omnia mea mecum porto
2006-04-28, 1:05 PM #6
The plane gets saved at the last second by CAPTIN PLANET
On a Swedish chainsaw: "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals."
2006-04-28, 1:10 PM #7
HE'S A HERO, GONNA TAKE POLLUTION DOWN TO ZERO

HE'S OUR POWER MAGNIFIED AND HE'S FIGHTING ON THE PLANETS SIDE
2006-04-28, 1:13 PM #8
Im not going to see it, not yet at least, cause I have a hard time watching stuff like that
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2006-04-28, 1:14 PM #9
I appreciate what they've tried to do, but it just looks like generic patriotic crap.

[I probably won't post on this thread again, so feel free to flame me is you wish.]
nope.
2006-04-28, 1:17 PM #10
Originally posted by Baconfish:
I appreciate what they've tried to do, but it just looks like generic patriotic crap.

I got that same feeling from the trailer. I'm not saying that it is necessarily, that's just my impression from the trailer.
2006-04-28, 1:19 PM #11
I'll see it. Got no reason not to.
2006-04-28, 1:24 PM #12
Originally posted by djwguitarman:
I'm not going to see it, no matter how good it may be.

Same. Earlier this week I just was given another reason not to watch the movie: the hype people are giving it. I read a letter to the editor the other day in our university's paper about this movie. The letter kept going on about how the people on the flight where heroes. After 9/11 everyone suddenly became a hero. That's always bothered me and this movie is bringing it back.

Plus, because it's so close to finals, I don't really feel like going through all the emotions this movie will bring about...>_>
"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it."
2006-04-28, 1:29 PM #13
There were a ton of heroic people after September 11th
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2006-04-28, 1:34 PM #14
If this becomes an conspiracy film or anti Bush, I'm not going too see it... just simply not.
Nothing to see here, move along.
2006-04-28, 1:38 PM #15
This doesn't seem like a political or "patriotic" film at all. It seems like a film dedicated to a group of people who gave up their lives to save thousands more. If that doesn't make those people heros, I don't know what does.
Completely Overrated Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Comple...59732330769611
A community dedicated to discussing all things entertainment.
2006-04-28, 1:43 PM #16
Originally posted by quesadilla_red:
Same. Earlier this week I just was given another reason not to watch the movie: the hype people are giving it. I read a letter to the editor the other day in our university's paper about this movie. The letter kept going on about how the people on the flight where heroes. After 9/11 everyone suddenly became a hero. That's always bothered me and this movie is bringing it back.

Plus, because it's so close to finals, I don't really feel like going through all the emotions this movie will bring about...>_>

I do agree that the overdose of patriotism after 9/11 was rather annoying, but I don't think it would be fair to say that the passengers of flight 93 weren't heroes. They saved the lives of others by spending their own, and that is the very definition of heroic.

I think, though, that a lot of people both immediately post-9/11, and now with the movie coming out, are being patriotic for the sole reason of being patriotic and not because they actually care, and that bothers me to no end.

In any case, I'm not sure if I'll end up seeing it. I think I'd like to, but I probably won't get around to it.
Moo.
2006-04-28, 2:09 PM #17
Ug. People make controversy out of the stupidest things.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-04-28, 2:31 PM #18
/me sexes kIRBs
2006-04-28, 2:57 PM #19
Since we're on the topic of emotions concerning the attack....

While getting ready for school, my sister told me to come into her room to see what was on the TV. We looked at the first WTC tower that was hit and I believe it was Katie Couric speaking for awhile....and then all of a sudden a plane came out of no where, disappeared behind the the other WTC tower and an explosion errupted from the other side. Later on I was saturated with images of the WTC towers collapsing on themselves. And this new movie comes out and I watch the trailer. I feel nothing. I didn't feel anything back then, I don't feel anything now, I don't feel anything when I think about it. No sadness, no anger, no happiness, no shock. Back then I just shrugged and thought "We'll need to retaliate and take care of business." Now I just shrug and think "We took their country, now some loose ends need to be taken care of." Anyone else experience this?
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2006-04-28, 3:02 PM #20
Yeah.

To be honest I was in first year when it happened, saw it on TV and didn't give a flying one.

Still don't really.
nope.
2006-04-28, 3:08 PM #21
I'm not going to go see it. I think there is too much unkown to make a movie about it.

Plus the overly-patriotic stuff...

Plus the conspiracy stuff... because doubt was planted in my mind as to the truth/accuracy of events happening to this flight.

But yeah.
2006-04-28, 3:13 PM #22
Has anyone else seen this yet?
2006-04-28, 3:37 PM #23
[QUOTE=Mr. Stafford] HE'S A HERO, GONNA TAKE POLLUTION DOWN TO ZERO

HE'S OUR POWER MAGNIFIED AND HE'S FIGHTING ON THE PLANETS SIDE
[/QUOTE]

I won't be seeing it, because I'm an overly emotional little pansy. I cried during the Hulk and Daredevil, and not because of how incredibly crappy the movies were either. I also almost cried during Titanic. Yeah, this movie would be too much.
Attachment: 11566/CaptainPlanetAdopt.jpg (60,153 bytes)
I can't think of anything to put here right now.
2006-04-28, 5:02 PM #24
2nd grade, I was sitting in the back of our car getting out to go inside when my mom turned around and asked me if I knew about the terrorist attack today with the planes and stuff. I had no clue what she was talking about, so she went in and turned on the news to show me. I don't think I realized how serious this was until later.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-04-28, 5:27 PM #25
This movie doesn't affect me anyway. I'll wait until May 26th (X3) to be in a theater again.
2006-04-28, 5:41 PM #26
I have no reason to see the movie, because I already know the basic story. Terrorists tried to take the plane. People said "box cutters? **** you" and fought back. That's what's important: They fought back. I don't need to see a movie to understand that.
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2006-04-28, 6:52 PM #27
I can't begin to understand how you guys "don't feel anything." People died. A lot of people. Whenever I hear news of a person dying, or a group of people dying, or thousands of people dying, it saddens me. Loss of life is a tragedy. To not feel ANYTHING when thinking about all those people who died really shows what kind of person you are deep down.
Completely Overrated Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Comple...59732330769611
2006-04-28, 7:00 PM #28
Or what kind of society we live in. I'm not affected by death on the news anymore, because I hear about it everyday. It's called desensitization.

In any case, I'm not going to see this. Mostly because I hate these kinds of movies.
The tired anthem of a loser and a hypocrite.
2006-04-28, 7:08 PM #29
Because having a hard time feeling bad about people we don't know reflects on some nameless moral/character flaw.

Seriously, human compassion isn't really something I require out of my friends and lovers. I don't know how you can claim that's the bases for judging anyone.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-04-28, 7:24 PM #30
[QUOTE=Darth J]I can't begin to understand how you guys "don't feel anything." People died. A lot of people. Whenever I hear news of a person dying, or a group of people dying, or thousands of people dying, it saddens me. Loss of life is a tragedy. To not feel ANYTHING when thinking about all those people who died really shows what kind of person you are deep down.[/QUOTE]

Because these people died, I should see a movie about them? Why? I already know what happened.

"I'm not seeing the movie." "Well, then you have no morales!" It's The Passion all over again.
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2006-04-28, 8:37 PM #31
Quote:
I can't begin to understand how you guys "don't feel anything." People died. A lot of people. Whenever I hear news of a person dying, or a group of people dying, or thousands of people dying, it saddens me. Loss of life is a tragedy. To not feel ANYTHING when thinking about all those people who died really shows what kind of person you are deep down.
Just because someone doesn't get emotional over death doesn't mean they are a bad person. Desensitization, understanding the reality of death, or just not wanting to dwell on it are all valid reasons for not being affected by death. Get a clue before you shoot your mouth off and try to demean others just because they don't have the same emotions as you.
2006-04-28, 10:11 PM #32
<3 Kieran
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-04-28, 10:12 PM #33
No you don't. You just use me for my body.
2006-04-28, 10:31 PM #34
[QUOTE=Darth J]I can't begin to understand how you guys "don't feel anything." People died. A lot of people. Whenever I hear news of a person dying, or a group of people dying, or thousands of people dying, it saddens me. Loss of life is a tragedy. To not feel ANYTHING when thinking about all those people who died really shows what kind of person you are deep down.[/QUOTE]

People die every day. It makes me angry to know that they were murdered, but honestly, I knew none of them. I was more emotionally disturbed when my dog died.* It's not that I don't care, it's just how you react to things. If you reacted fully to everything that was not a large part of your life you'd go insane. I'm not going to try to sit around and try feel emotional about things that are not part of my life. There are better ways of respecting people's deaths than to attempt to feel an emotion for them that you will never be properly able to feel.

To us they are a statistic. Words on a page. Movies help us to commiserate with the fact that people died, but to try to share the sorrow that is reserved for loved ones is dishonest. They were not a part of your life, and you will have your own to mourn in time.

*This of course does not mean that I think that's it's a worse thing that my dog died. :rolleyes:
2006-04-29, 7:55 AM #35
One of my uncles worked in the WTC when it was attacked. Everyone is our family freaked out, but then we found out that he was across the street getting bagels at the time, so it's all good.
It took a while for you to find me; I was hiding in the lime tree.
2006-04-29, 9:55 AM #36
If you were talking about not feeling even the smallest bit of an emotional hicup when you first hear the news of something like this, then you may, by some stretch, have a point.
But we've all heard this. We've been told the story of what happened, there's no new info to be given.
When you first hear about it, yes, you should feel something.
If you continue to mourn for people you don't know years after their death, well, they have a word for that: Emo.
2006-04-29, 12:58 PM #37
So I'm suppose to get emotional everytime I hear someone die? Sorry, but I rather not as I don't want it to impede my work and studies. Honestly, when I first saw the towers collapse; I honestly thought more about what the hell caused it instead of the lives lost. Even when I learn of the number of lives lost; I didn't feel anything either (but I can't understand why it's tragic). For me, it is nothing more than statistics and numbers as someone pointed out.
2006-04-29, 1:40 PM #38
[QUOTE=Kieran Horn]No you don't. You just use me for my body.[/QUOTE]

Love is love. Shut up and take it like a man.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-04-29, 6:41 PM #39
Perhaps I wasn't clear in my post; for that I apologize. The people I was referring to are those who say they flat out don't care that the people died. That's the part I can't understand, how can you not care? That's just as bad as saying "I don't care that Hitler killed all those people." It's something I can't grasp, but I do appreciate the backlash. I'll check off compassion on my list of things that are no longer necessary in society.
2006-04-29, 7:46 PM #40
[QUOTE=Darth J]Perhaps I wasn't clear in my post; for that I apologize. The people I was referring to are those who say they flat out don't care that the people died. That's the part I can't understand, how can you not care? That's just as bad as saying "I don't care that Hitler killed all those people." It's something I can't grasp, but I do appreciate the backlash. I'll check off compassion on my list of things that are no longer necessary in society.[/QUOTE]

Godwin.
Epstein didn't kill himself.

↑ Up to the top!