Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → New Ride...and a summer project!
New Ride...and a summer project!
2006-04-29, 1:17 AM #1
Bought a 1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS with T Tops just this morning. It has a 350 cubic inch motor (about 5.7 liters if thats how you like to say it) which was installed in 2002 and only has 58,000 miles on it. It has throttle body injection, which is a type of fuel injection that has two fuel injectors up in the throttle body instead of one for each cylinder, which is what most modern engines have. It looks like a carburetor, but its not. The transmission was recently rebuilt and has about 20,000 miles on it. I bought it from a friend. I paid $1500.

My mom drove me down to where it was located, about 100 miles southeast. I drove it home, and it performed beautifully the whole drive home. Wind in my face, sun shining and all. My face is 50/50 sunburned, only burned on the left side and my left arm is sunburned. It was a picture perfect day, I had the tops off and I cruised the whole way home. I've been wanting a third generation F body for a long time now (Thats any Camaro/Firebird from 1982-1992) and i'm so stoked that I finally got one. It needs a tad bit of work done before I would trust it to be my daily driver, but its definately going to be my summer project. It sure hauls some ***, i'll tell you that much! Just a tad too much on the throttle is all it takes to roast the tires. I'm guessing it puts down about 200 horsepower and 400 pound feet of torque.

Driver side fender panel is slightly damaged and may need to be replaced, its missing some peices of interior trim, missing a few screws and bolts here and there, needs a paint job, and basically needs a whole new interior, its pretty gross to be honest with ya.

She looks like **** right now, but what kinda of car does $1500 get you anyway? I've already started working on the interior, everything is stripped but the drivers seat and i'm going to be ordering some new door panels and a do-it-yourself carpet kit in the next couple days. Needs a MAJOR tune, its still pushing through the stock 305 exhaust manifolds (the car originally had a puny 305) and its still running on the stock 305 computer chip, which i'm sure is making it run like ****.

So....what do the Massassians think about my new ride?

[http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/8020/pside9ai.jpg]

[http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/5876/p42800797oy.jpg]

[http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/6959/p42800780at.jpg]
2006-04-29, 3:34 AM #2
I think there is only one word you could use and thats yes. It does not look that big and looks like its a car you park easily. My dad does not seem to see parking as a problem with his 406E, (he cant get it in his garage). It also looks like you have been doing what most proud owners of cars do and give it a good hoover. Fantastic ride! :cool:

Hope you have great times with it :)
2006-04-29, 5:42 AM #3
dash... i love that car. the colour and the model and the t-roofs. and it's not because i'm half italian. i love those cars.
2006-04-29, 6:25 AM #4
$1500?!

Jesus, what a steal!
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2006-04-29, 6:32 AM #5
Nice car. Always loved the 90's Zs. Almost got a 2000 white RS with T tops. Decided I didn't have extra money to blow.

Looks like it needs tires. They look bald from the pics.
-There are easier things in life than finding a good woman, like nailing Jello to a tree, for instance

Tazz
2006-04-29, 9:05 AM #6
That car has more than 200 hp. It's probably over 300.
Pissed Off?
2006-04-29, 9:14 AM #7
Get a hobbie!
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2006-04-29, 9:24 AM #8
Originally posted by Ruthven:
Get a hobbie!

Like dressing up and playing JK?

:D
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2006-04-29, 9:32 AM #9
Very nice, Is it missing the passenger seat or did you just remove it?
You said it was missing some interior trim, I didn't think that would include a seat.
:eek:
On a Swedish chainsaw: "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals."
2006-04-29, 9:43 AM #10
Paint it black. :)
幻術
2006-04-29, 1:21 PM #11
Not sure what kinda tranny you have Dash but I have a turbohydrolic 400 for possible sale.. I also have upgrades for every internal peice for the 350, but it depends if you 350 is 2 bolt or 4 bolt main.. roller rockers, eldebrock intake mani, moroso oil pan, to name a few... was going to drop my 350sbc and th400 for my project car but I've decided to use a different kind of powerplant.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2006-04-29, 7:23 PM #12
Originally posted by Z@NARDI:
Not sure what kinda tranny you have Dash but I have a turbohydrolic 400 for possible sale.. I also have upgrades for every internal peice for the 350, but it depends if you 350 is 2 bolt or 4 bolt main.. roller rockers, eldebrock intake mani, moroso oil pan, to name a few... was going to drop my 350sbc and th400 for my project car but I've decided to use a different kind of powerplant.

Ahhh, I may be interested in some parts depending on what you have. I dont need internals, but I could use minor things like cap, rotor, PCV valve or whatever its called, plug wires, etc etc..have anything like that? Turbo 400 would be nice for around town and track, and I would jump all over it but I would like to stick with the 700R4 that I have because I need the overdrive.

Will the intake manifold work with TBI to your knowledge?
2006-04-29, 7:40 PM #13
Originally posted by Ruthven:
Get a hobbie!

Wouldn't this qualify as a hobby? Restoring a car???
"You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!" Anyone who recognizes this quote is awsome.
2006-04-29, 10:12 PM #14
Originally posted by Gondaggle:
I think there is only one word you could use and thats yes. It does not look that big and looks like its a car you park easily. My dad does not seem to see parking as a problem with his 406E, (he cant get it in his garage). It also looks like you have been doing what most proud owners of cars do and give it a good hoover. Fantastic ride! :cool:

Hope you have great times with it :)

lol, you judge a car by how easily it is parked? Hmm, I dont know if I could ever think like that. This thing is a pretty big car, its a pain in the butt to drive around small parking lots and it turns about as wide as your average battleship. Who cares about that though? Just little side effects of having such a car, you learn to live with it. Its all about the roar once you get out on the road.

Originally posted by Avenger:
That car has more than 200 hp. It's probably over 300.

Naw man, in fact I bet in its under 200. Small Block Chevy like this one gets all its grunt from the torque at lower RPMs, thats what really puts your *** in your seat. Its not uncommon for torque to be double the horsepower. 454 (7.4L) TBI from a truck (exact same throttle body I have) made about 230 Horsepower, but close to 600 lb-ft of torque if I remember correctly. Of course you can have a 500 horsepower 350, but thats a whole different realm than what I have under my hood. This is an engine that was designed for torque and longevity. Its definitely one of the simplest, most reliable and most sucessful engine designs out there. My friend had the exact same motor in his Chevy truck, and he sold it with over 400,000 miles on the original motor and it still ran like a champ.
2006-04-29, 11:16 PM #15
very nice dude. Good luck with the restoration and whatnot.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2006-04-29, 11:30 PM #16
You're probably running something like 245hp / 345ft/lbs -- that was stock for that year's 350ci. Of course, you probably aren't running a stock '92 350, but the numbers should be somewhere near there.
"And lo, let us open up into the holy book of Proxy2..." -genk
His pot is blacker than his kettle!
2006-04-30, 2:12 AM #17
Originally posted by LordVirus:
You're probably running something like 245hp / 345ft/lbs -- that was stock for that year's 350ci. Of course, you probably aren't running a stock '92 350, but the numbers should be somewhere near there.

Those sound like the numbers for a 350ci TPI motor, which would have come in a Camaro Z28 or a Corvette in 1991 (was it 1992 that Vettes got the LT1? I know the Z28 got it in 93). I think they are closer however still a bit higher than what I have. The motor in my car was brand new from GM in 2002, however it was a stock replacement L05 5.7L crate motor for a 1989 - 93 Caprice 9C1 Cop Car.

About the passenger seat - I took it out to vacuum underneath it.
2006-04-30, 6:40 AM #18
er, my previous comment was a joke.

oh and sol... Shhhh!!
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2006-04-30, 5:56 PM #19
I do not envy your car...
Attachment: 11610/DSC00296.JPG (142,507 bytes)
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

-G Man
2006-04-30, 6:41 PM #20
Originally posted by KnightRider2000:
I do not envy your car...

You should be. If anything, his car looks 50x better than yours. :p
2006-04-30, 7:42 PM #21
Shiny.

Clean the tires first. :p
woot!
2006-04-30, 9:54 PM #22
Knightrider - I envy the cosmetic shape your car is in, but I do not envy the wimpy L69 motor that you have under that hood :p Go before show! [http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/images/smilies/burnout.gif]

BTW...are you on thirdgen.org at all? If not....you should check it out. Definitely the best 3rd gen f-body resource on the net.

↑ Up to the top!