Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → JK mouse sensitivity.
JK mouse sensitivity.
2006-04-30, 7:38 PM #1
I miss good ol' JK but I've been spoiled by new engine's superior mouse control.
In jk with the "map directly to axis" checked and sensitivity at the lowest, it's still way too fast and gives me a headache.
With out it check and sensitivity at the highest it's really sluggish.

Yall know any work arounds for this?
On a Swedish chainsaw: "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals."
2006-04-30, 7:39 PM #2
I had no problem with the sensitivity..

so..uh..

learn to live with it?
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-04-30, 7:45 PM #3
Agree'd. The only time you really need a less sensitive mouse is if you are a sniper in some games. If you have good aim, you can turn up the sensitivity.
"Oh my god. That just made me want to start cutting" - Aglar
"Why do people from ALL OVER NORTH AMERICA keep asking about CATS?" - Steven, 4/1/2009
2006-04-30, 7:51 PM #4
Quote:
so..uh..

learn to live with it?

Uh... I can't,
LIke I said, it's either so slow it's unplayable or it's too fast that it makes me sick.
If there's no way to change it just say so, don't be rude about it.
On a Swedish chainsaw: "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals."
2006-04-30, 8:40 PM #5
MX500
2006-04-30, 8:49 PM #6
I honestly have to agree...

JK and MotS are REALLY sensitive to the mouse. I haven't played for awhile because of that.... and the fact that running just about IS force speed. >< The game is too fast compared to everything else I play now. At least in terms of movement....
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2006-04-30, 9:52 PM #7
Originally posted by Anovis:
MX500

care to elaborate?
2006-04-30, 10:20 PM #8
You want to modify the PLR file for your player. Look in Jedi Knight\player\playerName. Then open up playerName.plr. It contains all the key bindings and settings for your player. Look for the following lines:

bind 1 12 0xd <somenumber>

bind 8 13 0x9 <somenumber>

Where <somenumber> is a float for mouse sensitivity. One of them is for the X axis and one of them for the Y. I don't know, because mine are the same values so it doesn't matter. Just change those, save and play. It'll take some testing, so use the closest in-game setting as a point of reference.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-05-01, 12:05 AM #9
I love the speed of JK/MotS. Better than any other game's.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2006-05-01, 5:02 AM #10
Ditto.

Fast is better. Gives you more control because you can look around faster.

I have it on map directly to axis value and about 1/3 of the way along... and i'm using an MX1000. I just prefer fast mouse speed.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2006-05-01, 5:49 AM #11
Originally posted by djwguitarman:
care to elaborate?

Different mouse sensitivity options by just clicking the plus or minus sign on the top of the mouse. I just posted this particular mouse because it's mine :)

Also, I too like the fast mouse sensitivity. You can't be #1 in the score charts without it.
2006-05-01, 7:18 AM #12
Originally posted by TheJkWhoSaysNi:
Ditto.

Indeed. That's the main reason I'll never play first person games on consoles. Last saturday I was at a friend's and they were playing Metroid on the gamecube. God, that's just unbareble to watch. That game would've been so much more awesome if it had been developped for the PC.
APT 1, 2, 3/4, 5/6
TDT
DMDMD

http://veddertheshredder.com
2006-05-01, 7:28 AM #13
Did you actually try to play Metroid? The control system works perfectly for it. I honestly get the feeling that if it had been developed for PC it would've just melded into the crowd of samey FPS's. As it is, it stands out as it's own game. Still, I don't usually have a preference between different control types. I'm usually playing one game at a time, or if I'm playing more than one they aren't in the same genre, so I don't have the issue of having to readjust everytime I switch.
2006-05-01, 9:50 AM #14
Originally posted by TheJkWhoSaysNi:

I would normaly agree. Honestly I don't know why the speed of JK seems to be bothering me now as it didn't for years. but at the same time, for years it was the only FPS I played.
I really don't think it's the speed itself that bothers me, atleast not the horizontal speed.
I really think it's the vertical speed, or some combination thereof that after playing for only a few minutes, makes me feel like I'm going to puke.

Thanks Emon, that helps, I'll give it a shot next chance I get.
2006-05-01, 3:05 PM #15
I love the JK speed, it was perfect. UT is the only thing I have found that cames close but I still am in love with JK. most new FPS are too slow for me, (I do enjoy Halo though scince it all worked so well)
“Without education we are in a horrible and deadly danger of taking educated people seriously.” -G.K. Chesterton
2006-05-01, 4:10 PM #16
I have notice that over the years as the FPS evolved, games are getting slower and slower when it comes to running speed. It's funny how acustom we become to the slower speed that when playing games like Dark Forces, walking speed feels normal and running speed feels like I'm sprinting.

I remember when my brother-in-law came over to play some Duke Nukem 3D on LAN with me, he thought Duke ran like the wind and thought that the walking speed was perfect. The only other FPS he has played is the Halo games. Funny how the genre turned out that way, eh?
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2006-05-01, 4:55 PM #17
"Map directly to axis" ignores the sensitivity level. It shouldn't be used for look left/right.

2006-05-01, 5:20 PM #18
why not? it's too slow without it.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW

↑ Up to the top!