Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → A REAL Gaming Computer For Sale
A REAL Gaming Computer For Sale
2006-05-04, 12:48 PM #1
Or at least closer.

I'm selling my computer. After two years of faithfulness, I need an upgrade.

$500 (+shipping) for:

Case: ATX. Kinda beaten up. Two side fan slots, one front fan slot, one back. Works well enough for me.
Biostar motherboard (post model # when I get home, it actually works really well)
AMD Athlon XP 1800+ 1.53ghz @ 2.03 ghz (2700+~2800+ effectively)
2x512mb of PC3200 Corsair Value RAM (2-3-3-6 I think)
1x40gb Maxtor 7200RPM 2mb cache HDD
500watt PSU (worked pretty well for me so far)
Chaintech 6800GT (I've gotten it to Ultra speeds and beyond with Coolbits)
8x DVD+/-R 4x DVD+/-RW 24x CD-R burner.

What you're not getting:
Windows XP (I don't have an official version), or any other operating system for that matter.

I'll erase the HDD for you, or let you do it yourself I don't really care. If you want to spend a little more money however...

Monitor: $50 17" ViewSonic A17f+ or something like that. 17" Flatscreen CRT with reflective protection. Meaning no glares. It works really well, has great contrast/color. Also gotta pay more for shipping.

Keyboard: Saitek Enterprise Edition. Couple keys are cracked, (right shift and enter), but otherwise unharmed. Thing's awesome. $20

Mouse: MX518. A bit worn off on the logitech symbol. $20

Speakers: Logitech Z3e's, the cord's coming loose, free with purchase of computer. Well, like 10 bucks for shipping.

Mousepad: Icemat Revision 2--works FINE with optical mice, do not try a laser mouse on it. 10 bucks with purchase of mouse, 20 separate.

All prices include shipping, unless otherwise specified. I need an upgrade, but first I need money to do it.

Also, not gonna ship outside the US unless you feel like paying for shipping, payment must be in USD, and you must be available (ie, don't just send me a PM if you've been lurking for years and then when you don't respond after that expect it to be sold to you).
D E A T H
2006-05-04, 1:04 PM #2
$500 to have it all put together for you is not a bad deal.
Pissed Off?
2006-05-04, 1:13 PM #3
All that together is a good price. You couldn't build something new for that cheap.
2006-05-04, 1:36 PM #4
Oh, and Yoshi, I'll give you $50 for the video card.

>.>

<.<
2006-05-04, 1:38 PM #5
Sure, as long as that $50 comes with a hundred or so tacked on :p
D E A T H
2006-05-04, 1:39 PM #6
its pretty good for the price, it'd be a good starter system for someone.

K the processor and hard drive could (possibly) do with a little updating but I am a bit of a hore when it comes to hard drive space and the athlon xp probably has a bit more head room with a better heat sink + fan.

Anyways good luck in selling it, I'm going to be building my system come october-ish hopefully after the dust of both conroe and AM2 being released has settled.
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2006-05-04, 1:41 PM #7
[QUOTE=James Bond]its pretty good for the price, it'd be a good starter system for someone.

K the processor and hard drive could (possibly) do with a little updating but I am a bit of a hore when it comes to hard drive space and the athlon xp probably has a bit more head room with a better heat sink + fan.

Anyways good luck in selling it, I'm going to be building my system come october-ish hopefully after the dust of both conroe and AM2 being released has settled.[/QUOTE]
I would wait, but when you think about it--Conroe's going to be too expensive (in normal Intel fashion), and AM2 probably won't be much of an upgrade, nothing that won't hit 939 as is.

But it IS just a starter system. And for 500 it's pretty good, I think.
D E A T H
2006-05-04, 1:48 PM #8
[edit- Stop derailing this thread]
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

-G Man
2006-05-04, 1:50 PM #9
I've been saving up, got about $2500 in the bank now and I'll (hopefully) be doing my PhD by then and I'll be being paid ~$2000 a month to live like a student for 4 more years :p, university rocks.

I probably won't actually buy the processor and motherboard till november-ish anyhow.

although saying all that, I do think intel might try to get the edge slightly on AMD by pricing the new processors at similar levels to AM2 (wishful thinking I know, but it might happen)

Anyways, back on topic,

buy Yoshi's computer
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2006-05-04, 1:59 PM #10
If it's such a poor value, perhaps you could prove it by proving us with a parts list manifest from newegg. If not, go away.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-05-04, 1:59 PM #11
Originally posted by KnightRider2000:
Don't buy it. For that much $ you can buy a PC that is 10x better off Newegg. And a 40 gb HDD, won't do much for a good game enthusiast. And having to buy an OS and some more HDD space will set you back another $200.

The CPU sucks, and so does the HD, but he's got a very nice video card in there, along with a good amount of fast RAM.

But hell, just to humor (I mean make massive fun of) you:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145440

2 sticks of corsair 512MB, 3200. $84 after shipping

(Out of stock, but anyway) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814121192

Asus 6800GT 256MB. $245 after shipping.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817163031

Cheapo 500W PSU. $37 after shipping.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819104160

AMD Duron 1.8ghz. Closest to an AMD 1800+ that Newegg still sells: $49 after shipping

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822140167

Maxtor 40GB HD. $47.50 after shipping.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813138234

Biostar NForce2 Socket A mobo. $64 after shipping (rounded up a few cents)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827131031

DVD+/-RW 16x. It's faster, but oh well. Don't sell equivalent drives to his anymore. $38 (Free shipping)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811148012

Case of equivalent size (4 bays, 4 fans). $79 after shipping. (A bit more than a supercheap one would be though, but it doesn't matter at this point)

TOTAL: $643.50

TOTAL for YOSHI'S TOWER (after shipping): $530 estimated.

CONCLUSION: KNIGHTRIDER KNOWS NOTHING ABOUT PCs.

I'd like to thank everyone for their help, namely NewEgg, my english teacher, common sense, the internet, and Windows Calculator! It was a fun trip, and I'd do it again if I had the chance!
2006-05-04, 2:00 PM #12
that seems like a pretty steep price. i bought a rig with better stats than that for $75.
2006-05-04, 2:02 PM #13
Not to mention my CPU is overclocked 500MHz. Which, for an AMD, is like 750 MHz, next to a comparable Intel (the Intel C line).

I'm not threadcrapping, I'm just warning people not to buy a PC that is unequally weighted. Last time I checked this was nothing wrong with disagreeing with someone's opinion in a thread, you seem to do it all the time.

Besides, I'm not the one insinuating people to use a pirated OS.

Oh yea, and deleting posts just cause I show a PC that is cheaper and can be better than yours with a new GPU is pretty much crap.

Dude, I'm trying to MOVE A PIECE OF HARDWARE. FOR MONEY. It has nothing to do with you, your opinions, anything like that. It has to do with me moving this hardware FOR MONEY. I need money. I don't need you spouting off your stupid BS. Now shut the **** up. And, for the record, what you're doing is the DEFINITION of threadcrapping.

Warlord--I hope you were being facetious.
D E A T H
2006-05-04, 2:11 PM #14
i'm just joking about the price seeming steep, but i did in fact get a really nice computer for only $75 and i like to brag about it. cause its cool.
2006-05-04, 2:13 PM #15
Hehhe, I couldn't imagine buying and using a computer that used to be yours. I might get impulsive urges to damage it. ;)
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-05-04, 2:22 PM #16
This is my last post due to a warning I got from admin. Just to let you know me and my friend are laughing at your posts right now.

If you'd just admit you're wrong (as I just proved you are), then there wouldn't be such a problem.

You cannot buy a computer equivalent to what he has on newegg for $500. Period.
2006-05-04, 2:25 PM #17
my friend

lol
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-05-04, 2:25 PM #18
FOR SALE
KEVIN’S HIGH-END CUSTOM PERSONAL COMPUTER

• Overclocked Celeron D 335, 3.04 GHz (Fast!)
• 768 MB of RAM
• Overclocked ATI Radeon 9600 XT Graphics Card (Even faster, great for games, movies, and so much more.)
• Creative 24- Bit Sound Blaster Live! (Great for high quality music)
• 80 GB Western Digital Hard Drive
• DVD-RW/CD-RW Combo Burner/Reader
• Totally customized for OPTIMUM PERFORMACE in, GAMES, VIDEOS, MUSIC, and ANYTHING you need to do.
• This computer is the best for the money. The whole unit is worth a lot of money, and I hate to depart with it, but it must be sold.
You get ALL this for the low price of

$500

HAHAHA

No RAM, crappy CPU, crappy graphics.
2006-05-04, 2:26 PM #19
Speaking of computers, I just got my case today.

This is my first "my own put together" computer.

I'm stuck on the part where I remove the I/O thing.
2006-05-04, 2:57 PM #20
I'm not threadcrapping, I'm just warning people not to buy a PC that is unequally weighted. Last time I checked this was nothing wrong with disagreeing with someone's opinion in a thread, you seem to do it all the time.

Oh yea, and deleting posts just cause I show a PC that is cheaper and can be better than yours with a new GPU is pretty much crap.

You know, you have no real knowledge of computers (and thats been proven by your idiotic omg I'm selling a gaming pc but its really an outdated piece of ****) and Yoshi supported you selling yours a few months back. So why do you bother running around warning us not to buy it? If Jon'C or Coolmatty told me not to, then I'd turn around and do a little research. But YOU. You have no credibility. You said you were selling a High-End Gaming Computer when you were selling outdated hardware that could hardly run games that came out this year. [Removed rest for reason of not getting banned again]
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-05-04, 3:38 PM #21
This is my last post due to a warning I got from admin. Just to let you know me and my friend are laughing at your posts right now.

(Yes, very mild launguage.)

http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20030606

*cough*
2006-05-04, 3:40 PM #22
Interested in parting it out?
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2006-05-04, 3:43 PM #23

why dont you keep your mouth shut, if someone wants to buy it let them buy it damn..
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2006-05-04, 3:45 PM #24
Originally posted by Jepman:
...when you were selling outdated hardware that could hardly run games that came out this year.

eh, do you have any idea what games have come out this year?

If you do, then you're just exaggerating a lot right there.
2006-05-04, 3:48 PM #25
[QUOTE=IRG SithLord]eh, do you have any idea what games have come out this year?

If you do, then you're just exaggerating a lot right there.[/QUOTE]
Heroes of Might and Magic 4--Runs barely on my comp. Oblivion--Runs okay on my comp. Would NOT run on that celeron piece.

Originally posted by Z@NARDI:
Interested in parting it out?

Perhaps. Depends on what you want to buy, and for how much.
D E A T H
2006-05-04, 4:30 PM #26
im interested in that graphics card :-)
2006-05-04, 4:34 PM #27
How much? Keep in mind you also have to pay shipping.

If you guys want to make offers you can either PM me or post it here. I don't care which.
D E A T H
2006-05-04, 4:41 PM #28
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]How much? Keep in mind you also have to pay shipping.

If you guys want to make offers you can either PM me or post it here. I don't care which.[/QUOTE]

is it agp or pci express?
2006-05-04, 4:53 PM #29
AGP
D E A T H
2006-05-04, 5:16 PM #30
Is it a Biostar M7NCG 400? I found it to be a reasonably good board for overclocking. I could easily push my Athlon XP 2500+ to 3200+ and my 2x512mb PC2700 Kingston Value Ram to PC3200 (assuming I raised the right voltages). Pretty surprising considering how much cheaper Biostar boards are.
[This message has been edited. Deal with it.]
2006-05-04, 5:18 PM #31
Originally posted by Malus:
Is it a Biostar M7NCG 400? I found it to be a reasonably good board for overclocking. I could easily push my Athlon XP 2500+ to 3200+ and my 2x512mb PC2700 Kingston Value Ram to PC3200 (assuming I raised the right voltages). Pretty surprising considering how much cheaper Biostar boards are.

Yeah, that sounds right actually.

Also, ragna, if you have any old PCI video cards you don't use anymore that you could send my way with the money that'd be great. Just for temporary use. Seems I lost my Ti4400.
D E A T H
2006-05-04, 7:14 PM #32
Well...actually...nevermind.

I would be willing to take the RAM and HDD from you, however.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-05-04, 7:22 PM #33
Okay. How much?
D E A T H
2006-05-04, 7:58 PM #34
I haven't a clue as to what those are worth...are there any reasonable prices you could put on those? I'll look them up on newegg.com for a reference, but I don't know what used parts usually go for.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-05-04, 8:17 PM #35
60/30+shipping=100 total.

60 for th RAM. 30 for the HDD.
D E A T H
2006-05-04, 9:00 PM #36
Originally posted by Zloc_Vergo:
I haven't a clue as to what those are worth...are there any reasonable prices you could put on those? I'll look them up on newegg.com for a reference, but I don't know what used parts usually go for.

... I just did all that. READ THE FRICKIN THREAD!

And I'd knock off $5 off the newegg price because they aren't new, especially the HD.
2006-05-06, 12:12 PM #37
Bump.
D E A T H
2006-05-06, 12:14 PM #38
:banned:
2006-05-06, 2:04 PM #39
Anovis is psychic.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2006-05-06, 5:34 PM #40
Originally posted by Jepman:
If Jon'C or Coolmatty told me not to, then I'd turn around and do a little research.
That said, there's nothing wrong with paying $500 for this computer. It's a bit outdated but it's still a perfectly capable machine. The only thing I'd replace if I bought it would be the PSU, and that would just be to protect my investment.

↑ Up to the top!