Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → NeSi web design
NeSi web design
2006-05-07, 11:19 AM #1
Alright people, the NeS comic could use everyone's input on the matter, in regards to the site design itself. First off, I would like everyone to see the current website design:

http://nes.sorrowind.net

On a 1 to 10, 1 being puke-worthy and 10 being giving you an orgasm, please tell us what you think of the site's aesthetics and accessibility is in general. Tell us what you like and don't like about it, in general and with whatever specifics spark your attention. We will assume that if you don't say anything, you are indifferent on the matter.

Also, please tell us what you would want to see in a redesign of the website. Feel free to link to other websites and tell us what about those sites you like and would wish to see on the NeS comic site.

I know cross-linking is prohibited, but in this case, I hope it's understandable if I link the following progress Jepman is making on a new look for the site:

http://forums.massassi.net/vb3/showthread.php?t=41155

Thank you for your time, and any and all feedback you can give on the matter would be greatly appreciated. Jepman and I are having difficulty agreeing on what we would want in a redesign, so I'm hoping you all can help us find a middle ground.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2006-05-07, 11:35 AM #2
The part I designed gets a 1 because I designed it. That was a mistake. >.>

2006-05-07, 11:38 AM #3
[QUOTE=The Mega-ZZTer]The part I designed gets a 1 because I designed it. That was a mistake. >.>[/QUOTE]

What part did you design again? I thought you just did the coding.
2006-05-07, 11:40 AM #4
Well I designed the bits and pieces around the coding... basically the stuff that's not the navbar or the title image.

Although looking through it it does look like CM tweaked the design of the archive page a bit.

2006-05-07, 11:41 AM #5
3, going on 6 if it wasn't in Times New Roman.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2006-05-07, 11:48 AM #6
design: 3

the green/yellow color scheme hurts the eyes. it's also really ugly. in addition, i suggest the color schemes of both the forums and the website be the same.

also, the garamond/helvetica font group is not a good font choice for a website (well, you're using trebuchet but same diff). it's great for desktop publishing and looks great on paper, but for a website, it's a little too complex (especially if you have it small like in your website). try a clean-cut font like arial/verdana. it's not a biggie though.

accessibility: 7

it has a very traditional design, but hey, it works. i like the way the archive is laid out and organized.

edit: scratch helvetica. it's a good font to use, was confused
2006-05-07, 11:49 AM #7
I'd have to give it a Deadman on the orgasm scale (~3). It could get a Fishstickz (~5 or so) if you upped the font size and widened the navigation bar on the left- the proportions just feel off.
In Soviet ISB, NeS writes YOU!
2006-05-07, 11:55 AM #8
The design looks like it's from 1995 :p The flow and layout is fine, though

Keep the same thing and use a different stylesheet that prettifies it and it'd be good
一个大西瓜
2006-05-07, 12:10 PM #9
2. Just cause ive seen worse.

The news section is too wide, the navigation section is too skinny.
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2006-05-07, 12:12 PM #10
Originally posted by ragna:
also, the garamond/helvetica font group is not a good font choice for a website (well, you're using trebuchet but same diff). it's great for desktop publishing and looks great on paper, but for a website, it's a little too complex (especially if you have it small like in your website). try a clean-cut font like arial/verdana. it's not a biggie though.

Don't tell people to use arial in websites, it's a print font.

Anywho.

Old design is about a 2. Fonts, borders, colours, layout are all bad for the nature of the content. I also wouldn't bother having forums until you have a proper readership.

Jep's new design is about a 6, it's generally a more suitable layout and colour scheme for a webcomic but it falls short of being "great".
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2006-05-07, 12:22 PM #11
Arial is perfectly fine for web. Sans serif fonts are easier to read.

However, I personally dont like arial and would much rather see Trebuchet MS or something similar to that.
2006-05-07, 12:34 PM #12
Arial is less attractive on screen because it's doesn't scale properly to pixel sizes. It's not any harder to read, but screen fonts will generally look better.

If you use a font outside its designed usage the typeface is degraded, like using Verdana for anything larger than body text.
Flickr Twitter
2006-05-07, 12:48 PM #13
Originally posted by Detty:
Don't tell people to use arial in websites, it's a print font..

you don't know what you are talking about. arial is a sans-serif font, and like others in this family, is great for the web. as stated in wikipedia, "when read on a computer monitor, however, pixelation makes sans-serif fonts look cleaner than serif fonts, leading to their widespread use for body text on-screen."

and in fact, for printed materials, "sans-serif fonts are typically suited for headlines but not for body text. serifs help guide the eye along the line; the lack of serifs makes sans-serif fonts harder to read in large blocks of text."

and if you don't know what serifs are, they are the curves and plateaus at the ends of letters.
2006-05-07, 12:52 PM #14
I like that design on Jepmans page thats about halfway done. The only thing I dont like is the Comic Sans font.
2006-05-07, 12:53 PM #15
Arial is less attractive on screen because it's doesn't scale properly to pixel sizes. It's not any harder to read, but screen fonts will generally look better.

If you use a font outside its designed usage the typeface is degraded, like using Verdana for anything larger than body text.

Less attractive, but doesnt mean it cant be used :p
2006-05-07, 1:17 PM #16
True, out of all the print fonts, it's most suitable for use on screen. But there are far more attractive alternatives that are widely installed.

And ragna, I may not be an expert on typography but you've already proved to me that I know more about it than you do.
Flickr Twitter
2006-05-07, 1:33 PM #17
Personally I'm fond of Veranda
2006-05-07, 1:47 PM #18
True, out of all the print fonts, it's most suitable for use on screen. But there are far more attractive alternatives that are widely installed.

And ragna, I may not be an expert on typography but you've already proved to me that I know more about it than you do.

excuse me :confused: ? i'm not the one who just failed here. in fact, you clearly made a facetious statement about arial not scaling correctly to pixel sizes, when in fact they do.
2006-05-08, 12:46 AM #19
Originally posted by Pommy:
The design looks like it's from 1995 :p The flow and layout is fine, though

Hehehehe. I just found this amusing because I'm usually a fan of older site designs versus new site designs.

Keep rolling in the feedback, please :)
2006-05-08, 5:21 AM #20
Originally posted by MBeggar:
2. Just cause ive seen worse.

The news section is too wide, the navigation section is too skinny.

*Cough* Blame Geb's ridiculous requirements *cough*

:D

Anyone who says my site is better needs to be shot. :p :D
2006-05-08, 5:27 AM #21
[QUOTE=Cool Matty]*Cough* Blame Geb's ridiculous requirements *cough*

AMEN BROTHER. AMEN. :em321:

<3 Gebboss
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-05-08, 8:49 AM #22
frankly i've always hated the old site. i'd give it a 4 because i've seen many progressions of worse sites that that. (myspace comes to mind. stupid people trying to make it look "cool" *glares at ruthy*)

fonts whatever, no one uses my personal favorite. Bookman Old Style. its "too big" they say. i say screw you. it looks cool, like an old typewriter or something.

anywhos, jeps is better, but still needs much work.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2006-05-08, 8:59 AM #23
agreed, the more i look at the current version, the more i feel something is not right. I like the color scheme though.
2006-05-08, 11:43 AM #24
Originally posted by Jepman:
AMEN BROTHER. AMEN. :em321:

<3 Gebboss

Only I have the brains to rule Lylat! Oh wait, that's Andross...

Look, putting the nav. bar vertically on the side was a bad idea. So should have stuck with horizontal. Leave my insane requirements out of it though <_<
2006-05-08, 11:49 AM #25
Insane in the membrane. INSANE IN THE BRAIN! :em321:

↑ Up to the top!