Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Website Design
Website Design
2006-05-07, 1:15 PM #1
I was just wondering what the prevailing opinion was about website design.

I'm going to rework a website I have, and was debating what exactly to do. I was either thinking of flashing it up, or just leave it plain-jane HTML. The content of the site is a few comics as well as editorials and stuff like that. Basically an excuse for me and my friends to work on collaborative projects and have a place to display them.

The question is that does anyone really care, after the first visit, about how "shiny" a site is? Would it be worth it to invest time in a design that requires more than simple tags? I see Maddox's site, hell, even Massassi, and it's fairly plain, something you could do in a text editor.

Another thing is that what's better, a side bar (like http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/) or a top bar (http://www.penny-arcade.com/) for navigation?

Anyway, any input would be appreciated, thanks for your time.
2006-05-07, 1:21 PM #2
HTML > Flash. Rollovers are okay, but Flash is really annoying. :p

I like well-designed websites. Beyond that, I don't really care how many graphics or whatever it has. If it's well-designed and simple, that's cool.

And I like top bars. Just me, whatevs.
2006-05-07, 1:30 PM #3
if you will have a lot of sections, i'd go with the sidebar. if not, i'd go with the top bar.

as for "flashing it up", it IS possible to make a clean-cut website in flash. i find vector graphics itself to be a pain to work with when im lining things up and making fine adjustments to lines, but some people pull it off nicely (see coldplay.com).

as for "shininess", if it's just going to be comics and editorials, then i'd go for the minimalistic look. maddox's site is a little too minimalistic for my taste, but i think penny arcade's is about right.
2006-05-07, 4:41 PM #4
I think the general consensus is flash for the sake of flash is annoying. If there's a legitimate reason for it, then by all means include it, otherwise just stick to html as you can still make some pretty swish stuff.
2006-05-07, 4:44 PM #5
Sexy CSS/HTML always wins over Flash, if only because I can view it on my PSP :p
2006-05-08, 12:16 AM #6
you need Slipknot midis and 300 animated gifs of rotating skulls and breakdancing frenchmen.

and FIRE

with obnoxious 20 point blue serif text on a background that snows.

AND A MASSIVE HIT COUNTER IN THE MIDDLE OF THE PAGE
2006-05-08, 5:51 AM #7
and this:
http://gifmashup.eyebeamresearch.org/
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2006-05-08, 7:46 AM #8
[QUOTE=Mr. Stafford]you need Slipknot midis and 300 animated gifs of rotating skulls and breakdancing frenchmen.

and FIRE

with obnoxious 20 point blue serif text on a background that snows.

AND A MASSIVE HIT COUNTER IN THE MIDDLE OF THE PAGE[/QUOTE]

Totally.

↑ Up to the top!