Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Back Pain
Back Pain
2006-05-07, 3:06 PM #1
Last night I pulled a muscle in my lower back and I've had loads of advice however most is contradictory, so I thought I'd ask the masses...

I don't know exactly how I did it, but as I am hypermobile, if it was a slipped disk it would have popped back in by now. I basically was stcking shelves and I went to pick a relatively light box up and it hurt. Doesn't went i twist, just when I bend.

Advice please.
One should never throw the letter Q into a privet bush
Vin Diesel shot the sheriff, but he did not shoot the deputy; he ate him alive instead.
My Site
2006-05-07, 3:09 PM #2
See a doctor or chiropracter. I can guarantee that there isn't anyone on Massassi that can make an accurate diagnosis and recommend a treatment.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2006-05-07, 3:31 PM #3
Lift heavy impossible stuff. >.>
2006-05-07, 3:32 PM #4
Don't do anyhting too active for a few days. If it doesn't get better, go see a doctor.
Pissed Off?
2006-05-07, 3:32 PM #5
Do chiropractors really help for these sort of issues? Hell, are they even legit doctors?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-05-07, 3:33 PM #6
Put peanut butter on it.
2006-05-07, 3:43 PM #7
SET IT ON FIRE
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2006-05-07, 3:48 PM #8
find somebody to give you a massage?
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2006-05-07, 3:49 PM #9
Originally posted by Echoman:
Do chiropractors really help for these sort of issues? Hell, are they even legit doctors?

Yes and yes.
D E A T H
2006-05-07, 3:49 PM #10
Originally posted by Echoman:

They aren't MDs, but they can help by realigning anyhting that may not be right. I went to a chiropractor to have my knee fixed after a pertty bad injury playing soccer and it's been great since.
Pissed Off?
2006-05-07, 3:50 PM #11
Chiropracters are legit doctors. they actually do help. the only thing is people become too dependant on them, because they dont do the exercises they perscribe them.

the muscles have to rearrange to fit the correct form of the spine, rather than the twisted way it was, and the only way to do that is to exercise them in between adjustments.

anyway, my advice, use a heat pad for 20 mins, take some ibuprofen and get some rest.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2006-05-07, 3:54 PM #12
Originally posted by 7:

win
2006-05-08, 9:22 AM #13
Originally posted by 7:

I think James Bond can do it.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-05-08, 9:57 AM #14
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]Yes and yes.[/QUOTE]
Er, you mean "sorta" and "no, not at all." I wouldn't ever suggest seeing a chiropractor. Especially when there are actual doctors like osteopathic doctors who train for manual therapy as well as licensed physical therapists. Though both are a bit extreme for this case. Light lifting, you probably just pulled one of the many muscle groups in your back, especially since it's only hurting in one direction. Just avoid lifting for a day or two and stretch from now on.

Vengy, your comment confuses me. Chiropractors are purely for spinal manipulation, why did you go to one for a knee injury and not a sports therapist?
omnia mea mecum porto
2006-05-08, 10:08 AM #15
The chiropractor realigned whatever was out of alignment. He was an MD as well, so he knew what he was doing.

My mom also went to a chiropractor for her shoulder, which was recomended by her doctor.
Pissed Off?
2006-05-08, 11:53 AM #16
Roach == not expert.
Avenger == not expert.
Ford == not expert.

we're all just displaying different opinions, although there is no question that real chiropracters are legitimate doctors. they have MDs and everything. they went through just as much schooling as other doctors.

i'll admit there are some quacks out there, but they are few and far between these days.

like i said, if you do the exercises the doctor gives you, along with the periodic adjustments, you will feel better.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2006-05-08, 1:18 PM #17
Thanks for all the suggestions, I think a massage from JB would be good :)

I have been to a chiropractor before; I went for 4 consecutive weeks. She manipulated my back, pelvis, wrists and ribs, but when she spent 20 minutes at my last visit holding my hand, apparently releasing tension in my wrists, I got a second opinion from a physio therapist... turns out I'm hypermobile and no matter how many times I go to the chiropractor, she won't be able to fix me. And there was nothing wrong with my hands :confused:
One should never throw the letter Q into a privet bush
Vin Diesel shot the sheriff, but he did not shoot the deputy; he ate him alive instead.
My Site
2006-05-08, 1:47 PM #18
Originally posted by Joey:
And there was nothing wrong with my hands :confused:

lol
"DON'T TASE ME BRO!" lol
2006-05-08, 1:50 PM #19
ibuprofen.
2006-05-08, 1:50 PM #20
That stuff is a life saver.
Pissed Off?
2006-05-08, 2:01 PM #21
Yep, I get back twinges just like Joey's - and that's why I keep a pack of ibuprofen at home, and a pack in my top drawer at work. Godsend.
2006-05-08, 2:02 PM #22
painkillers dont affect me.

Try living with Migraines almost every single day.

Its a miserable existance. :gbk:
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2006-05-08, 2:04 PM #23
Then obviously you need my good friend, Mr Export Strength Vodka!

Just add a dash of lime cordial and a couple of ice cubes :)
2006-05-08, 2:19 PM #24
I used to throw my back out about every six weeks, but then I got inserts for my shoes and it fixed the problem.
Pissed Off?
2006-05-08, 2:24 PM #25
Tee Hee! Avenger has special shoes!

:p

(You know I love you really)
2006-05-08, 3:15 PM #26
I love my chiro!

Back feels so good when they crack it and put everything back in alignment. Everything feels so free and without tiny twinges, it's a good feeling.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2006-05-08, 4:27 PM #27
Originally posted by Ford:
...although there is no question that real chiropracters are legitimate doctors. they have MDs and everything. they went through just as much schooling as other doctors.

No. They're not M.D.'s, they have "D.C.'s" (doctor of chiropratic). The closest thing to a chiropractor with an M.D. is an osteopathic doctor which I already mentioned. And if you're going to trust someone to pull and smash your body "into shape" and aren't willing to go to a real doctor, at least go to a physical therapist...you know, someone who has quite a bit of experience with the skeletal/muscle systems and kinesiology.
omnia mea mecum porto
2006-05-08, 4:48 PM #28
Oh man I love this community so much... when I read various people's responses like fishstickz' and Anovis', I cracked up for so long. :D
DO NOT WANT.
2006-05-08, 7:46 PM #29
Originally posted by Roach:
No. They're not M.D.'s, they have "D.C.'s" (doctor of chiropratic). The closest thing to a chiropractor with an M.D. is an osteopathic doctor which I already mentioned. And if you're going to trust someone to pull and smash your body "into shape" and aren't willing to go to a real doctor, at least go to a physical therapist...you know, someone who has quite a bit of experience with the skeletal/muscle systems and kinesiology.

A rare few are both.
Pissed Off?

↑ Up to the top!