Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Half Life 2
Half Life 2
2006-05-09, 6:12 AM #41
They were sweet... Especially after the Spielberg War of the Worlds seemed to totally rip them off... sound effects and all... And I thought that was just special.
>>untie shoes
2006-05-09, 7:11 AM #42
Originally posted by Bill:
They were sweet... Especially after the Spielberg War of the Worlds seemed to totally rip them off... sound effects and all... And I thought that was just special.

Technically, they ripped off war of the worlds. :p
D E A T H
2006-05-09, 7:12 AM #43
Strider > AT-ST

The things I hate about HL2 are the deathmatch mode in general, the supposedly great AI that just stands around, and the weak weapons--the smg and default pistol.
2006-05-09, 1:37 PM #44
The only real complaint I have about the game is that Valve really went out of their way to let us know that the game has "omg uber physics!!!111". You could hardly go for no more than 5 mins before you run into something that involved the physics engine, whether that would be from solving puzzles with the gravity gun to stacking objects to killing monsters with physic objects. It was still fun nonetheless but you have to admit they over did it.
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2006-05-09, 1:51 PM #45
Originally posted by fishstickz:
DoD:S is the most fun thing ever concieved by man.

Thank goodness for war! :rolleyes:
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2006-05-09, 2:02 PM #46
Graphics... blah blah blah.

What about the fantastic sound? Audio gets no love from anyone. It beat Doom 3 in that department.

The dolphin-whale type calls from the striders. The ant-lion thumpers. The lovely roar of the buggy (especially echoing in the tunnels). The superb voice-acting, annoying G-man speech impediment et al. The way that gunfire and explosions recede into the distance sounding like popping, instead of just being played quieter. The fact that the speed of sound is modeled (see the explosion first, then hear the distant thud).

They found the perfect sound for the Manhacks. That's precisely what you'd expect a flying probe-droid-sawblade thing to sound like. And it sounds mean too! Same goes for the horrified muffled screams of the newly-headcrabbed zombies.

Lovely and immersive.
If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.
2006-05-09, 2:24 PM #47
Yes, the sound was superb. They fact that they manage to have so many unique sounds for the bagging and clanging of physic objects was pretty impressive. Too bad the pistol and smg gun fire sounds weren't so hot. Like I said before, the SMG sounds like it's shooting pennies.
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2006-05-09, 2:27 PM #48
shooting pennies is still deadly.
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2006-05-09, 2:41 PM #49
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]Technically, they ripped off war of the worlds. :p[/QUOTE]

Yep. Bill, go read the book or even watch the origianl movie if you don't believe it.
Pissed Off?
2006-05-09, 3:32 PM #50
Yeah, the Zombie screams rocked.

-Ever played them backwards?
2006-05-09, 4:27 PM #51
Originally posted by SavageX378:
The only real complaint I have about the game is that Valve really went out of their way to let us know that the game has "omg uber physics!!!111". You could hardly go for no more than 5 mins before you run into something that involved the physics engine, whether that would be from solving puzzles with the gravity gun to stacking objects to killing monsters with physic objects. It was still fun nonetheless but you have to admit they over did it.

In that sense, JK really overdid it with thier button pressing/ jumping puzzles. I dont even see how you can say they "overdid" it. I can only think of a couple physics puzzles. The floating barrels raising the platform for the fanboat, and another fanboat one where you had to raise something to jump over a fence. That was about it (other than pulling/inserting some plugs with the gravity gun).
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2006-05-09, 7:00 PM #52
[QUOTE=Daeron the Nerfherder]Graphics... blah blah blah.

What about the fantastic sound? Audio gets no love from anyone. It beat Doom 3 in that department.

The dolphin-whale type calls from the striders. The ant-lion thumpers. The lovely roar of the buggy (especially echoing in the tunnels). The superb voice-acting, annoying G-man speech impediment et al. The way that gunfire and explosions recede into the distance sounding like popping, instead of just being played quieter. The fact that the speed of sound is modeled (see the explosion first, then hear the distant thud).

They found the perfect sound for the Manhacks. That's precisely what you'd expect a flying probe-droid-sawblade thing to sound like. And it sounds mean too! Same goes for the horrified muffled screams of the newly-headcrabbed zombies.

Lovely and immersive.[/QUOTE]

I guess I have never acknowledged the great sound. It was cool to hear the creature gunships fly over and roar in the sky.
2006-05-09, 7:40 PM #53
Originally posted by SavageX378:
The only real complaint I have about real life is that God really went out of his way to let us know that it has "omg uber physics!!!111". You can hardly go for no more than 5 secs before you run into something that involves physics engine, whether that would be from eating to driving a car to typing on a computer. It was still fun nonetheless but you have to admit he over did it.

>.>

↑ Up to the top!