Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Final Fantasy 13
Final Fantasy 13
2006-05-08, 2:54 PM #1
Scroll down a bit. FF13 was just announced.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6149412.html
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2006-05-08, 2:56 PM #2
I REALLY hope this one captures my attention. I rented 10, played for a while, and it just didn't grip me at all. 9 sucked for me, so that leaves 8 being the last release that KEPT me playing. God knows I don't play for the combat system. Tactics was the only one worth your time, there. The storyline is what's important.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-05-08, 2:59 PM #3
Oh look, they released FF10 some time ago. Then FF11. Latest FF12. GEE I WONDER WHAT THE NEXT GAME IN THE SERIES WILL BE. >.<

2006-05-08, 3:05 PM #4
They've had FF13 copyrighted since FF9 was released.
D E A T H
2006-05-08, 3:10 PM #5
FFX was released in 2001. FFXII isn't coming out until October. Honestly, I hope they keep the 5-year gap between new Final Fantasies.

FFXI came out in 2002 but it doesn't count because FFXI sucks and I hate it. :mad:
2006-05-08, 3:11 PM #6
Final Fantasy XII is an excellent game all around, and a testament to the fact that Square can still make a great single-player games in the main series (something I was starting to doubt after X-2 and XI).

So, yes, I have high hopes for the next one. Square(-Enix) has a ton of artistic talent, previously largely limited to fancy cutscenes because of technological limitations, now ready to be unleashed on the next-gen consoles in full force.

Some people say Square is milking the franchise, but when milking a franchise means turning out great games like FFXII every once in a while, perhaps that's not such a bad thing.
2006-05-08, 3:15 PM #7
I don't care about PS3 stuff unless there is going to be a PC version...
2006-05-08, 3:22 PM #8
Originally posted by Axis:
I don't care about PS3 stuff unless there is going to be a PC version...
ok
2006-05-08, 3:34 PM #9
YES YES YES
FFVI FOR GBA

Quote:
It has been announced that Final Fantasy VI will be rereleased in 2006 as a Game Boy Advance title. This is consistent with the rereleases of Final Fantasy IV (released in North America on December 12, 2005) and Final Fantasy V (scheduled for an American release in 2006).
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2006-05-08, 3:42 PM #10
Originally posted by genk:
YES YES YES
FFVI FOR GBA

That's what I said.

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2006-05-08, 3:59 PM #11
Bah. I'm still slugging my way through VII. I still have VIII and IX and X and...well I probably not bother with XI or 10-2.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-05-08, 5:24 PM #12
I didn't believe that was real time graphics until I saw the second screenshot.
2006-05-08, 6:47 PM #13
Meh about PS3, it's going to be like $90,000

Woo for FFVI on DS though, thats like my favorite game ever.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2006-05-08, 6:48 PM #14
Originally posted by fishstickz:

thats the original FFIII your thinking of

FFIII/VI is on GBA
Free Jin!
2006-05-08, 6:50 PM #15
FFIII is on DS. It's 3D too.
Think while it's still legal.
2006-05-08, 6:50 PM #16
Misread, but I only have a DS anyway, so it's the same deal.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2006-05-08, 8:28 PM #17
Originally posted by fishstickz:
Meh about PS3, it's going to be like $90,000

500 bucks is pretty well priced IMO.
D E A T H
2006-05-08, 9:36 PM #18
And by $500 you mean $600. The $500 PS3 is crippled - no Wifi, 20 GB hard drive, no DVI/HDMI output*, and no support for MS/SD/CF.

Especially when you consider that the Xbox 360 core is being eliminated to simplify the product line, and the Xbox 360 premium is probably going to see a $50 price drop as soon as the PS3 comes out. That will make the top-end Xbox 360 cheaper than the low-end PS3. And worst-case, you can always upgrade a 360 core if you buy enough peripherals. If you buy a PS3 "Gimp Edition" you're screwed.

GG Sony. You've taken a bad idea from Microsoft and half-baked it. Almost as hilarious as when you stole the Wii controller's concept and half-baked it too. I'm sure the worldwide launch will also be half-baked if the pattern holds up. I am surely going to buy a PS3 at launch so I can play my PS2 games on it!

Edit:
* In case you don't understand the significance of not having a DVI/HDMI port: AACS requires DVI or HDMI in order to output an image to your TV. You will not be able to watch any Blu-ray movies at HD resolutions without the premium PS3. You will also not be able to use 1080p resolution. If you ever get a HDTV, you will have to buy a new PS3.
2006-05-08, 9:40 PM #19
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]500 bucks is pretty well priced IMO.[/QUOTE]

Umm, $600 if you want the non-crap version, and that's incredibly expensive for something that is intended to play games. I don't care if it acts like a media PC or not, it's not running Firefox, it's not playing Oblivion, and I've yet to see anything that would seriously sway me into paying that much just for a console.
2006-05-08, 9:47 PM #20
Originally posted by Jon`C:
And by $500 you mean $600. The $500 PS3 is crippled - no Wifi, 20 GB hard drive, no DVI/HDMI output*, and no support for MS/SD/CF.

Especially when you consider that the Xbox 360 core is being eliminated to simplify the product line, and the Xbox 360 premium is probably going to see a $50 price drop as soon as the PS3 comes out. That will make the top-end Xbox 360 cheaper than the low-end PS3. And worst-case, you can always upgrade a 360 core if you buy enough peripherals. If you buy a PS3 "Gimp Edition" you're screwed.

GG Sony. You've taken a bad idea from Microsoft and half-baked it. Almost as hilarious as when you stole the Wii controller's concept and half-baked it too. I'm sure the worldwide launch will also be half-baked if the pattern holds up. I am surely going to buy a PS3 at launch so I can play my PS2 games on it!

Edit:
* In case you don't understand the significance of not having a DVI/HDMI port: AACS requires DVI or HDMI in order to output an image to your TV. You will not be able to watch any Blu-ray movies at HD resolutions without the premium PS3. You will also not be able to use 1080p resolution. If you ever get a HDTV, you will have to buy a new PS3.

You will, it will just scale down. And very few HDTV's nowadays are capable of 1080p, and they're mostly expensive.

For everything else, see my other post in the other thread.

[QUOTE=Cool Matty]Umm, $600 if you want the non-crap version, and that's incredibly expensive for something that is intended to play games. I don't care if it acts like a media PC or not, it's not running Firefox, it's not playing Oblivion, and I've yet to see anything that would seriously sway me into paying that much just for a console.[/QUOTE]
Why won't it run Firefox? It has Linux on it. Or Oblivion for that matter? Am I mistaken or didn't Bethesda just announce Oblivion for the PS3?

And I've seen more than enough to sway me. If you haven't seen enough yet, then that's fine.

Also, isn't MGS4 going to be a launch title?
D E A T H
2006-05-08, 10:01 PM #21
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]You will, it will just scale down. And very few HDTV's nowadays are capable of 1080p, and they're mostly expensive.[/QUOTE]Yes, it will scale down to 480i. HDTVs, even just 720p HDTVs, are the standard today. The market is quite clearly moving in that direction and the deadline for the North American switchover is coming up very fast.

This console is being advertised as a Bluray player. If you buy the $500 model it will not function as one.

Quote:
Why won't it run Firefox? It has Linux on it.
The PSP has Linux on it too, but the PSP can only run signed binaries. I have no reason to believe that the PS3 will be able to run homebrew software.
2006-05-08, 10:03 PM #22
Yes, it will scale down to 480i. HDTVs, even just 720p HDTVs, are the standard today. The market is quite clearly moving in that direction and the deadline for the North American switchover is coming up very fast.

This console is being advertised as a Bluray player. If you buy the $500 model it will not function as one.

The PSP has Linux on it too, but the PSP can only run signed binaries. I have no reason to believe that the PS3 will be able to run homebrew software.

1) It will play Blu-Ray, just not at the quality you're looking at. Better than nothing. I agree 100% the 500 dollar deal isn't nearly as good as the 600 dollar deal, but it's out there for a reason. And 480i really isn't THAT bad.

2) The PS3's linux is supposed to be opensource, and there's a lot of rumors of it running unsigned code, especially with the PS Connect model they have, or whatever they're calling it.
D E A T H
2006-05-08, 10:12 PM #23
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]1) It will play Blu-Ray, just not at the quality you're looking at. Better than nothing. I agree 100% the 500 dollar deal isn't nearly as good as the 600 dollar deal, but it's out there for a reason. And 480i really isn't THAT bad.[/QUOTE]720p has three times the pixel count of 480p. That's ignoring the interlacing. 480i is terrible and unacceptable in any situation.

It's not a matter of it being a poor deal. Beyond the fact that it's ripping off customers, it's diluting inventories. The memory card reader and HDMI port are commonplace and inexpensive parts. Sony is intentionally crippling certain models of the PS3. Considering that most of the people who buy consoles at launch are gamers who know better, we're going to be seeing launch shortages of the normal PS3 and overstock of the crappy model.

Quote:
2) The PS3's linux is supposed to be opensource, and there's a lot of rumors of it running unsigned code, especially with the PS Connect model they have, or whatever they're calling it.
All Linuxes are opensource, but there is nothing in the GPL2 that prevents companies from using TPM hardware with it.

Originally the PSP was supposed to be able to run homebrew. In fact, Sony's engineering department designed it so you could run software off of the Memory Stick. The first PSPs released in Japan could do it; as soon as it hit North America, though, Sony put a stop to homebrew.

There is absolutely no way Sony will let people run homebrew software on the PS3. They'll probably release a web browser for it, but you aren't going to be throwing KDE on there.
A secondary reason is that the game developers don't like it. They pay thousands of dollars for development units and an additional flat fee for licensing. If independent third parties could freely develop software for the system, there would be no real incentive for professional developers to continue paying Sony royalties.
2006-05-08, 10:17 PM #24
720p has three times the pixel count of 480p. That's ignoring the interlacing. 480i is terrible and unacceptable in any situation.

It's not a matter of it being a poor deal. Beyond the fact that it's ripping off customers, it's diluting inventories. The memory card reader and HDMI port are commonplace and inexpensive parts. Sony is intentionally crippling certain models of the PS3. Considering that most of the people who buy consoles at launch are gamers who know better, we're going to be seeing launch shortages of the normal PS3 and overstock of the crappy model.

All Linuxes are opensource, but there is nothing in the GPL2 that prevents companies from using TPM hardware with it.

Originally the PSP was supposed to be able to run homebrew. In fact, Sony's engineering department designed it so you could run software off of the Memory Stick. The first PSPs released in Japan could do it; as soon as it hit North America, though, Sony put a stop to it.

There is absolutely no way Sony will let people run homebrew software on the PS3. They'll probably release a web browser for it, but you aren't going to be throwing KDE on there.

1) How inexpensive? Please, enlighten me instead of using generalities.

2) Let me use a more clear definition--it should be open.

3) I'm glad you know every move sony will ever make...ever... Yeah. Uh huh. So remind me, how long have you been stealing their trade secrets?

Edit: 4) Also, do you ever watch standard definition TV? If so, then please shut up about 480i being "unacceptable". It's much better than standard def, and you'd just be a hypocrite.
D E A T H
2006-05-08, 10:27 PM #25
Interestingly, standard definition has more lines of resolution than 480i (NTSC-M has 486, IIRC)

Yes I know it's not equivalent.
Stuff
2006-05-08, 10:31 PM #26
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]1) How inexpensive? Please, enlighten me instead of using generalities.[/QUOTE]About $2.00 for a HDMI connector and $8.00 for a multi-card reader. These would be much cheaper for Sony, since they make them in-house by the millions.

Quote:
2) Let me use a more clear definition--it should be open.
I agree, it should. But it's not going to.

Quote:
3) I'm glad you know every move sony will ever make...ever... Yeah. Uh huh. So remind me, how long have you been stealing their trade secrets?
How infantile.

I know what Sony is going to do with the PS3 for one reason: I am not stupid. I am able to see a pattern and use that pattern to form an opinion.

The PSP is perfectly capable of running third-party software. In fact, it is specifically designed to run homebrew software. Sony is fighting tooth and nail to keep people from using their console in this manner. What makes you think the PS3 will be any different at all?

Hell, the only argument that Sony won't lock down their system is the PS2 Linux. Really though: PS2's Linux had an artificially-limited production run because it was only ever intended as an educational platform - not as a framework for running homebrew games.

Edit:

Quote:
Edit: 4) Also, do you ever watch standard definition TV? If so, then please shut up about 480i being "unacceptable". It's much better than standard def, and you'd just be a hypocrite.
How increasingly infantile.

480i is standard-definition in ye olde common parlance. I have HD satellite and the only shows I still watch are in HD, so I guess my answer to this question is "no".
2006-05-09, 7:13 AM #27
Originally posted by Cloud:
I didn't believe that was real time graphics until I saw the second screenshot.

Haven't you seen the Final Fantasy VII technical demo for the PS3?
幻術
2006-05-09, 7:39 AM #28
About $2.00 for a HDMI connector and $8.00 for a multi-card reader. These would be much cheaper for Sony, since they make them in-house by the millions.

Quick google shows about 25-40 dollars for the HDMI connector (pricegrabber shows similar results), along with the card reader being about 10, and the harddrive costing probably 40 more. All in all it'd probably cost Sony about 50 dollars more/console to create the premium version, by my estimates.

I agree, it should. But it's not going to.

Wow, what a great rebuttal. You know what I meant, there's many rumors floating around that it will be open. Quit twisting my words, you get my meaning, so trying to call me an idiot in such a "witty" (and I use the term very loosely) manner doesn't help your argument any.

How infantile.

I know what Sony is going to do with the PS3 for one reason: I am not stupid. I am able to see a pattern and use that pattern to form an opinion.

The PSP is perfectly capable of running third-party software. In fact, it is specifically designed to run homebrew software. Sony is fighting tooth and nail to keep people from using their console in this manner. What makes you think the PS3 will be any different at all?

Hell, the only argument that Sony won't lock down their system is the PS2 Linux. Really though: PS2's Linux had an artificially-limited production run because it was only ever intended as an educational platform - not as a framework for running homebrew games.

Infantile? If by infantile you mean true. You think you know something based on your OPINIONS. You can make projections, say that "this is the most likely course of action", etc etc, but you can't say you KNOW what Sony's going to do. Who's to say they didn't learn from the homebrew scene on the PSP that piracy takes care of itself. The PSP homebrewers, or the important ones at least, have banded together to fight piracy. They've all blocked pirated UMDS from running on their homebrew apps. Now Sony IS notorious for locking down their systems as much as possible, whether it be gaming system, mp3 player, or whatever. But times change, especially with Nintendo going to support homebrew for the Wii (well, that's what they were saying at last year's E3 that is), and the 360 supposedly having a rather inexpensive dev kit for publishing sometime soon. Point is--You don't know ****, quit acting like you do.

Edit:

How increasingly infantile.

480i is standard-definition in ye olde common parlance. I have HD satellite and the only shows I still watch are in HD, so I guess my answer to this question is "no".

Increasingly infantile? Wow, I think I know what your word of the day on the calendar was.

It was a question, with a response had you answered one way. And a very valid response, none-the-less. Since you don't watch anything in non-HD, the point is moot.
D E A T H
2006-05-09, 7:44 AM #29
Originally posted by Koobie:
Haven't you seen the Final Fantasy VII technical demo for the PS3?

omg SEXY. I want it. But on the Wii.
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2006-05-09, 12:46 PM #30
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]Quick google shows about 25-40 dollars for the HDMI connector (pricegrabber shows similar results), along with the card reader being about 10, and the harddrive costing probably 40 more. All in all it'd probably cost Sony about 50 dollars more/console to create the premium version, by my estimates.[/QUOTE]"25-40 dollars for the HDMI connector"? The most expensive price I can find for a HDMI female connector is $12.00, and it's from a preposterously overpriced cable supplier. I'll agree about the hard drive costing $40 more, but I'm not budging on the removal of HDMI. It's stupid and you know it.

Quote:
Wow, what a great rebuttal. You know what I meant, there's many rumors floating around that it will be open. Quit twisting my words, you get my meaning, so trying to call me an idiot in such a "witty" (and I use the term very loosely) manner doesn't help your argument any.
This coming from the kid whose best rebuttal on this thread is to tell me to "shut up"?

Quote:
Infantile? If by infantile you mean true.
No, by "infantile" I mean you're acting like an infant.

Quote:
You think you know something based on your OPINIONS. You can make projections, say that "this is the most likely course of action", etc etc, but you can't say you KNOW what Sony's going to do. Who's to say they didn't learn from the homebrew scene on the PSP that piracy takes care of itself. The PSP homebrewers, or the important ones at least, have banded together to fight piracy. They've all blocked pirated UMDS from running on their homebrew apps. Now Sony IS notorious for locking down their systems as much as possible, whether it be gaming system, mp3 player, or whatever. But times change, especially with Nintendo going to support homebrew for the Wii (well, that's what they were saying at last year's E3 that is), and the 360 supposedly having a rather inexpensive dev kit for publishing sometime soon. Point is--You don't know ****, quit acting like you do.
...Uh... okay?

Let's think about this one for a minute. I am saying "Sony will not do [this] because Sony has never done [this] ever."

You are saying "Sony will do this because the PS3 is the best ever!!"

In short, "You don't know ****, quit acting like you do."

Quote:
Increasingly infantile? Wow, I think I know what your word of the day on the calendar was.
It looks like today's word of the yoshi is "puerile".

Quote:
It was a question, with a response had you answered one way. And a very valid response, none-the-less. Since you don't watch anything in non-HD, the point is moot.
Uh huh. I'm sure your response would have consisted of a great deal of name-calling and telling me to "shut up".
2006-05-09, 1:51 PM #31
So Final Fantasy

I hope they release Chrono Trigger for GBA next
Free Jin!
2006-05-09, 1:52 PM #32
That would be insane.

I wouldn't mind a rerelease of Chrono Cross either.

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2006-05-09, 5:32 PM #33
Quote:

I can barely put up with it even though the content is phot-real. Games? Ugh. I also hate movie theater quality, but that's a different rant. *hugs 2005fpw*
2006-05-09, 5:33 PM #34
Jon, Yoshi cease the thread-crapping.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.

↑ Up to the top!