Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → What's with all these new reality tv shows?
What's with all these new reality tv shows?
2004-06-19, 7:51 AM #1
Let's see, Joe Shmoe, Jane Shmoe, Outback Jack, Next Action Star, and there're probably more. What ever happened to quality TV programs?
2004-06-19, 7:53 AM #2
Joe Schmoe, first season, was enjoyable. I'm wary of Joe Schmoe and and Jane Schmoe, because it's likely they'll take the idea too far.

As for all the others, it's basically an extension of the idea of, "Look how much money MTV made with 'The Real World!'" That, and those who participate are a bunch of attention whores who simply want to be famous on TV.

------------------
<ubuu> does hitler have a last name?
<jipe> .. yes, Ubuu, we're racist commy nazi jews, and we hate male pattern baldness
<Professor`K> Sorry, but half-way through your logic, my head exploded
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-06-19, 8:07 AM #3
I wonder why the Who Farted? and I'm a Celebrity: Who Farted? idea never took off.

------------------
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right." -Isaac Asimov
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2004-06-19, 8:39 AM #4
I'd love to have a show like Cannibal island or something like that.

Basicaly, you driop some poor schmucks off on some desolate rocky island with no food, and see what happens. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poking me in the ribs and cackling, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.
2004-06-19, 11:51 AM #5
A real-life "The Running Man" or "No Escape" would be great.

Who loves you, and who do you love?

------------------
www.MentatMM.com (status = down :/)
Napalm Death Squad (status = alpha)
2004-06-19, 12:20 PM #6
I restate my firm opinion that I share in everyone of these threads.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by phoenix_9286 in the "Canadian Idol" thread:
Reality TV is stupid and needs to die via a shotgun blast to the face. If you want reality, get off your *** and go outside.

</font>

------------------
Frogblast the Vent Core!

--End of Line--
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-06-19, 3:24 PM #7
The problem is that even the people that yell and shout about how much they hate reality TV still ****ing watch it. Why? I have no idea. I avoid it like the plague, and you should too.

If I wanted to watch a group of idiots doing pointless crap, then I'd play The Sims. At least then I could drown them in the pool when I get bored.

------------------
«»The Scratchware Manifesto
thoughts from beyond observance
2004-06-19, 3:41 PM #8
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jin:
The problem is that even the people that yell and shout about how much they hate reality TV still ****ing watch it. Why? I have no idea. I avoid it like the plague, and you should too.

If I wanted to watch a group of idiots doing pointless crap, then I'd play The Sims. At least then I could drown them in the pool when I get bored.

</font>

I don't watch it. Ever.

------------------
Frogblast the Vent Core!

--End of Line--
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-06-19, 4:21 PM #9
I'm not a fan of reality TV, but that doen't mean that other people aren't. Just because you don't like something doesn't make it the worst creation on he face of the earth and it doesn't mean that there aren't people who don't enjoy it.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-06-19, 5:11 PM #10
Well fine Avenger, if you want to use things like logic and tolerance. I mean really, what have they ever done for anyone?

------------------
This one day I went to change my password, but being the clever chappy that I am, I accidently typed the new pw into the e-mail address bar and clicked submit, hence the slightly modified new user name. Go me and my awesome computer skills.
This one day I went to change my password, but being the clever chappy that I am, I accidently typed the new pw into the e-mail address bar and clicked submit, hence the slightly modified new user name. Go me and my awesome computer skills.
2004-06-19, 5:15 PM #11
[http://s91173500.onlinehome.us/joeaids.jpg]

------------------
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind.
:wq
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-06-19, 5:16 PM #12
Quote:
If I wanted to watch a group of idiots doing pointless crap, then I'd play The Sims. At least then I could drown them in the pool when I get bored.</font>

So it works out either way? That's good [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by phoenix_9286:
Reality TV is stupid and needs to die via a shotgun blast to the face. If you want reality, get off your *** and go outside.</font>

Agreed.
*archives to hdd*

------------------
nytfyre m0d || f33l t3h p0w3r || t3h l0st c0gz || OMF > *
May the mass times acceleration be with you.
2004-06-19, 5:21 PM #13
When it comes to reality TV, what is starting to annoy more the most now is how most of them are copycats of previous shows. Apparently recycling old formulas with only a small little "twist" makes it a great new idea for a show. I do mind shows that want to borrow from the "American Idol" show and make game shows like "last comic standing" but those stupid bachelor shows with a unique "twist" are just so lame. Bachelor shows are dumb to being with because the couple usually ALWAYS end their relationships after the show finishes their run. Because of that tendency, why bother watching a show who's ending is just done in vain?

-- SavageX

------------------
"...and if you don't like that, then you need to be slugged in the face repeatedly, until my hands are soaked in blood. Have a nice day!"
http://geocities.com/savagex378
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2004-06-19, 6:10 PM #14
Quote:
</font>

LOL enough said

------------------
nil nip nada zip zero naught lip zil
This is retarded, and I mean drooling at the mouth
2004-06-20, 1:25 AM #15
Damnit, I want to play The Sims now, veen if it is only because then I can cause muchos pain and suffering to THEIR LITTLE PIXEL CODE MINDS. MWAHAHAHA!!1

Seriously, I hate RealityTV and I don't watch it. The first time I saw it I was permanently scarred emotionally. Now I can't watch Channel 4 without retching.

------------------
[ Massassiism ] [ Cynicism ] [ Fanaticism ]
Sell your soul for a cookie?
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2004-06-20, 3:05 AM #16
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Avenger:
I'm not a fan of reality TV, but that doen't mean that other people aren't. Just because you don't like something doesn't make it the worst creation on he face of the earth and it doesn't mean that there aren't people who don't enjoy it.

</font>

Uh, no, it really is complete garbage. A TV show where a guy makes out with 10 girls who are just trying to win the money and then picks his favorite? Next you'll be telling me that just because I don't like cigarettes doesn't mean they give people who enjoy them lung cancer. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?
2004-06-20, 3:09 AM #17
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">What's with all these new reality tv shows? </font>

I ask the same question. I never watch TV anyway, so I don't care much.

------------------
No signature for you.
No signature for you.
2004-06-20, 3:16 AM #18
I actually like Colonial House. But that might be because of its educational basis, makes it a lot more unique.
2004-06-20, 5:23 AM #19
Caution for language:

http://webpages.charter.net/wookie06/FoamyRantIII.swf

more of the same at:

http://www.illwillpress.com/vault.html

------------------
Have you forgotten ...
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2004-06-20, 8:32 AM #20
Wookie; I love you. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
2004-06-20, 9:53 AM #21
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Correction:
Uh, no, it really is complete garbage. A TV show where a guy makes out with 10 girls who are just trying to win the money and then picks his favorite? Next you'll be telling me that just because I don't like cigarettes doesn't mean they give people who enjoy them lung cancer. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]

</font>

No its more like saying that just because you don't like cigarettes doesn't mean that other people don't either.

------------------
/fluffle
/fluffle
2004-06-20, 12:04 PM #22
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cloud:
What's with all these new reality tv shows?</font>
They get great ratings.

Lots of people watch them. Few will actually admit it.

[This message has been edited by DogSRoOL (edited June 20, 2004).]
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-06-20, 1:33 PM #23
Quote:

</font>

That's how I think, and I try, but it has recently become very hard.

Reality TV: My most hated TV catagory.
Standup Comedy: One of my most loved TV catagories.

So, of course, someone decided to combine the two. 10 Unknown comedians get voted off by going against each other in comedy standoffs. The show is appropriately titled Last Comic Standing. I watch it on comedy central, but it's apparently also on NBC.

------------------
Because you're as bored as I am
"This world is made of love and peace!"
"Let's live today, let's live tomorrow, and let's live the day after that, even if it means living in eternal pain."
- Vash the Stampede
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2004-06-20, 1:35 PM #24
I just say screw reality TV altogether. I wouldn't touch reality TV with a redwood tree!

------------------
nil nip nada zip zero naught lip zil
This is retarded, and I mean drooling at the mouth
2004-06-20, 1:38 PM #25
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sats:
No its more like saying that just because you don't like cigarettes doesn't mean that other people don't either.

</font>

Do you mean other people do, or... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/confused.gif]

------------------
2004-06-20, 1:40 PM #26
The Apprentice was the only reality show you'd catch me watching alive (everything else I wouldn't even be caught dead). At least with that, you had some real purpose, other than a $1,000,000 grand prize for living on an island or some crap like that.

------------------
I can't think of anything to put here right now.
I can't think of anything to put here right now.
2004-06-20, 1:40 PM #27
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Correction:
Do you mean other people do, or... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/confused.gif]

</font>

Yeah, that. Or, the other. Hmm, I think it means whatever you want it to mean... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/confused.gif]

------------------
2004-06-20, 2:09 PM #28
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SavageX378:
When it comes to reality TV, what is starting to annoy more the most now is how most of them are copycats of previous shows. Apparently recycling old formulas with only a small little "twist" makes it a great new idea for a show. I do mind shows that want to borrow from the "American Idol" show and make game shows like "last comic standing" but those stupid bachelor shows with a unique "twist" are just so lame. Bachelor shows are dumb to being with because the couple usually ALWAYS end their relationships after the show finishes their run. Because of that tendency, why bother watching a show who's ending is just done in vain?

-- SavageX

</font>

I feel the exact same way that you do. I exactly watch a little bit of Survivor when it first aired (then again I was on vacation with nothing esle to watch). However after the conclusion of Survivor, all these me too reality shows started popping up.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">They get great ratings.
Lots of people watch them. Few will actually admit it.</font>

And the thing that gets me mad is that they probably won't die out for a long time because they cost less to produce then a sitcom or series right?
2004-06-20, 2:27 PM #29
Reality TV is never going to end because of two key reason:

1. People like reality TV, Its that simple, people are interested in watching things like that.

2. Reality TV is amazingly CHEAP to put on.

Ihave only watched three Reality TV shows, The Apprentice and Last Comic Standing, and Joe Schmoe, and I am not ashamed at all to admit this.

------------------
Kill Your Idols!

[This message has been edited by BurrBoy (edited June 20, 2004).]
The tired anthem of a loser and a hypocrite.

↑ Up to the top!