Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → A few questions...
A few questions...
2004-06-20, 1:31 PM #1
Ok, here is the problem. I have roadrunner installed and running/working on two computers in my house. I want to get it on one more computer. I can't explain the rest without the pictures, so here is a rough sketch of my house. Room 2 has no internet.

[http://upl.silentwhisper.net/uplfolders/upload6/housedrawing.JPG]

In this picture, the red checks show which rooms have the computers hooked up. Room 1 has the router and modem, and heres a picture of them both just to get a look of what im talking about. This is in computer room 1.

[http://upl.silentwhisper.net/uplfolders/upload6/routerandmodem.JPG]

Here is a closeup of the back of the router.

[http://upl.silentwhisper.net/uplfolders/upload6/router.JPG]

In this not so clear picture it shows that slot 3 in the router (out of 4 slots) is connected to the main computer in room 1. Slot 2 is occupied with the cable for room 3.

Now my problem is, since I did none of the cables or wiring or setting up of anything, how do I get internet to the 2nd room computer? I have tried just a cable running from one of the routers empty spaces and it did not work for some reason, despite many people saying that all I needed is one cable running from the router. Anyone have an idea of how to get this comp on the internet?

By the way, I called roadrunner and they told me that they could set it up for me for 80 dollars and an extra 15$ per month to have roadrunner on that computer. I dont know why the 15 dollars a month applies because I have two computers already connected (which they connected) and I am only paying the base fee, so lets leave the company out of this if we can.

[This message has been edited by drizzt2k2 (edited June 20, 2004).]
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2004-06-20, 1:32 PM #2
Was the cable good? Did you get link lights?

------------------
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind.
:wq
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-06-20, 1:35 PM #3
Link lights, what is that? The cable is the one my brother used in college to connect to their broadband, so it should've been good.

------------------
2004-06-20, 1:36 PM #4
When the cable was connected to the router and the second box, there should have been a small light that came on by the NIC port on the computer. Also, the corrosponding link light should have light on the front of the router...

------------------
2004-06-20, 1:40 PM #5
I never even checked the lights... Where is the NIC port on the computer?

------------------
2004-06-20, 1:45 PM #6
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by drizzt2k2:
Where is the NIC port on the computer?</font>

Its the port you plugged the networking cable into. You did plug it into the computer, didnt you?

------------------
2004-06-20, 1:46 PM #7
NIC = Network port. The little square thing.

------------------
"The trick in life is not to find a way to make it perfect, it's to enjoy the good, strengthen your ability to deal with the bad, and keep your eyes looking forward to the good."
-Chelsea Brown
VTEC just kicked in, yo!
2004-06-20, 2:09 PM #8
lol, yes I did plug it in... I dont think theres a light anywhere around there though...

------------------
2004-06-20, 2:23 PM #9
What kind of computer is this?

------------------
2004-06-20, 2:48 PM #10
A compaq presario 1.3 ghz

------------------
2004-06-20, 2:49 PM #11
A craptastical one it seems. My NIC light is a very cool amber color. Sometimes when I used to jump on my bed it would come out just a little bit and the light would flicker on and off. It looked really cool.

Right now I'm not using it and it makes me sad. I have a USB wireless adapter but I really dont if any of you are planning on leeching my connection.

------------------
free mp3 ~Jump - Young America

new album Between the Dim and the Dark available now
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"

↑ Up to the top!