Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Another Oblivion Thread
Another Oblivion Thread
2006-05-12, 12:26 AM #1
I love the game, I hate the game, yada, yada, yada.

But seriously...
Are there THAT many bugs?

Fort Ksomething just north of the Imperial city on the other side of the river. An invisible black bear keeps killing me.
I could spend alot of time trying to kill him with my destruction spell, over and over till he dies ( already tried 3x and gave up ).
Or I could complain.

Is there some slim chance this is supposed to happen? Part of some super cool quest?

Or is it just...that the devs didn't realize there was invisible bear there and they idiotically shipped the game?
I know hwere it is because I can see a slight fuzzyness where it's supposed to be. On top of that, when my spell hits it I have a general idea how far away it is (you know when people go on fire when you use fire magic on them)

Anyhoo, thoughts?
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2006-05-12, 12:40 AM #2
Buy a real game, like Spore.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-05-12, 12:52 AM #3
Yeah, I found the same bug. Check the Oblivion mods wiki for a fix (google it). I used detect life to get around the problem.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-05-12, 3:29 AM #4
There is a quest where a village population of Aleswell has been turned invisible by a mad wizard in an Old Imperial fort. It is called zero visibility, and several monsters/creatures have been turned invisible too around the fort.

Quest outline/walkthrough *spoilers* could this be it?
If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.
2006-05-12, 4:01 AM #5
Yea, its most likely the zero visibility quest. Aleswell is just north of the imperial city.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-05-12, 6:49 AM #6
So enxt time weird things happen in Cyrodiil, don't immediately board the complain train! :banned: Strange magicks could be afoot.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2006-05-12, 7:43 AM #7
But if you see ruins pop up in front of your eyes, don't be fooled for it is no strange magic! Its a crappy design decision!
2006-05-12, 9:25 AM #8
That's weird, they were completely invisible, not partially invisible like other enemies.
2006-05-12, 9:57 AM #9
Originally posted by Emon:
That's weird, they were completely invisible, not partially invisible like other enemies.

Originally posted by Veger:
I know where it is because I can see a slight fuzzyness where it's supposed to be.

Partially for Veger, apparently.
APT 1, 2, 3/4, 5/6
TDT
DMDMD

http://veddertheshredder.com
2006-05-12, 10:34 AM #10
It was like a distortion that's supposed to be one of the "high end graphic" distortions, like "motion blur" or something. Every time it attacked it was kinda blurry where it was.
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2006-05-12, 10:36 AM #11
It MIGHT be that quest... I dunno.
I didn't see the Aeswell near the map. I'll double check it later today.
Oh, and as far as updates go, I'm playing the X-box 360 version :P.
2006-05-12, 10:37 AM #12
Originally posted by Veger:
It was like a distortion that's supposed to be one of the "high end graphic" distortions, like "motion blur" or something. Every time it attacked it was kinda blurry where it was.

Like with a chameleon or invisibility spell?
APT 1, 2, 3/4, 5/6
TDT
DMDMD

http://veddertheshredder.com
2006-05-12, 11:08 AM #13
It's part of a quest you loons.
2006-05-12, 1:08 PM #14
Seconded. It really is part of a quest.
Council of 14
2006-05-12, 2:37 PM #15
Yeah, if you can SEE something when he attacks, isn't it sort of apparent that it's a part of the game?

"OMG, THE GAME IS BROKEN!"
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-05-12, 2:57 PM #16
At lower quality settings, it may be harder to see invisible creatures.

Even then, they're damned hard to see!
2006-05-12, 5:44 PM #17
Ahh Oblivion bugs... Friend at work told me about his pack horse.

Apparently there's a horse you can get / steal in the game that counts as a quest NPC and so only goes unconscious and does not die. Apparently when the horse dies you can loot it and deposit stuff you dont use very often or might need resupplies of on its empty corpse. The horse regains consciousness and you can ride it around normally. When you need some more health potions simply walk over to it, kill it, grab the potions off its corpse, then wait for it to regain consciousness.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2006-05-12, 10:41 PM #18
I killed the Unicorn.

-What do you do with the horn?
2006-05-13, 11:41 AM #19
Quest item. Hang on to it.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-05-13, 11:59 AM #20
Originally posted by Spork:

Apparently there's a horse you can get / steal in the game that counts as a quest NPC and so only goes unconscious and does not die. Apparently when the horse dies you can loot it and deposit stuff you dont use very often or might need resupplies of on its empty corpse. The horse regains consciousness and you can ride it around normally. When you need some more health potions simply walk over to it, kill it, grab the potions off its corpse, then wait for it to regain consciousness.

That would be Shadowmere.
2006-05-13, 12:04 PM #21
Originally posted by Spork:

its not so much a bug as an exploit. People won't encounter that "problem" unless they are looking for it and are exploiting it, and if they are, they shouldn't be *****ing about it in the first place. :p
2006-05-13, 12:38 PM #22
Finally played Oblivion.

As I suspected, all the worry over it's performance was for nothing. It runs better than Morrowind on my system. I didn't even turn off as much as I thought I did. It ran fine before I realized that I hadn't turned the grass off as I had planned. I didn't have the strange Assassin armor/Oblivion gate framerate issue that seemed to plague other ATI cards.(Maybe it's because I haven't upgraded my drivers in over a year...)
<Rob> This is internet.
<Rob> Nothing costs money if I don't want it to.
2006-05-13, 1:55 PM #23
[QUOTE=Commander 598]Finally played Oblivion.

As I suspected, all the worry over it's performance was for nothing. It runs better than Morrowind on my system. I didn't even turn off as much as I thought I did. It ran fine before I realized that I hadn't turned the grass off as I had planned. I didn't have the strange Assassin armor/Oblivion gate framerate issue that seemed to plague other ATI cards.(Maybe it's because I haven't upgraded my drivers in over a year...)[/QUOTE]

Really? I get ~30fps at 1024x768 practically everything on lowest with 2xFSAA.. thats on a 9800pro and 1gb of RAM. Morrowind I can run with practically everything on full at 1600x1200.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2006-05-13, 2:19 PM #24
Many people have a severe misconception as to what should be considered good performance.
2006-05-13, 6:22 PM #25
I'd rate it at decent performance. Maybe 20 fps. Still fairly smooth. What the hell does FSAA do anyway besides kill your framerate? The few times I ever ran it on anything, the only thing I noticed was how much it lowered performance.

My performance guidelines say "If you don't notice it, you don't need it."

I could probably get over 30fps, but I just love seeing the Imperial City from two towns over.
<Rob> This is internet.
<Rob> Nothing costs money if I don't want it to.
2006-05-13, 6:25 PM #26
Originally posted by Rob:
Many people have a severe misconception as to what should be considered good performance.

Heh, yeah. I get around 30-40 in Oblivion, 50 at best in dungeons. I know it's not good performance, but I'm willing to sacrifice the speed for the visuals. I don't consider Oblivion a blazing fast FPS that needs a solid 50 FPS to be playable.
2006-05-13, 6:35 PM #27
[QUOTE=Commander 598]I'd rate it at decent performance. Maybe 20 fps. Still fairly smooth. What the hell does FSAA do anyway besides kill your framerate? The few times I ever ran it on anything, the only thing I noticed was how much it lowered performance.

[/QUOTE]

Putting 2xFSAA on takes about 1fps from my framerate.. any makes it look at lot better.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2006-05-13, 8:43 PM #28
[QUOTE=Commander 598]I'd rate it at decent performance. Maybe 20 fps. Still fairly smooth. What the hell does FSAA do anyway besides kill your framerate? The few times I ever ran it on anything, the only thing I noticed was how much it lowered performance.

I could probably get over 30fps, but I just love seeing the Imperial City from two towns over.[/QUOTE]

Look at the edges of objects that are at an angle. Instead of the "stair stepping" effect, they are smoothed. The higher the FSAA, the more smoothing there is.
2006-05-13, 11:25 PM #29
Low FPS can be tolerable as long as it's stable, really. A steady 20 FPS, IMO, is much better than 40 FPS with frequent jumps to 10 or lower.
Moo.
2006-05-13, 11:27 PM #30
Ha, in the old days I used to play JK in 320x240 and get between ten and twenty-five fps...I don't know how I was able to enjoy it.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2006-05-14, 6:03 AM #31
My oblivion is just held back by my processor. At this point, I can slap on all shadows, AA (not Adaptive AA mind you) and AF without a FPS drop.

Btw, did any of you try the new beta patch? The new self-shadowing looks pretty good overall. Its not perfect, but I like it a lot. Adds a lot of depth to the characters!
2006-05-14, 6:23 AM #32
Mine too. I ahve an Opteron 165, I really need to OC. It should hit 2.6 GHz too. Mabye even 2.8, but I won't push it that far on air.
2006-05-14, 6:24 AM #33
Actually, Oblivion works really bad with OC'ed processors. Seems to cause excessive crashes.
2006-05-14, 6:49 AM #34
Originally posted by Jepman:
Actually, Oblivion works really bad with OC'ed processors. Seems to cause excessive crashes.

That's not oblivion's fault. Oblivion just stresses the processor a lot. Just because an OC may look okay in Windows doesn't mean its truly stable.

↑ Up to the top!