Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Look into my eyes
Look into my eyes
2006-05-13, 1:36 PM #1
Something I began thinking about thanks to the body language thread.

When you're talking to someone, to their face, do you tend to make eye contact with people?

I would assume most people do, but for some reason making direct eye contact with almost anybody when talking makes me uncomfortable.

So Massassi, do you make eye contact when talking?
nope.
2006-05-13, 1:37 PM #2
most of the time yes.
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2006-05-13, 1:40 PM #3
ZE GOGGLEZ, ZEY DO NOTHING
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2006-05-13, 1:40 PM #4
I make eye contact pretty much all the time.
Pissed Off?
2006-05-13, 1:42 PM #5
yes, i tend to look in the eyes. and sometimes stare : )

edit: who's the blind guy? :o
Pie.
2006-05-13, 1:47 PM #6
It is only polite to look right toward the eyes.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-05-13, 1:55 PM #7
I try to look at the eyes, but I don't usually want to stare at something for long so I look elsewhere. That may look nervous to others, but I feel normal.

I have to admit I can avoid boobcontact when talking though, for most of the time.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-05-13, 2:04 PM #8
Usually look at their eyes, particularly at the start of a conversation, but usually in social situations other stuff is going on around you so I tend to drift off a little. I always keep my body oriented towards the person, though. It's just my eyes that go wandering.
2006-05-13, 2:05 PM #9
Who has the braille monitor?
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2006-05-13, 2:15 PM #10
Making eye contact used to bother me, but it doesn't anymore.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-05-13, 2:16 PM #11
Originally posted by Echoman:
It is only polite to look right toward the eyes.

Just because it's polite doesn't mean it's easy. It's a struggle for me to do so.
2006-05-13, 2:16 PM #12
All the time.

Most people find it unnerving, and will constantly break eye contact with me.
2006-05-13, 2:21 PM #13
I think it looks tacky if one doesn't look into the eyes of the person they're talking to. It pisses me off when people don't look at my eyes when talking to me.
"I'm afraid of OC'ing my video card. You never know when Ogre Calling can go terribly wrong."
2006-05-13, 2:38 PM #14
Usually. Sometimes I just happen to not lock.
2006-05-13, 3:01 PM #15
I tend to get a little nervous after looking someone in the eye too long. I don't like focused attention like that so I just tend to look elsewhere while I'm talking, thought usually not far.
Sneaky sneaks. I'm actually a werewolf. Woof.
2006-05-13, 3:01 PM #16
I think most people look tward the eyes but not right into them. like I usualy end up looking at someones forhead. I have heard others usualy look at the nose, or chin. I think most people are a little uncomfortable with direct eye to eye contact.

something about stealing their soul I guess.
“Without education we are in a horrible and deadly danger of taking educated people seriously.” -G.K. Chesterton
2006-05-13, 4:32 PM #17
keeping constant eye contact is kinda intense, as illustrated by Rob using it intentionally that way...

I remember in school having this assembly about how to get on in the outside world. One of the things they talked about what body language to use in an interview/similar situation. When they talked about eye contact, they said you should make eye contact, but not hold it for too long, and keep your eyes aimed at the centre of the person's face. Basically move in a triangle shape, comprising of each of their two eyes and their nose/mouth area. It makes it look like you're interested in what someone is saying without appearing creepy, apparently.
<spe> maevie - proving dykes can't fly

<Dor> You're levelling up and gaining more polys!
2006-05-13, 4:33 PM #18
If it's someone I like, then I'll try hard as I can to maintain contact but I may get nervous and break it. If it's a friend, then not really because I don't care as much. They don't make eye contact with me anyway. :p
DO NOT WANT.
2006-05-13, 4:44 PM #19
Awkward, and so my eyes wander. I end up staring intently at the window or the table or their left shoulder, or something.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2006-05-13, 4:44 PM #20
I have eye contact problems, I'll admit. I have a tendency to either look at something else or "glaze out" as in not really staring at anything at all. The only time I'll force myself to make eye contact is when its absolutely important like when talking to a job interviewer or someone of authority.
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2006-05-13, 4:44 PM #21
I do little of both in a conversation; look at their eyes, and also drift elsewhere for a few seconds, and then back. Also depends on who I'm talking to.
<Lyme> I got Fight Club for 6.98 at walmart.
<Black_Bishop> I am Jack's low price guarantee
2006-05-13, 5:33 PM #22
I intentionally don't look at people when they talk to me. I'm trying to tell them to go away and leave me alone, but not with my mouth.

If I want them to stay, I stare right into their eyes and don't pull away.
2006-05-13, 5:41 PM #23
It depends. Usually I don't think about it that much, because I honestly don't think that much about most people. Around friends or people I care about or whatever, I do notice I have a hard time keeping good eye contact though, though get me in an eye contact/make someone laugh contest and I'm pretty damn good about that. What usually happens though is I look at someone and I feel like I know more about that person than I want to, or should. Guess I'm afraid of seeing what they think, or something.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2006-05-14, 7:41 AM #24
I usually only make eye contact when I'm trying to freak someone out. (And that happens quite often)

I think usually I end up staring at their mouth or their face just below their eyes.
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2006-05-14, 7:50 AM #25
Look into my eyes!

[http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a292/blogthemes/johnny_depp_10.jpg]
幻術
2006-05-14, 8:24 AM #26
i do pretty much constantly with anyone even guys I like. lol think its from my dad always yelling at me to look at him when he was lecturing me, its pretty rare for me to like a guy so much that I like shy away and not look at him.
2006-05-14, 9:14 AM #27
I make contact with their eyes if they are worthy of looking into them. If I don't like them, then no.

It's also cool to see that Massassi has little Kenshi's running around. I mean, if you are blind and you can click that tiny little bullet that says you're blind, wow. Even knowing what the thread about in the first place is cool.

(I voted for blindness. >.>)
2006-05-14, 9:16 AM #28
O RLY?

[http://www.cambron.us/apeimages/CalvinApe.jpg]
Pie.
2006-05-14, 3:28 PM #29
Look into my eyes... Ha Ha Ha!

[http://www.comicbookgirl.com/pictures/art/other/countvoncount.jpg]
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2006-05-14, 3:38 PM #30
being a teacher kinda requires you to keep eye contact. but i try to make my student feel comfy so i don't push it.
"NAILFACE" - spe
2006-05-14, 3:54 PM #31
Sometimes. I usually tend to look at someone's face, but also look around other places, particularly if it's somewhere public. I feel like if I'm too focused on the person, then I'm oblivious to what's happening around me. Maybe a paranoia thing, but it feels natural to glance around, but still keep a large amount of eye contact.

Actually, when I get nervous, I tend to stare right into the person's eyes and not look away. I guess I'm weird that way.
2006-05-14, 4:52 PM #32
Wow. We have 4 blind peeps (so far) on Massassi.
|-|E|_|_O
2006-05-14, 7:11 PM #33
[http://img94.exs.cx/img94/7290/coolestpicture.gif]
2006-05-15, 4:21 AM #34
my eyes are usually rolling

but apart from that i try to stare intensly.
2006-05-15, 8:32 AM #35
Yes, but only if I care what the person has to say.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2006-05-15, 8:41 AM #36
you will see. What you mean to me. Search your heart. Search your soul. You will find me there so search no more. Don't tell me its not worth fighting for. I can't help it, there's nothing I want more. You know its true. Everything I do. I do it for you...

oh. This isn't a song thread. :em321:
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-05-15, 8:44 AM #37
Jep wins.

The thread title made me think of that song too. :o
2006-05-15, 8:50 AM #38
Ever since that topic was posted I kept getting that song stuck in my head. :mad:

*manseckes shintock with romantism
2006-05-15, 8:54 AM #39
*manseckses Jep with Canadian early-90's sappy pop-rock playing in the background
2006-05-15, 8:55 AM #40
You know, is going to be pretty god damn awkward if we every meet. I mean, how do we decide who pays for the condoms? :confused:

↑ Up to the top!