Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Switcher
Switcher
2006-05-13, 3:48 PM #1
The game scene is all about World of Warcraft now. Whether you're playing an FPS, or an RTS, or even a Sports game on your console, you've heard of WoW.

Playing WoW is sort of different from playing your regular game. One of the greatest features of WoW is what I like to call the authentication game. What happens is you try to log in to wow, you have to sit there for 10 minutes trying to get in the game where all you see is just "Authenticating." Eventually, you get so bored that you try to alt+tab out so you can go read Something Awful, but what happens then? WoW takes up so much system resources, that when you try to tab out, your computer locks up! Eventually, you pull the cord out of the computer, and guess what happens, you have to sit through the blue screen of fixing windows xp does whenever you shut down without actually clicking the shut down button.

So you finally get in the game, hopeing that you'll get in some game time with your hunter, but then you get in, and realize that your dead in the middle of ****ing Booty Bay, your pet is right next to you, dead. WoW is the only game I know of where you log off, you are still online for about 10 to 30 seconds before the server registers that you are logged off.

You finally get to your corpse and rez and hearth back to Orgrimmar to go the auction house to put up your epic weapon of omgubarness. You click on the auctioneer and the screen comes up. You go to make an auction and open up your bags. Huh?

Your last bag won't open. You click repeatedly and repeatedly, because thats where your epic is that you came to orgrimmar to make an auction for, interrupting your grinding that would've finally gotten you to 60. Oh, did I mention that your arrival to 60 has been delayed by a week because of Alliance female night elf hunters with cats named moonshadow. You get out of the auction screen to rearrange your bags, but then all of a sudden the screen lags up for 20 seconds, and when you come back your character is way across Orgrimmar towards the guild house.

So you get to the auction house, and finally get to make your auction. But then you are looking around for the same epic, and you see that all the other auctions are way lower then yours because Chinese farmers have farmed them so much that they are almost worthless!

You get off your horde character and log onto your alliance character to go to Blackwing Lair, and you recieve an invite. You wait awhile, and the raid was slated to start at 5:00 server time, and at 5:30, there are still people in ****ING SILITHUS SCREWING AROUND. Your Warlocks are being lazy and won't summon them because supposedly it wastes shards, and the people in silithus are being lazy and won't even start walking towards Ironforge. Finally, after farming npcs with one of the two warlocks the raid has, the rest of the raid is summoned, and you get started in BWL.

Things are going good, and finally stuff is starting to look up for you. But wait whats this? You defeat Razorgore, and you're sitting around drinking up for Vael inside Razors room, when all of a sudden, out of nowhere, the Vael event starts up. Your entire raid is in the room, and all of a sudden low and behold, a GM shows up and apologizes for talking to Vael.

World of Warcraft is the only game I know of where the GMs don't know anything about the game. You don't know when you put in a ticket whether you're going to get a good GM or a bad GM who won't do anything for you. 95% of the time, you're going to get a gm who doesn't know anything about THE GAME THEY GM FOR!

In City of Heroes, the GM responses are swift and prompt. They are actually helpfull and know about their game. In CoH, even in the laggiest of laggy areas, Atlas Park, you still are not magically teleported halfway across the zone like in Orgrimmar! Unlike in WoW, almost any number of classes are good for raid zones, whereas in WoW, the classes you need and numbers of that class are locked into the instance. Are you the hunter who needs his Ancient Petrified Leaf? Oh sorry, already have 4 hunters, you have to wait until next MC run, in about a week or so, on a day you can't make because your guild is retarded and keeps rescheduling because they can't decide on a day to go to MC.

In CoH, I miss the authentication game. All I experience is a short load, and having 10 minutes to make the cup of tea/hot choclate/coffee is missed. I also miss the people from WoW, having people help me in City of Heroes really sucks, instead of being told to **** off because i'm a hunter, I am almost always being invited to groups. Alt+Tabbing out to read Something Awful really sucks, I just loved the game freezing and having to unplug the computer.

My name is Stinkywrix, and I am a switcher from World of Warcraft, to City of Heroes.

EDIT: In It's core, world of warcraft is a great game. But sometimes there are just somethings that add up and piss me off. Blizzard, you have a great game but please just get off your lazy rear and do something. Also meant as Satire. Take that as you will. :p
2006-05-13, 4:08 PM #2
I can feel you on the load times. That's because there are so many people playing. As for logging in and finding yourself dead, well, don;t log off in a place where you can die.
Pissed Off?
2006-05-13, 4:17 PM #3
So yeah, I guess this thread is going to be a combined CoH thread and WoW thread.

Like I said up there (or inferred up there) I got into City of Heroes and am loving it very much.

I respecced my character from long ago from flying to Jumping, and I regret ever speccing flying. My only complaint with CoH so far is that the missions are way out of whack, I can get a mission in Kings Row and have to go to the Hollows. That, and hover sucks ***. I want to fly, not slowly move in the air!
2006-05-13, 4:18 PM #4
You win sir.

Someone who actually noticed that CoH is just plain better than Wow.

Yay.

[Oh, and hover can be useful if you use teleport as your travel power.]
nope.
2006-05-13, 4:27 PM #5
I'm sure am glad I cancel my account before all this server instabablity crap skyrocketed through the roof. The only time I play wow now is when the PTR is up because you don't need to have an active account to play on that :)

Anyway, I do feel you on the authentication stuff. Blizzard's login server is so incredible weak that it locks up so often because of the massive amount of players trying to login all at once. The login server even affects the website! Blizzard is supposedly revamping the system to make it more stable but they're going pretty slow about it.

As much as I miss my old characters, I'm not going to waste 15 more bucks a month on this game until the expansion comes out. Hopefully the expansion will be worth the money because I rather not spend more than month's worth subscription fees for a lackluster expansion.
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2006-05-13, 4:30 PM #6
Oh, small thing since I haven't played in ages, how long until Destiny Manifest is released, Stink?
nope.
2006-05-13, 4:35 PM #7
What server do you play on in COH?

I might be interested in playing it again if you played on Pinnacle, which is where I play.

I have an active account and everything, I just play COV most of the time.

Maybe we could go head to head some time?
2006-05-13, 4:44 PM #8
Originally posted by Baconfish:
Oh, small thing since I haven't played in ages, how long until Destiny Manifest is released, Stink?

All I know is that it's going to be soon. It went on the training room the 4th.

Originally posted by Rob:

I play on Freedom.
2006-05-13, 4:46 PM #9
Bah. :(
2006-05-13, 4:52 PM #10
[http://www.filefarmer.com/2/genkaar/Untitl.png]
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2006-05-13, 4:59 PM #11
PLANETSIDE

(New Conglomerate Markov)
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2006-05-13, 6:46 PM #12
Originally posted by Rob:

I might be interested in playing it again if you played on Pinnacle, which is where I play.

I have an active account and everything, I just play COV most of the time.

Maybe we could go head to head some time?

Rob, I have somehow managed to obtain a trial of City of Villains.

Name, so I may spam you? :p
2006-05-13, 6:58 PM #13
BTW, I started playing Guild Wars again, only because I don't have any other game to play to kill time. I got tired of having no cape so I decided to create a 1 person only guild and named it "Only here for the cape" (OHFC for short). The cape looks like something a crusader would wear. :)
2006-05-13, 8:06 PM #14
I'm glad they put a handle on the box in case I want to use it as a BOAT ANCHOR!
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2006-05-13, 8:08 PM #15
Originally posted by Wolfy:
I'm glad they put a handle on the box in case I want to use it as a BOAT ANCHOR!

I wanted to work that in somewhere, I just couldn't find a place to put it.
2006-05-13, 8:15 PM #16
Stinky needs a new computer, or to stop overexagerating the fast vanishing problems with the game.
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2006-05-13, 8:16 PM #17
[QUOTE=Glyde Bane]Stinky needs a new computer, or to stop overexagerating the fast vanishing problems with the game.[/QUOTE]

*Ahem* Satire much?
2006-05-13, 8:18 PM #18
No, I'm a hard ***. I have no sense of humour whatsoever.
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2006-05-13, 8:45 PM #19
Originally posted by SavageX378:
BTW, I started playing Guild Wars again, only because I don't have any other game to play to kill time. I got tired of having no cape so I decided to create a 1 person only guild and named it "Only here for the cape" (OHFC for short). The cape looks like something a crusader would wear. :)

Whatever happened to that guild anyway (the old one we were in)?
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2006-05-13, 8:46 PM #20
They're both great games! Until you get bored of them...

I have a level 60 Hunter and a level 50 Scrapper. Love them both. It's far too easy to have massive amounts of fun in both games.

The problem with CoH is that there's no loot, so once you get full SOs and all your powers it's only a matter of time before you get bored. The problem with WoW is that once you hit level 60 it becomes a fashion parade. They're both hella fun getting there though :D
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2006-05-13, 9:35 PM #21
Originally posted by KOP_Snake:
Whatever happened to that guild anyway (the old one we were in)?

It died. No one was logging on anymore except for me so I said "Screw it, I'm out".
2006-05-13, 11:27 PM #22
Originally posted by Spook:
PLANETSIDE

(New Conglomerate Markov)

Tell me you're not a dedicated Phoenix flyer and I might hold out hope for your potential redemption.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-05-14, 1:03 AM #23
I never have problems with authentication or alt-tabbing out.

Get more RAM and stop sucking.

↑ Up to the top!