Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Wow, something has to be done
Wow, something has to be done
2006-05-14, 7:54 PM #1
I actually, seriously, cannot believe this. There is a site that I go to to download guitar tabs for songs to learn how to play them or see how someone is doing something in a certain song: [url]www.mysongbook.com[/url]. They have closed ALL downloads of tabs except for user created ones because there is a law put into effect in december 2005 that makes all Tablature and notation AND LYRICS of songs on websites COMPLETELY ILLEGAL and is being inforced now. Have we had a topic on this? This is just ****ING RIDICULOUS.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4508158.stm

America is turning into a ****ing ****hole. Little by little.

I play bass better than you. :p
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2006-05-14, 7:56 PM #2
<3 [url]www.bassmasta.net[/url]

Guitar is for wusses.
Think while it's still legal.
2006-05-14, 8:11 PM #3
What the hell.

Isn't depriving people of lyrics also taking a lot away from the artists' music? I know I often gain an even bigger appreciation for a song once I look up the lyrics. Plus, even if other people are able to figure out your music and play it in concert, it's not like their going to be depriving you of income. They'll be playing in some bar and you'll be filling statdiums making 100 times more. If they do start making it big with your songs, then you can sue their *** off.
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2006-05-14, 8:22 PM #4
Good riddance. Tab sucks.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2006-05-14, 8:24 PM #5
Quote:
MPA president Lauren Keiser said he wanted site owners to be jailed.

What parent names their male child Lauren? This was slightly amusing. The jail thing was moderately sad.

Quote:
The Xerox machine was the big usurper of our potential income

This was highly amusing because it sounded like a great big dummy spit (even though I have to concede he does have a bit of a point).

Up next: music industry authorities try to ban fire. "Singing around the camp fire is a clear case of copyright infringement that deprives copyright holders of the ability to make a living. The advent of fire has been a substantial source of lost revenue and we will be prosecuting any person found to have fire to the full extent of the law."
2006-05-14, 8:30 PM #6
lol rerun.

this copyright stuff is just getting stupid anymore. like downloading music, its going to find another way. they aren't going to be able to stop it, maybe slow it a little bit but all the laws they are throwing at this isn't going to make it stop.
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2006-05-14, 8:36 PM #7
This has been going on for months now.
Pissed Off?
2006-05-14, 8:41 PM #8
mxtabs is back up though.
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2006-05-14, 8:42 PM #9
"Hmmm... It seems people are getting so excited about and interested in our product that they actually seek out the lyrics to songs and want to play the songs on guitars for the entertainment of all their consumer friends. WE MUST QUASH THIS!"
2006-05-14, 9:04 PM #10
[url]www.ultimate-guitar.com[/url] Has both 6-string and bass tablature for almost every song ever by everyone. And hasn't shut them down, far as I know.
DO NOT WANT.
2006-05-14, 9:55 PM #11
Isn't this the exact opposite of how music is supposed to work? I mean, isn't the idea to get the message out to people no matter what their income is?
I mean, I can see banning mp3s and whatnot... but tabs and notes and lyrics? ****ing lyrics? That's... counter-intuitive. Hell, they gotta stop people from using their radios, or playing stuff loud so others can hear, or listening to songs more than once, or even making up their own because, hey, who said you have the right to make your own tabs to anything?

-I wonder if a new kind of musical note system would be under the jurisdiction of this new Big Brother act. Like... like a kind of easily read sine-wave or something.
2006-05-14, 10:01 PM #12
Uh omgburgerboys and whatnot.

Really old news though. :p
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-05-14, 10:10 PM #13
Originally posted by Spook:
mxtabs is back up though.

Hm, wont load for me.
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2006-05-14, 10:32 PM #14
http://www.chordie.com/

seems fine to me.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2006-05-14, 11:56 PM #15
old news buddy.

ultimateguitar.com is also good. but 911tabs.com has **** load of tabs. from all the sites. So give it a shot.

oh yes and tabs sux0rs. go pro, go music sheet. :D
Pie.

↑ Up to the top!