Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Missing drivers for USB controller
Missing drivers for USB controller
2004-06-20, 4:10 PM #1
(I'm putting this here, b/c IMO, the tech forum is only useful if you need help building a bomb or something... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif] )

Ok, none of my usb ports work. I tried reinstalling the driver in device manager (even off the winxp cd) but it couldn't find it.

WTF do i do now? What is the name of the standard windows USB driver? If i know the file name, perhaps i can copy it to the hard disk and let windows search for it again.

------------------
Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poking me in the ribs and cackling, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.
2004-06-20, 4:19 PM #2
Version of Winblows/brand of computer?

------------------
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind.
:wq
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-06-20, 4:19 PM #3
Oh man do I know how this works. I suggest just leaving it alone for a while--painful as that is. Downgrade, upgrade, etc your drivers, but don't mess with it. Mine just randomly came on one day. Sorry if this wasn't much help.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-06-20, 4:22 PM #4
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GBK:
Version of Winblows/brand of computer?</font>

That made me laugh... hard [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]
2004-06-20, 4:22 PM #5
Quote:
Version of Winblows/brand of computer?

</font>

Windows XP Corporate Edition

Compaq Presario S6500NX

------------------
Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poking me in the ribs and cackling, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.
2004-06-20, 6:00 PM #6
anyone else? This is really starting to piss me off.

I had my usb drive in there when windows first booted, and its light was on (meaning it reconized the usb drive) , but once windows finished booting up, the drive's little LED went off. Signifigant, or not?

------------------
2004-06-20, 6:03 PM #7
Try looking on HP's site for drivers.

------------------
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind.
:wq
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-06-20, 6:08 PM #8
Quote:

</font>

wouldn't that be a windows feature? This computer is a compaq in name only-- everything else compaq-related was stripped out a long time ago the first time I reloaded windows. Besides, I've been running vanilla windows for most of the computer's lifetime, and the usb ports always worked before now. I'm running plain vanilla generic windows now, not the OEM version that came with my computer.

Like i had a choice-- the compaq restore cds did nothing the first time i needed them. Absolutely nothing. It went through the motions, but after the smoke cleared, my hd was still corrupted and the recovery cds did nothing but make a mess. To make matters worse, I wasted 7 perfectly good cds making those damn things. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/mad.gif] That's why I obtained my copy of Xp corporate. I had no choice. It's sad that an [appropriated] version of windows worked great where a legal backup utterly failed. And they wonder why warez is so rampant....

------------------

[This message has been edited by Pagewizard_YKS (edited June 20, 2004).]
2004-06-20, 6:13 PM #9
I always found this site to be extremely useful for finding drivers:

http://www.driverguide.com/

Just be sure to get a hold of your hardware's model number (usually always on the devive itself somewhere) and search for that on the website. I was unable to find drivers you usually could never find on the official sites. This site even has drivers for extremely ancient hardware.

-- SavageX

------------------
"...and if you don't like that, then you need to be slugged in the face repeatedly, until my hands are soaked in blood. Have a nice day!"
http://geocities.com/savagex378
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2004-06-20, 6:21 PM #10
Quote:

</font>

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

sorry... but looking there for drivers (or help) is like searching the desert for a glass of water

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-06-20, 6:29 PM #11
Oh, Pagewizard, I have a tip for your other problem (overheating). Your IDE cables, inside the case. You see how they're flat and obstruct your vision? They also obstruct airflow. For some reason I didn't think of this until The Screen Savers the other day, but you should either round them (cut up the plastic between the strands, tie them together with zipties) or buy rounded IDE cables. It should help out a lot with your heating problem.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-06-20, 6:49 PM #12
Look for chipset drivers from whoever makes the chipset(Intel, SiS, Nvidia, or Via most likely.). Those should include the software that control the USB ports.
2004-06-20, 7:30 PM #13
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SavageX378:
I always found this site to be extremely useful for finding drivers:

http://www.driverguide.com/

Just be sure to get a hold of your hardware's model number (usually always on the devive itself somewhere) and search for that on the website. I was unable to find drivers you usually could never find on the official sites. This site even has drivers for extremely ancient hardware.

-- SavageX

</font>

I downloaded the VIA usb drivers (I have a via mobo) but it didn't help.

Would a windows upgrade install potentially fix it? (by upgrade, i mean reinstalling xp over my existing install) I know the usb drivers are there on the cd, b/c it always worked in the past. if i reinstall, then theoretically, I would get all new drivers and i would hopefully be able to keep all my files too.

What do you think?

YOSHI: heat isn't too much of a problem anymore (I currently operate at or under 120 F, which is a fine enough temp), but I'll keep that idea in mind.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Pagewizard_YKS (edited June 20, 2004).]

↑ Up to the top!