Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → God exists
God exists
2006-05-15, 5:24 AM #1
http://www.rpi.edu/~faheyj2/SB/COURSES/INTAI/C5PICTS/god.jpg

really laughed hard. maybe it's because im a nerd :(

[Keep images <= 1024x768 -JG]
Pie.
2006-05-15, 6:21 AM #2
I'm not smart enough to understand it.
2006-05-15, 6:29 AM #3
me neither :(
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-05-15, 6:34 AM #4
Ditto. :(
nope.
2006-05-15, 6:53 AM #5
Chinese makes more sense.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2006-05-15, 7:05 AM #6
Using your logic, we shall prove the existance of a proof that God does not exist:

http://img385.imageshack.us/img385/2688/notexist1pr.jpg

And therefore, God does not exist.

[What I said above -JG]
Stuff
2006-05-15, 7:06 AM #7
Translation:

For all things, everything is self-identical. (that is anything is itself)
God is God, and by definition, God is "He who Is"
If everything is self-identical, God is one such thing, God exists.

Nevertheless, while this argument is logically valid, I question its soundness.

Furthermore, while this argument proves the existence of the concept of "God", the only property of such "God" is self-identity, a trait common to all things in the universe... so you're not really telling us that much. It's one thing to prove the existence of an idea of God on the emrit that in order to refer to God we implicitly assume His existence. It's an entirely other thing to prove the existence of a God under any religious notion.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2006-05-15, 7:15 AM #8
Damn Godbotherers.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-05-15, 7:20 AM #9
Leave the g-man alone, if he wanted us to know he's there, he'd drop by uninvited for cookies and sex once in a while.
2006-05-15, 8:35 AM #10
Already doing that.
2006-05-15, 9:42 AM #11
InbefodaGold!

Then...

Inbefodalock!

:p
2006-05-15, 9:59 AM #12
Using science to prove God's existence? Not in my religion!
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2006-05-15, 10:13 AM #13
Originally posted by gothicX:
Already doing that.

So how divine is he?
2006-05-15, 11:45 AM #14
Can we make the image smaller? It's hard to read.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-05-15, 11:59 AM #15
So would the corollary to this theorem be that the devil exists?
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-05-15, 12:02 PM #16
i guess you could prove pretty much everything.
Pie.
2006-05-15, 12:09 PM #17
That depends on your definition of "prove." It is easy to come up with a valid logical proof for complete nonsense. As long as someone admits the premises... ;)
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2006-05-15, 1:15 PM #18
This pretty much "proves" that God exists because we made Him. (because the premises are postulates that we define(d))
:p

edit: bah grisy wrote what I meant in a much more articulate way
一个大西瓜
2006-05-15, 3:07 PM #19
Originally posted by Axis:
I'm not smart enough to understand it.

physicists sucks yo
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2006-05-15, 3:24 PM #20
Last year for science fair one of my friends did "Does Prayer Work?" He had 2 sets of plants, prayed over one, didn't over the other, gave them "equal" treatment. The ones he prayed over "Lived better". I saw no difference in them, except maybe the ones he prayed over were a bit more lively (a bit of bias in the care, I think).

What I found funny about this: God refuses to prove that he exists. He then lets these plants grow better than these other plants. Therefore, God has proven his existance and vanishes in a puff of logic.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-05-15, 3:33 PM #21
God doesn't "refuse to prove that He exists"

He just gives us the ability to decide for ourselves whether or not He does.

Zloc, if you don't believe in God, then I could imagine Him, popping up in front of you in all His glory and proclaiming "I am God!" and you'd probably say it was Aurora Borealis and the effect of the wind whistling through the trees.

The fact is, we interpret "proof" however we're predisposed to.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2006-05-15, 4:55 PM #22
I think it's more a question of whether we've been trained to be a thiest or an athiest.

A thiest will see the aurora borealis and say "A true miracle from God! Using radiation to show that He exists."

An athiest will see the aurora borealis and say "An interesting effect of the natural properties of radiation!"

It's all just a matter of whether or not you ASSUME that God exists in the first place that determines your point of view.
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2006-05-15, 4:57 PM #23
I'm sorry, but if you can't understand that....just....no.

I chuckled when I saw this. :p
"Oh my god. That just made me want to start cutting" - Aglar
"Why do people from ALL OVER NORTH AMERICA keep asking about CATS?" - Steven, 4/1/2009
2006-05-15, 5:46 PM #24
This could be my ignorance of the forumla as a whole, but it seems as if the part with the logic of affirming the anticedent in p --> q , p therefore q was quite irrelevant to the rest of the forumla and was just thrown on there to add something because I didn't see any other P's or Q's on the page

then again as I said, I don't really understand any other part of that forumla so if it does fit in, I just didn't catch it
2006-05-15, 6:22 PM #25
I noticed that too. It kind of looks like a 6th grader's geometry homework.

Especially the way he threw in random integers :p
"Why do people from ALL OVER NORTH AMERICA keep asking about CATS?" - Steven, 4/1/2009
2006-05-15, 7:40 PM #26
Most 6th graders don't have Geometry.
2006-05-15, 8:31 PM #27
Originally posted by -Monoxide-:

I did
2006-05-15, 8:43 PM #28
Originally posted by petmc20:
Originally posted by -Monoxide-:

I did

And thus, the basis of Monoxide's entire post is toppled
2006-05-15, 8:45 PM #29
Originally posted by Schming:
I think it's more a question of whether we've been trained to be a thiest or an athiest.

A thiest will see the aurora borealis and say "A true miracle from God! Using radiation to show that He exists."

An athiest will see the aurora borealis and say "An interesting effect of the natural properties of radiation!"

It's all just a matter of whether or not you ASSUME that God exists in the first place that determines your point of view.

Not really, I was raised Catholic and am now agnostic. I decided on my own to question God's existence when everything around me said just go with what everyone else says.
2006-05-16, 2:42 AM #30
Originally posted by Lord_Grismath:
Translation:

For all things, everything is self-identical. (that is anything is itself)
God is God, and by definition, God is "He who Is"
If everything is self-identical, God is one such thing, God exists.

Nevertheless, while this argument is logically valid, I question its soundness.

Not quite logically valid. All it does is prove that the God is equal to itself. It does not prove that there is such a God that is equal to itself, only that being equal to itself is a property of a God.

It's similar to the wordy proof that says:
To prove God exists, we will first prove the stronger statement that an existing God exists.
This second statement is clearly true, since to have an existing God that does not exist is absurd.
Therefore God exists.

The fallacy in the argument is the use of the word "an". Here are two examples of the use of the word "an".
1) An owl has large eyes.
2) An owl is in the house.

In the first statement we are referring to the set of all owls. Every owl has large eyes.

In the second statement, we are referring to a specific owl. You don't (hopefully) mean that every owl is in your house.

In the first case, there is no prerequisite for the set of owls to be a non-empty set. In the second instance, the set of owls must be non-empty, since one of them is in your house.
2006-05-16, 7:10 AM #31
Here's how I expressed the proof:

1. Everything is self-identical.
2. There exists something that is self-identical.
Therefore,
3. Something exists.

That something being "God."
(In this case, premise 1 may be superfluous)
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2006-05-16, 7:11 AM #32
You're just proving the concept of God.
2006-05-16, 10:18 AM #33
I'm not proving anything. I'm merely presenting an English interpretation of the argument.

And I already said I was referring to the concept of "God." Hence I'm mentioning "God" and not using God.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2006-05-16, 10:32 AM #34
Originally posted by Giraffe:

The fallacy in the argument is the use of the word "an". Here are two examples of the use of the word "an".
1) An owl has large eyes.
2) An owl is in the house.

In the first statement we are referring to the set of all owls. Every owl has large eyes.

In the second statement, we are referring to a specific owl. You don't (hopefully) mean that every owl is in your house.

I disagree with that. When using "a/an" you are still talking about one item of the set. (we really need mathematical symbol capabilities here) Think of it like this

[forall]owls[/forall] [exist]owl[/exist] : the owl has large eyes. We can also say [forall]owls[/forall] ~[exist]owl[/exist] : the owl has large eyes.

By the way I just added two new BBCode tags [forall] and [exist]
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-05-16, 10:47 AM #35
Originally posted by Aglar:
Not really, I was raised Catholic and am now agnostic. I decided on my own to question God's existence when everything around me said just go with what everyone else says.

But do you believe in the existence of God and just say we don't know anything regarding that existence/the existence of a God is irrelevant?

or do you NOT believe in the existence of God?
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2006-05-16, 12:37 PM #36
I don't believe in the existence of Schming! :o
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2006-05-16, 12:56 PM #37
Let me now restate this, thanks to JG's tags.

The argument in the image is the following*:

I: x is self-identical.

(1) ([forall]x[/forall]) Ix Premise
(2) Ix (Universal Generalization)
(3) ([exist]x[/exist]) Ix (Existential Instatiation)

* I have used a monadic quantifier to express identity to simplify the demonstration.

This is merely an example of the rule that "all" implies "some."

I'm unsure as to how that operates in a truly unrestricted universe of discourse, though. This is starting to confuse me, however, as I'm not entirely comfortable with the use of identity. Especially when "God"'s existence is technically defined as.... its existence.

I would rewrite the argument like this:

(1) ([forall]x[/forall]) Ix Premise
(2) ([exist]x[/exist]) Ix & Gx (Premise)
Therefore,
(3) ([exist]x[/exist]) Gx
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2006-05-16, 1:56 PM #38
This is dumb; you can prove anything if you just devide by zero.
Wikissassi sucks.
2006-05-16, 1:56 PM #39
This reminds me of these. Neat stuff to think about.

2006-05-16, 5:16 PM #40
Originally posted by Isuwen:
This is dumb; you can prove anything if you just devide by zero.

Or if you contradict yourself.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.

↑ Up to the top!