Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Want to make free long distance calls in the US & Canada?
Want to make free long distance calls in the US & Canada?
2006-05-15, 3:53 PM #1
You're damned right you do.

Enjoy.
2006-05-15, 4:36 PM #2
bam!

thanks!
2006-05-15, 6:38 PM #3
blimey, wish they brought that over to the UK.
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2006-05-15, 6:56 PM #4
Dude... I now have a phone in my room, and I don't have to use my cell minutes... this is cooool.
"You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!" Anyone who recognizes this quote is awsome.
2006-05-15, 6:57 PM #5
Well I'll be... that's awesome; won't have to add any more credits to my skypeout account now!
Stuff
2006-05-15, 6:58 PM #6
Man, another reason to use Skype. I stopped using it last year, but this was too much of an incentive.
www.dailyvault.com. - As Featured in Guitar Hero II!
2006-05-15, 7:25 PM #7
It'd be useful to me if Skype played nicely with modems. Which it doesn't. For reasons I will NEVER understand since multiple other voice chat programs work FINE for me.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2006-05-15, 7:27 PM #8
This is awesome. Massassians, post your phone numbers.
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2006-05-15, 7:48 PM #9
Not sure, but I added the mexican extension, try this

52-871-7-32-5065
Nothing to see here, move along.
2006-05-15, 7:53 PM #10
U.S. and canada does not apply to Mexico
2006-05-15, 8:08 PM #11
Originally posted by drizzt2k2:
U.S. and canada does not apply to Mexico

*chuckle*
woot!
2006-05-15, 8:12 PM #12
Hmm...is there any catch to this deal?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-05-15, 8:14 PM #13
Nope, ive been using it the past hour.
2006-05-15, 8:22 PM #14
AWESOME. MAC OSX VERSION.

So long to my huge cell-phone bill for long-distance back home to my parents. :D
2006-05-15, 9:02 PM #15
Wow, Skype has gone a long way since I tested it a couple years ago. Just got off the phone with it. Great stuff.
2006-05-15, 11:14 PM #16
Originally posted by phoenix_9286:
It'd be useful to me if Skype played nicely with modems. Which it doesn't. For reasons I will NEVER understand since multiple other voice chat programs work FINE for me.

Because Skype doesn't suck?

Seriously, any decent voice chat program has always required at least ISDN lines to sustain a conversation. Skype's got excellent quality too.
D E A T H
2006-05-16, 6:04 AM #17
So I can call someone's home telephone in Canada for free, using the new and improved skype?

Waite, no, I figured it out. Now I just need someones phone number.
2006-05-16, 6:18 AM #18
Oh sweet stuff. Now I can have free phone sex with pretty females from the US.

<.<

>.>

No no I kid, I kid! But Massassians beware. o_O
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-05-16, 7:22 AM #19
I just realized this last night when I saw a Digg article complaining about certain IPs not working. I guess I should've read the email from Skype a couple days ago :p
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2006-05-16, 9:22 AM #20
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]Because Skype doesn't suck?

Seriously, any decent voice chat program has always required at least ISDN lines to sustain a conversation. Skype's got excellent quality too.[/QUOTE]
Quality is a retarded point. I've listened in on many a Skype conversation before and never noticed any difference between it and any other run of the mill voice chat program.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Last Stand
2006-05-16, 3:01 PM #21
Originally posted by Darkjedibob:
I just realized this last night when I saw a Digg article complaining about certain IPs not working. I guess I should've read the email from Skype a couple days ago :p

Yeah. I ignored the e-mail, too.
2006-05-16, 7:31 PM #22
There is a huge difference in quality between the voice chat feature on MSN and chatting over Skype.
2006-05-16, 7:52 PM #23
Skype?

This is old news. I've been using it for raid instances on WoW.

GET WITH THE TIMES
2006-05-16, 8:46 PM #24
I don't think using Skype to call telephones in Canada for free is old news. Oh, and it works really well. I called someone a few hours ago.
2006-05-17, 10:36 AM #25
Spent an hour and a half on it with one of my friends in Alma yesterday. Would've cost me about 13$ on my cell phone.

<3
2006-05-17, 12:33 PM #26
Quality is a retarded point. I've listened in on many a Skype conversation before and never noticed any difference between it and any other run of the mill voice chat program.

Of course not, you're on 56k.
D E A T H
2006-05-17, 2:15 PM #27
Originally posted by Anovis:
Skype?

This is old news. I've been using it for raid instances on WoW.

GET WITH THE TIMES

Do you not understand what a "long distance call" is? Calls to regular people's PHONES, not other Skype users. Durr.

Oh, and I don't know what phoenix is talking about - Skype worked great for me on 56k.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-05-17, 5:51 PM #28
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]Of course not, you're on 56k.[/QUOTE]
I didn't specify just at home now, did I? I've listened in on coversations at a friend's. He has broadband. I noticed no difference. Now, either Skype's "quality" is a load of crap, or Charlotte has damned good phone lines.

And Emon, my problem in general was that everything INCOMING was crystal clear, but anything OUTGOING from my end was inaudible, and completely distorted. And it was NOT a problem with anything I was doing. I had the mic maxed out with a 20db boost and I still sounded like I was whispering. After spending 30 minutes fighting it, I decided not to waste any more time with Skype ever again. Not with something via MSN, or Yahoo, or any other number of programs will more than suffice.
Last Stand
2006-05-17, 6:42 PM #29
And it was NOT a problem with anything I was doing.

I've heard that before...
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-05-17, 6:57 PM #30
Originally posted by Emon:
I've heard that before...

Went in and out of help, tried over and over with their test contact person thing, boosted volume on everything I could think of, went over their online troubleshooting pages twice, did EVERYTHING they suggested for setting things up, tested the mic with volume in multiple other programs were it performed as expected. Played with every preference and option that looked even remotely relevant. Tested voice chat via MSN and Yahoo where it worked as expected.

Now, I covered every single base I could think of before giving up. Unless my install borked something so all the output from my end sucked ***, it wasn't anything *I* was doing.
Last Stand
2006-05-18, 3:09 PM #31
Originally posted by Emon:
Do you not understand what a "long distance call" is? Calls to regular people's PHONES, not other Skype users. Durr.

Oh, and I don't know what phoenix is talking about - Skype worked great for me on 56k.

I'm aware of this. Your point?

Anyways, Skype is only doing this til the end of the year I believe, but hey, I'm not one to complain.

↑ Up to the top!