Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → To buy or not to buy
To buy or not to buy
2006-05-19, 11:18 PM #1
As you might have noticed, I have trouble with decisions. Anyways, so I went and put some money down on a car today. Now I'm having second thoughts. The money is not really the issue here but this is what's up:

I currently have a 2001 Ford Focus and am looking at a 2006 Toyota RAV4 (4x2, V4). Other than the brakes (and being a Ford,) the Focus is not a bad car. It's had it's quirky problems, but it's generally a good little car. The only thing I got against the RAV4 is it's seats aren't as comfy as the Focus and it uses more gas. Anyways, my younger brother and friend (and her boyfriend) are against the idea. Basically because of the money. My friend espeically thinks it's a big waste of money being as my Focus is pretty much fine.

So I'm meaning the guy tomorrow to finalize the paperwork. I won't hurt me to say no. I don't really care if he gets angry. Whatever. My dad on the other hand...he really wants me to get the car. He will be royally pissed if I don't. (I expect lots of yelling and lecturing.) Honestly, I like both cars. I see the good and bad in either. I think I should wait a bit though....eh...

Anyways, my friend isn't home and I need to talk this over somehow before tomorrow morning. Thoughts?
"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it."
2006-05-19, 11:29 PM #2
I'll admit right away I'm miserly with my money so take my post as you will, but I'd keep the ford. Why pay for something you don't really need?
2006-05-19, 11:31 PM #3
I'm leaning towards keeping the Ford. I'm just now scared of telling my dad...he's a scary person. :gbk:
2006-05-19, 11:35 PM #4
Well I don't know your dad, but it'll probably take him less time to get over it than it would take for you to cover the hole in your wallet and the thought of being stuck with something you didn't really want.

Is your dad likely to be a major pain about this?
2006-05-19, 11:46 PM #5
A vehicle esp. a new one is a rather large investment. I NEED a new car. Mine is currently falling apart. For you a new car should be entirely on a need basis rather than a want. Only when you have the $X*10[sup]4[/sup] to spend on a car should you get one based on want.

Conclusion: If your current car is doing sufficient, keep it.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-05-20, 12:06 AM #6
if my car started falling apart I would turn it into a pirate ship
2006-05-20, 12:06 AM #7
It sounds to me like the only reason you're even considering going through with the deal is to avoid conflict with your dad.
That is not a good reason to buy a car. Stand up to him, tell him you don't want to spend the money, that it's your money and your decision.
Easier said then done, yes, but better to do it then just talk about it.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2006-05-20, 1:14 AM #8
Okay...I plan to talk to him tomorrow. I mean, he already cut me off of everything? The worst I have to do is pay for the family dog's vet bills now. He'll be angry, but after thinking it over a lot...I'll just fix up my Focus. Thanks all! :o

And yes...my dad is going to be a major pain about it. He's a difficult guy to get along with. It's either his way or the highway.
2006-05-20, 1:30 AM #9
Well, I still think your dad cares much more about you than a possible new Toyota, so I have to agree with Rerun. Just think beforehand what you are going to tell him, and possibly what other uses you could have for the money. Wouldn't seem like a whim then.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2006-05-20, 3:52 AM #10
ford focus is a good car, keep it
2006-05-20, 6:02 AM #11
Never buy a new car. It's a waste of money. It's also one of the most ignorant financial decisions that one can make. Buy a reliable used car and invest the difference in your future.
2006-05-20, 6:14 AM #12
If everybody followed that advice, all the car manufacturers would need to build new production lines for preused cars in their factories...
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2006-05-20, 6:37 AM #13
As much of a Toyota fanboy that I am, I'd recommend keeping the Focus until it's not financially feasible. Then, upgrade to a 2-4yo Toyota. ;)

Originally posted by lassev:
If everybody followed that advice, all the car manufacturers would need to build new production lines for preused cars in their factories...

But they don't, so us less-affluent people can buy their used ones. :D
woot!
2006-05-20, 7:04 AM #14
Okay...so I called my dad and he basically told me I was a dumb kid and that this is cold feet. I'm going to the dealer at 10 and telling the salesman I don't want to buy a car. I'll just fix the breaks in my current car. It's not like I have time to go anywhere (outside of New Mexico) anyways!
2006-05-20, 7:16 AM #15
Out of the 5 different cars i've driven, the one that was most enjoyable was the 20-year old Volkswagon Polo. Crappy suspension, no power steering etc. It felt like it was me who was doing the driving rather than a fancy mechanism.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2006-05-20, 7:20 AM #16
Originally posted by quesadilla_red:
Okay...so I called my dad and he basically told me I was a dumb kid and that this is cold feet. I'm going to the dealer at 10 and telling the salesman I don't want to buy a car. I'll just fix the breaks in my current car. It's not like I have time to go anywhere (outside of New Mexico) anyways!

Brakes aren't difficult -- do you know any mechanicly inclined guys that could do them for you?

Originally posted by Detty:
Out of the 5 different cars i've driven, the one that was most enjoyable was the 20-year old Volkswagon Polo. Crappy suspension, no power steering etc. It felt like it was me who was doing the driving rather than a fancy mechanism.

Try a Mk1 MR2 sometime -- manual steering and awesome suspension. ;)
woot!
2006-05-20, 7:33 AM #17
Quote:

No worries. Financially irresponsible people are in abundance on this great planet of ours, and they'll never take sound advice. If you can't walk in to the dealership and pay them with cash, you shouldn't be buying the damn thing in the first place.
2006-05-20, 7:38 AM #18
Originally posted by JLee:
Try a Mk1 MR2 sometime -- manual steering and awesome suspension. ;)

Don't want good suspension, want bumpy, keeps me awake.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2006-05-20, 7:38 AM #19
Originally posted by JLee:
Brakes aren't difficult -- do you know any mechanicly inclined guys that could do them for you?

Hm...out of all my guy friends, I don't think I'd trust them touching anything mechanical in my car. There was a girl at work that said she might be able to teach me how to change my own brakes though. I think I might take her offer. It'd be cheaper (unless I totally screw up changing them!)
2006-05-20, 8:21 AM #20
I think you made the right call. There's no point in buying a new car if the previous car is reliable, and it doesn't cost more to keep it running than buying a new car. Heck, jsut save the down payment for when the Focus does kick the bucket, and you won't have to worry about being without a car while saving up for the down payment.
Pissed Off?
2006-05-20, 8:23 AM #21
If he treats the car right, it'll run for 20 years.
2006-05-20, 8:24 AM #22
Cars these days don't tend to run that long unless you're pouring a lot of money into them. At some point, keeping an old car running becomes more expensive than it's worth.
Pissed Off?
2006-05-20, 10:22 AM #23
He's right. My now 7 year old car is aging rapidly. It's a hand-me-down from mom. When she had it, she did NOT take care of it at all. No tune-up, seldom oil changes (which reminds me). Of course being rear ended didn't help matters. I'll be surprised to get $20 out of that thing. Before, the car had good acceleration for being just a dinky 1.6L four-banger.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-05-20, 3:51 PM #24
Originally posted by quesadilla_red:
Okay...so I called my dad and he basically told me I was a dumb kid and that this is cold feet.

To put it politely, your dad certainly does seem like a difficult individual so good for you for sticking up for yourself! :)
2006-05-20, 5:49 PM #25
Why does your dad care whether you get a new car or not?
2006-05-21, 2:11 PM #26
I don't know. I think he wants me to spend money so I know what is like to live without it. He also usually gives me a lecture on "it's okay to be poor."

...my dad's kind of weird.
2006-05-21, 2:29 PM #27
That's really really stupid advise. Your Dad sounds like he wants you to have economic trouble just because he did when he was your age.
2006-05-21, 2:53 PM #28
The Ford Focus is the most recalled car in American history.

If I were you, I'd get a Toyota Matrix.

They're reliable, cheap, and get good mileage. The backseats fold down flat with the floor, so room isn't usually a problem.

My mother's boss has one, and it's always been super reliable.

↑ Up to the top!