Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → The new Windows Media Player 11 (beta)
The new Windows Media Player 11 (beta)
2006-05-20, 10:06 AM #1
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/default.mspx

Anyone try it? I did. Messed up the way my PC recognizes my Creative Zen Vision: M, had to do a system restore to unistall it.

Other than that, it's a pretty nice interface, good sound, and easy to navigate. Similar to WM10, so it's learning curve wasn't bad at all.

As long as they get that drive problem fixed, I'll probably download the update when it's all ready (or get a copy of Vista).
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

-G Man
2006-05-20, 10:09 AM #2
i dont even have 10.

9 is fine for me, + i dont really use it that often. (only when i stream pr0n)
Pie.
2006-05-20, 10:13 AM #3
For some reason Windows Media Player 10 started to eat constantly 15-30% of my system's CPU time even when it wasn't playing anything at all. This peculiarity was only negated by turning it to offline state. Unfortunately that also turns the whole windows offline (like MSN messenger), so that was hardly a solution. I have no idea what bloody hell the program was doing online to waste third of my computer's power. Reinstall didn't work, so I stopped to use the stupid program.

So, chances are I won't install the new version, because new versions almost always use even more power than old ones.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2006-05-20, 11:38 AM #4
I have the version that comes with XP Home, 9 I believe. I used Media Player Classic for all my video needs.

I don't like how WMP10 adds a service that MUST be running in order to use WMP10. I like to run XP with as few services as I can get away with, heck I don't even have any updates installed besides SP2.
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2006-05-20, 6:31 PM #5
I think I have 10. But that's only because I just opted to have Windows Update install EVERYTHING it found last time I reformatted.

I never even USE WMP at least not the honking crappified interface version. I hate it. Loathe even. Quicktime and Media Player Classic for me.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2006-05-20, 6:58 PM #6
For video, I mostly use MPlayer, then VLC or MPC if things don't work correctly or if I require features that they offer. For audio, none other than foobar2000!
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-05-20, 8:06 PM #7
WMP11 hijacked my file associations even though I told it not to. :mad:

In addition the taskbar widget is broken.

But... I like the Vistaish look and the interface is fun to fool around with. Whee animating. I'll stick with Winamp for audio and mplayer for video though.

2006-05-20, 8:44 PM #8
Anyone else think this is a complete joke feature?

Look! Album art YOU CAN'T SEE!
An Equalizer that's TOTALLY USELESS AT THAT SIZE!

Thumbnails eh? ..... I suppose that means there's a larger version of both somewhere. But still.... Thumbnailing those makes them totally worthless.

.... and is that a song title or something next to it? ... That's completely worthless too if all you get is about 5 characters.

Someone please tell me that's not how any of that really looks or works.
Attachment: 11920/Untitled-1.jpg (19,751 bytes)
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2006-05-21, 8:56 AM #9
I've got 9. I updated to 10 when it came out but hated it so went back. I use VLC if something's not playing right.
<spe> maevie - proving dykes can't fly

<Dor> You're levelling up and gaining more polys!

↑ Up to the top!