Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Can I have some help with a college project plz?
Can I have some help with a college project plz?
2006-05-22, 11:13 AM #1
Ok, its a short documentary.

The topic is how video games make people kill.

An example scene will be somebody reeling out Jack Thompson quotes about how they corrupt the youth and make people murder. All the time, a game like Solitare or Pong will be on screen.

Now I wouldn't mind a bit of help with this, so if you could aid me with these points, I would be forever in your debt (maybe).

1) Is there any other right wing belligerent nutters in the same vein as Thompson who insanely preach about the evils of computer games everytime they exhale?

2) is there a quick and easy way to capture video footage of games being played on a computer monitor?

3) can you think of many totally placid and comical games that would just be funny to look at whilst theres all sorts of angry rants about how these things make people murder?

4) how much would some sort of army uniform type thing cost from a surplus store? I want one of the people I interview to be wearing camo with face camo and a crazy militaristic attitude.

cheers.
2006-05-22, 11:15 AM #2
4) Any army surplus store. It might cost a bit, but it shouldn't be too exorberant. Or Ebay, failing that.

2) Fraps.

3) Old adventure games.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2006-05-22, 11:17 AM #3
You could try Fraps for the screen capture.

Also, make sure to use lots of footage from Animal Crossing.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2006-05-22, 11:20 AM #4
3) Sim city, pong, breakout.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2006-05-22, 11:20 AM #5
ooh, another one.

I've decided on a shot that involves going into a gaming shop and picking up titles and showing how easily kids can get their hands on this evil.

What good games would be good for this that are readily available in the shops and currently quite popular?

The aforementioned Animal Crossing is a good one, apart from that the only other one I could think of is Nintendogs.
2006-05-22, 11:29 AM #6
Check thrift stores for army gear. Granted, it might smell awful, but it'll be dirt cheap. Some surplus stores can be damn expensive, like our massive one here where I get my boots and other junk.

As for games to be represented in the film, who is your target audience for this work? What names would be recognized depends on the video game literacy level of your audience. You can hit up the basics like Pong, Tetris, Breakout, Solitaire, etc. or go for the trendier online games like Bejeweled. Stay away from board games that have been converted to video game format since the "problem" obviously can't be isolated as easily.
2006-05-22, 11:32 AM #7
its not really the popularity, i'm just gonna have a narrator about how evil and bad these games are, and how they corrupt people, when all the games i'll be showing are completely placid and pacified. not an ounce of violence in them.

as long as you can instantly tell that the game is completely harmless, it will have the desired effect.
2006-05-22, 11:37 AM #8
Be sure to include The Sims.

As for capturing it; either use Fraps and edit it in digitally, or put your camera on a tripod and use a flatscreen monitor.

EDIT: Oh, and isn't Hillary Clinton on the anti-videogames bandwagon too nowadays?
2006-05-22, 11:37 AM #9
Currently available non-violent games? Hell, just hit up Nintendo -

DS
Brain Age
Animal Crossing
Nintendogs
DS Tetris
Electroplankton
Zoo Tycoon

Gamecube
DDR Mario Mix
Karaoke Revolution
Animal Crossing
Harvest Moon: Magical Melody

GBA
Hardcore Pinball

etc.
2006-05-22, 11:40 AM #10
awesome, cheers for the help, now i just need someone who keeps track of the insane people on the planet, and if they know of anymore crazy people or organisations that want to burn every video game on the planet.
2006-05-22, 11:42 AM #11
Oh, and I believe there was quite a stir about videogames in Belgian politics too, a while back. I'll see if I can find someone who knows a bit more about it.
2006-05-22, 11:49 AM #12
Several notable anti-video game personalities:

Sen. Hillary Clinton (D-NY) - [Family Entertainment Protection Act]
Sen. Joseph Lieberman (D-CT) - [Family Entertainment Protection Act]
Dr. Craig A. Anderson (ISU) - Studies on VG Aggression
Police Chief David Hiller (VP, Fraternal Order of Police) - Strong Views, Influential Position
Lt. Col. Dave Grossman (Author) - "Stop Teaching Our Kids to Kill: A Call to Action Against TV, Movie and Video Game Violence"

I got too much time on my hands. :p All these people can be googled to get more specific info, interviews, articles, etc. I haven't checked for sound bytes, but it shouldn't be hard with a little digging.
2006-05-22, 12:10 PM #13
there's also the very vocal Leland Yee of CA. He's a State Assemblymember in CA representing their 12th district and he's gotten national attention for he support of video games related legislation in CA.
"It sounds like an epidemic."
"Look, I don't know what that means. But it happens all the time." - Penny Arcade
Last.fm
2006-05-22, 12:37 PM #14
[QUOTE=Mr. Stafford]its not really the popularity, i'm just gonna have a narrator about how evil and bad these games are, and how they corrupt people, when all the games i'll be showing are completely placid and pacified. not an ounce of violence in them.

as long as you can instantly tell that the game is completely harmless, it will have the desired effect.[/QUOTE]

...but then you're not really making a good satire of the opposing viewpoint, are you? The ideas you're looking to target aren't trying to put restrictions on games like Pong, Solitaire, etc. they're trying to put restrictions on games that undeniably do have violence. They don't have much of anything against videogames themselves corrupting people but instead the violence *in* videogames changing their behavior.

Satirising them as having an opinion they don't just devalues your own satire.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2006-05-22, 1:00 PM #15
thats because its just for a college project and i'm gonna twist their words, moore style.
2006-05-22, 7:27 PM #16
Im gonna have to agree with grismath, you'll need more arguement on the side of violent video games compared to kids acting it out.. people aren't attacking simcity because of it's violent riots
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2006-05-22, 9:05 PM #17
I would recommend some of the more comical moves from SSB/SSB:M. If you can get a good shot of donkey kong going after jigglypuff with a hammer or something, while you have a clip of Jack Thompson talking about how all violent video games teach our childrne to kill, it might be sort of funny.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2006-05-22, 9:14 PM #18
Include the bonus scene at the end of halo where the Sargeant and the Elite hug and claim that the crazy people are against racial harmony.
Epstein didn't kill himself.

↑ Up to the top!