Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Drool....
Drool....
2004-06-20, 1:47 PM #1
BFG OC NVIDIA® GeForce™ 6800 GT

16-pipe GPU, 256MB of GDDR3 Memory, it uses single slot / single power connector, and it has drivers that work. To top it all off, BFG overclocks it for you, and gives you a lifetime warrenty! What a combination! I even heard that this card overclocks very well.

It's basically a slighly slower version of the 6800 Ultra, except it doesn't take 2 slots and require a 600W PSU.

It's everything a linux user could ever dream for... I'm sure the Windows user will go for the ATI X800 series, but I'm staying away from ATI until they fix up their drivers. Just go to the linux forum at www.rage3d.com and you'll see what I mean.

I'll be waiting for the price to drop from ~$400 to ~$250 before I buy.

------------------
Please send me e-mail...

[This message has been edited by Mystic0 (edited June 20, 2004).]
2004-06-20, 3:59 PM #2
just don't burn this one out like you did to that poor radeon. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poking me in the ribs and cackling, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.
2004-06-20, 4:13 PM #3
No no, he burned out the TNT2 and sold the radeon.

I'll be sticking with my Gf4MX 440 for a long time yet. It does everything I need [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
This one day I went to change my password, but being the clever chappy that I am, I accidently typed the new pw into the e-mail address bar and clicked submit, hence the slightly modified new user name. Go me and my awesome computer skills.
This one day I went to change my password, but being the clever chappy that I am, I accidently typed the new pw into the e-mail address bar and clicked submit, hence the slightly modified new user name. Go me and my awesome computer skills.
2004-06-20, 4:17 PM #4
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mystic0:
To top it all off, BFG overclocks it for you, and gives you a lifetime warrenty! What a combination! I even heard that this card overclocks very well.</font>

ATI > Nvidia
And if it comes stock speed, then it is not really overclocked. That is such a bunch of bs, just a selling gimmick. Plus it would void the warrenty.
2004-06-20, 4:17 PM #5
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Run-:
...It does everything I need [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]</font>

Ahh, but can it do 10,000 fps in glxgears at 1024x768? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind.
:wq
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-06-20, 4:18 PM #6
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by finity5:
Quote:
Originally posted by Mystic0:
To top it all off, BFG overclocks it for you, and gives you a lifetime warrenty! What a combination! I even heard that this card overclocks very well.</font>

ATI > Nvidia
And if it comes stock speed, then it is not really overclocked. That is such a bunch of bs, just a selling gimmick. Plus it would void the warrenty, if it were really overclocked.

[/B]

2004-06-20, 4:18 PM #7
<---Getting X800 Pro for his birthday

Yah. For free. Maybe X800 XT if I can push it. I know I'm so friggin lucky.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-06-20, 4:19 PM #8
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
<---Getting X800 Pro for his birthday
Yah. For free. Maybe X800 XT if I can push it. I know I'm so friggin lucky.
</font>

OMG I HATE YOU!
[http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]
2004-06-20, 4:25 PM #9
Quote:
No no, he burned out the TNT2 and sold the radeon.

I'll be sticking with my Gf4MX 440 for a long time yet. It does everything I need [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

</font>

It can't run thief 3. It fails (I have it, too).

------------------
</sarcasm>
</sarcasm>
<Anovis> mmmm I wanna lick your wet, Mentis.
2004-06-20, 4:29 PM #10
I really want one of those X800 cards. But $750 for something which will be obsolete in 2 years? ...No.

Just wish the price of good 9800s would drop already.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-06-20, 4:29 PM #11
Quote:
I'll be sticking with my Gf4MX 440 for a long time yet. It does everything I need [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]</font>

I was in denial too for a long time after I bought a GF4 MX 440 ( [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]) That card is just an ill-named GF2 with less features than a GF3. For that I will never buy Nvidia again.
2004-06-20, 4:56 PM #12
Cheeky little buggers [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif] The only game I own is NWN which runs great on it and since I refuse to buy any more games (too expensive, too many bugs etc) and only need a simple card to speed up viewport renderings in blender3d, I wont be upgrading anytime soon. See it does everything I need at minimal cost. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

FSAA and AF is just a cheap marketing gimmick anyway [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
2004-06-20, 4:59 PM #13
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by finity5:

ATI > Nvidia
And if it comes stock speed, then it is not really overclocked. That is such a bunch of bs, just a selling gimmick. Plus it would void the warrenty.

</font>

1. Maybe on Windows, but ATI makes garbage linux drivers. Besides, their OpenGL performance is inferior. Beware, Dj Yoshi.

2. It is overclocked, from 350MHz to 370MHz. No, it does not void the warrenty.

------------------
Please send me e-mail...
2004-06-20, 5:06 PM #14
Ati Cards are easily overclocked, I did it my first time...

What is wrong with Ati Drivers? I have Linux and a radeon card! They have Linux drivers on their site!

------------------

"Bantha's are filthy animals.......I don't eat filthy animals."

"Laugh it up Fuzzball!"
-Han Solo
2004-06-20, 5:42 PM #15
Why Nvidia beats ATI with their Linux drivers:
  • Performances. Nvidia beats ATI in openGL games in Windows, but ATI usually beats nVidia in Direct3D performance. Native Linux games only use openGL, and Winex Direct3D performance is fairly low next to Windows.
  • Installation. Nvidia has been releasing Linux drivers for ages. They have 64-bit drivers, and their installer is a self-extracting executable that works on any distro. In addition, it has an update tool, built in. ATI, on the other hand, only releases their drivers in RPM format. When I was on Slackware, I first had to convert the RPM to TGZ with the rpm2tgz utility. Then, when I installed it, it gave me a broken installation. It dumped a broken link to an ATI control panel in my menu, and hardware acceleration was broken. It kept spewing all sorts of errors at me. I did much research, and found that I had to recompile the kernel with the AGPGart module. I was a newbie then and knew nothing about kernel compilation. Why should I have to compile the kernel? Nvidia's drivers worked out of the box. If you look at the linux forum at www.rage3d.com , you will find that people are having problems all the time.
  • Support. ATI has frustrated the linux community this past year. Ever since drivers were released about 6 months or so ago, they have been pumping out garbage drivers that have a change-log of about 2 lines each. In addition, performance seems to decrease each time, or the thing outright breaks.

Having said that, there is nothing wrong with using an ATI card on linux if you can get it to work. It's just a pain getting there, and when you do, the performance is much less then that of an nVidia card.

If you use Windows please disregard this. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
Please send me e-mail...
2004-06-20, 6:08 PM #16
Slightly inferior OpenGL performance..though not really...and the world is gearing towards D3D (sadly) anyways. Besides, the image quality of the Radeon is FAAAAAAAAAAAAR superior. The benches don't lie--almost all current games don't even phaze the X800XT's FPS after 16xAF and 6xAA. 20 fps average.

And finity--I know. I can't wait XD

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-06-20, 6:14 PM #17
Quote:
1. Maybe on Windows, but ATI makes garbage linux drivers.

</font>

I know that I'm doing the massassi equivalent of playing with a flamethrower in a petrol refinery, but why don't you just use windows for gaming and linux for everything else?

------------------
Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poking me in the ribs and cackling, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.
2004-06-20, 6:18 PM #18
Because it's easier for me to just use Linux.

------------------
Please send me e-mail...
2004-06-20, 6:20 PM #19
nVidia beats ATI in openGL, hands down. And there is no native Direct3D in Linux. Case closed-- nVidia beats ATI in Linux, and ATI beats nVidia in Windows.

------------------
Please send me e-mail...
2004-06-20, 6:32 PM #20
Quote:
nVidia beats ATI in openGL, hands down. And there is no native Direct3D in Linux. Case closed-- nVidia beats ATI in Linux, and ATI beats nVidia in Windows.

</font>

Hands down, but not by much. Really, look at the benches. nVidia creates inferior cards--they just handle OpenGL better for some odd reason.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-06-20, 6:52 PM #21
I'd say the difference is pretty substantial.

------------------
Please send me e-mail...
2004-06-20, 7:11 PM #22
10 fps in Call of Duty is as far as I went. That's not substantial at all. I'd still get an ATi card for that--especially since they still give better image quality at better performance. But hey, that's just me.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-06-21, 1:31 AM #23
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> ATI>Nvidia </font>

Isn't ATI a type of bus or something? I hear that some Nvidia cards have a special ATI version for older computers... My Nvidia GeforceFX 5200 ATI is the only good card that actually works with my comp. Meaning the baby fits into my ATI slot.

------------------
"My god, it's full of stars!"

"True as toasted toads!"
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2004-06-21, 3:16 AM #24
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Glyde Bane:

Isn't ATI a type of bus or something? I hear that some Nvidia cards have a special ATI version for older computers... My Nvidia GeforceFX 5200 ATI is the only good card that actually works with my comp. Meaning the baby fits into my ATI slot.

</font>

Your thinking of AGP.

------------------
[="Mothers stop cooking take off your aprons; Fathers stop looking at every sports station; Take a second, and think of every poor nation." - Nas=]

Massassian since: March 12, 2001
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2004-06-21, 7:44 AM #25
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sol:
Your thinking of AGP.

</font>

Are you sure he wasn't thinking of PCI

It's kinda hard to tell, since ATI starts with an A for AGP and ends with the I for PCI...

------------------
AIM ID: BlueViper192

RiP -MaDaVentor-
The Limelite
2004-06-21, 7:59 AM #26
Maybe I'm a lucky freak, but I have no problems with ATI drivers in Linux.

Second off, gaming in Linux simply isn't an option to me. On top of the fact that most games run worse in Linux (take JA for example), and many games don't work AT ALL, I am pushed to believe that there is no point in it. Hell, Linux doesn't even support 3d acceleration in 2 monitor setup. Windows does (given only on one monitor, but it does provide it. Linux is either all or nothing)

LAN gaming under linux is deplorable, due to the fact that you need to change your network settings on the fly, depending on what events you go to, and their network. Windows makes this a helluva lot easier than Linux does.

------------------
"The future is not determined by a throw of the dice, but is determined by the conscious decisions of you and me."
I am addicted to ellipses!!! AHHH!!! ...
Make Sorrowind Worthwhile... join it! http://sorrowind.net
2004-06-21, 8:16 AM #27
I never really tried LAN gaming under linux, but Far Cry seems to run just fine for me...

------------------
Please send me e-mail...
2004-06-21, 10:58 AM #28
Quote:

</font>

You're kidding, right? Please say that was a very lame attempt at a joke because, well, just no.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-06-21, 12:10 PM #29
No I wasn't joking. As I said above:

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
The only game I own is NWN which runs great on it and since I refuse to buy any more games (too expensive, too many bugs etc) and only need a simple card to speed up viewport renderings in blender3d, I wont be upgrading anytime soon</font>

I knew exactly what I was getting when I bought it, and it was the cheapest card that did what -->I<-- needed it to. Not everyone is desperate for 4xAA and 8xAF at 1600x1200. I've never played that many games and when I did they were always older games (eg Thief) which didn't need anything more powerful than what I have. I didn't see the need to cough up for all this video processing power when I was never going to use it.

You don't buy hardware just because it's the best, you buy what suits your needs and budget. I'm happy with it, it's never let me down (operative word: me, meaning myself, I) and I saved great hunks of cash.

Let's move on from this shall we, I already feel a bit guilty for hijacking Mystic's thread.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Run- (edited June 21, 2004).]
2004-06-21, 12:54 PM #30
...er I'm not really sure why ATI being slightly inferior in OpenGL would be a big issue. The new cards are so frickin' fast like you'd notice the difference in existing OpenGL games anyway. My 9800 Pro sure has no issues spanking every OpenGL game I've thrown at it.

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1, 2 & 3 | Gonkmeg
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-06-21, 2:24 PM #31
nVidia makes sense in linux for the following reasons:
  • Native linux games only use OpenGL.
  • Nvidia has better OpenGL performance
  • Nvidia has better all-around performance that ATI in linux

So unless you use windows, getting an ATI card is silly.

------------------
Please send me e-mail...
2004-06-21, 2:25 PM #32
Err, Mystic, theres also SDL... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
2004-06-21, 2:35 PM #33
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cool Matty:
...LAN gaming under linux is deplorable, due to the fact that you need to change your network settings on the fly, depending on what events you go to, and their network. Windows makes this a helluva lot easier than Linux does.</font>

Code:
ifconfig eth0 add 192.168.0.101
ifconfig eth0 add 192.168.0.102
ifconfig eth0 add 192.168.0.103
ifconfig eth0 add 192.168.0.104
ifconfig eth0 add 192.168.0.105

Yay, now my NIC has 5 extra IPs.

Code:
route add default gw 192.168.0.1

Wee, now Ive got something to call on for DNS!

Code:
ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.100

ifconfig eth0 10.10.0.100

ifconfig eth0 1.2.3.4

ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.100

Wee, changed the IP address 4 times in as many seconds.

Now, what the hell was so hard about that?

------------------
2004-06-21, 4:05 PM #34
Now configure internet sharing, apply new shares for hard drives, make sure you give shares only on local nic, not the internet one. Find better nforce2 nic drivers. Oh, and make sure you do all this in less than 2 minutes.

Here's the windows version:

start>run>cmd
ipconfig /release all

Double Click on Internet nic icon in taskbar
Properties
Sharing Tab
Check the box
OK everything.

ipconfig /renew all

My computer
right click on drive
sharing...
new share
passwords and user accounts
ok everything.

And I'm done.

------------------
"The future is not determined by a throw of the dice, but is determined by the conscious decisions of you and me."
I am addicted to ellipses!!! AHHH!!! ...
Make Sorrowind Worthwhile... join it! http://sorrowind.net

↑ Up to the top!