Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → I took the ASVAB and...
I took the ASVAB and...
2006-05-26, 12:32 PM #1
...It looks like i can qualify for my Information System Techninician school for the United States Coast Guard! I scored an 81 on the test I took today (the RAW score). The recuiter said that I'm definitley eligable for the IT school, and if the fields I scored well in were what I think, I am qualified!

I took the test in February, but they lost my scores. Thank God I did, cause I think I scored a whole lot better this time than last. Well just wanted to share the news, don't know if anyone else here has taken the test.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

-G Man
2006-05-26, 12:35 PM #2
So uhh, how long till they meet you in person and realize you know absolutely nothing about PCs?

(I'm 100% serious, by the way.)
2006-05-26, 12:44 PM #3
Oh dear...

*keeps banstick handy*
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-05-26, 12:50 PM #4
So uhh, how long till... something something... and realize JG knows absolutely nothing about bansticks?
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2006-05-26, 12:52 PM #5
That's awesome man. I have great respect for anyone who will join, currently joining or has ever served in the military. I was gonna join but ultimately decided not too. JROTC was enough for me. The M.O.S. you choose sounds really cool. If your good with computer then go for it.
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
2006-05-26, 1:12 PM #6
Well, it's an aptitude test, they will teach him everything he needs to know about computers (for the military).

Just be sure to get the school and job guaranteed.
2006-05-26, 1:23 PM #7
Originally posted by Brian:
Well, it's an aptitude test, they will teach him everything he needs to know about computers (for the military).

This is an insurmountable task, Brian.

God help the Coast Guard.
D E A T H
2006-05-26, 1:25 PM #8
I was in the 99th percentile in every category except mechanical, where I was 60th percentile.
2006-05-26, 1:30 PM #9
I hate computer aptitude tests. they ask you questions about knowledge that no one would ever use to unsure the uselessness of the results.
2006-05-26, 1:43 PM #10
[QUOTE=Vincent Valentine]I was in the 99th percentile in every category except mechanical, where I was 60th percentile.[/QUOTE]

Hmm. Were you not sure which end was business end of the hammer?
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2006-05-26, 1:48 PM #11
I got a 94. Ha!
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2006-05-26, 1:57 PM #12
Originally posted by KnightRider2000:
...It looks like i can qualify for my Information System Techninician school for the United States Coast Guard! I scored an 81 on the test I took today (the RAW score). The recuiter said that I'm definitley eligable for the IT school, and if the fields I scored well in were what I think, I am qualified!

I took the test in February, but they lost my scores. Thank God I did, cause I think I scored a whole lot better this time than last. Well just wanted to share the news, don't know if anyone else here has taken the test.

If you get over a 75 on the ASVAB, then you qaulified take the AP test...but you would have had to of requested it after you got your results from the ASVAB and took it the same day. If you score well on the AP test, then you get a better sign-on package option.
"The solution is simple."
2006-05-26, 2:00 PM #13
Originally posted by Spook:
Hmm. Were you not sure which end was business end of the hammer?

Ha!

"Which is the end what I do the beatings with?"
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2006-05-26, 2:19 PM #14
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]This is an insurmountable task, Brian.

God help the Coast Guard.[/QUOTE]Edit: I was thinking of the National Guard. Nevermind.
2006-05-26, 7:08 PM #15
Originally posted by Brian:
.Just be sure to get the school and job guaranteed.

Getting the school isn't the hard part, it's the wait. They put you on a billet, so I might be stationed as a seaman before I go to my 6 months of "A" school in California. There is a SLIGHT chance that I can get the school right after boot camp, but it's unlikely, since IT guys are plentiful.

-G Man
2006-05-26, 7:10 PM #16
hehehe seaman
2006-05-26, 7:21 PM #17
[QUOTE=Mr. Stafford]hehehe seaman[/QUOTE]

I saw that coming, didn't know from who, but I saw that coming. :rolleyes:

-G Man
2006-05-26, 8:35 PM #18
hehehe coming seaman

o.0
2006-05-26, 8:35 PM #19
Don't touch anything that says 'nuclear' near it because you will end up smothered in a submarine for a year before you can even get looked at to work on a carrier.
2006-05-26, 8:41 PM #20
I made the mistake of trying on the ASVAB. Scored high on the cryptography part, apparently, because everyone wanted me to join their intelligence department. They kept on asking me how I was going to pay for college until I told one Marine, "I'm going to mooch off my parents for the next four years." He laughed, said good-bye, and I never heard from the military again.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2006-05-26, 9:19 PM #21
Originally posted by Greenboy:
hehehe coming seaman

Can we sink any lower?

Try your best, Massassi!
2006-05-26, 9:25 PM #22
I scored something like 96.

****ers wouldn't leave me alone for months. Then they found out I was a machinist, and they called me EVERY ****ING DAY.

Biggest mistake I've ever made was taking that test. They eventually stopped calling, but they still do every once in a while.
2006-05-26, 10:08 PM #23
I still get the occasional call from the local Marine recruiter at home. Too bad they call home while I'm gone to college, hmm, yeah, maybe that's why I never joined... Of course when they do actually call while I'm at home, yay for caller ID.
2006-05-27, 1:50 AM #24
Haha, ASVAB scores....
omnia mea mecum porto
2006-05-27, 8:47 PM #25
Originally posted by Roach:
Haha, ASVAB scores....

It's an amazingly simple test for a reason.
2006-05-27, 9:46 PM #26
Don't touch anything that says 'nuclear' near it because you will end up smothered in a submarine for a year before you can even get looked at to work on a carrier.

Haha Claustrophobia.
2006-05-27, 10:26 PM #27
Haha, it's "nuclear" dummy, the S is silent.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-05-28, 1:17 AM #28
Originally posted by Rob:
It's an amazingly simple test for a reason.

Oh yeah? You mean because it tries to leave out the bull****? I'm not laughing at the test itself, I'm laughing at the fact that a few tried to turn this thread into a pissing contest by saying "oh yeah? my score was this!" Good for you. Congrats! All that junk.
omnia mea mecum porto
2006-05-28, 1:21 AM #29
Oh yeah? You mean because it tries to leave out the bull****? I'm not laughing at the test itself, I'm laughing at the fact that a few tried to turn this thread into a pissing contest by saying "oh yeah? my score was this!" Good for you. Congrats! All that junk.

Eh, it's not really a pissing contest, so much of an "You are the idiot we tell you you are." thing.
2006-05-28, 1:23 AM #30
I'm sorry...I missed the whole "he's an idiot, we should inform him!" part, care to fill me in?
omnia mea mecum porto
2006-05-28, 1:28 AM #31
Sure.

Knightrider is an idiot, with a seriously inflated ego of and relating to how much smarter than everyone he thinks he is.

So at any time, it's real fun to **** on him for how dumb he is. Especially when he's trying to point out how smart he is.

(I didn't miss the sarcasm. I'm just really bored.)
2006-05-28, 1:30 AM #32
Fair enough.
omnia mea mecum porto
2006-05-28, 8:06 AM #33
Originally posted by Homicide:
I got a 94. Ha!

Me too. The fact that I scored that high (this is a percentile score remember) was one of the factors that scared me away from the military.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-05-28, 3:07 PM #34
Everyone in our RSS who scored over 90 is joined as infantry.

o_O
2006-05-28, 3:46 PM #35
This is interesting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armed_Services_Vocational_Aptitude_Battery
Quote:
At the moment, no one is allowed to join the U.S. armed forces with an AFQT score lower than 31

So does that mean, if someone wanted to dodge the draft (if it ever appeared again), they could take this test and purposefully score badly on it?

>_>
My JK Level Design | 2005 JK Hub Level Pack (Plexus) | Massassi Levels
2006-05-28, 4:08 PM #36
Originally posted by Daft_Vader:
This is interesting:

So does that mean, if someone wanted to dodge the draft (if it ever appeared again), they could take this test and purposefully score badly on it?

>_>

Yeah, but, IIRC, employers can (and some do) look at your ASVAB scores if you have them. They're attached to you forever and ever.
2006-05-28, 4:14 PM #37
Yeah, but, IIRC, employers can (and some do) look at your ASVAB scores if you have them. They're attached to you forever and ever.

Darn, foiled again....

<_<
My JK Level Design | 2005 JK Hub Level Pack (Plexus) | Massassi Levels
2006-05-28, 4:39 PM #38
I don't think so, I'm pretty certain they're only good for two years.
omnia mea mecum porto
2006-05-28, 5:00 PM #39
I don't think so, I'm pretty certain they're only good for two years.

They're only valid for enlistment for two years. I recall hearing/reading something about them being kept filed, even after you have joined or the time is up.
2006-05-28, 5:25 PM #40
Originally posted by Daft_Vader:
This is interesting:

>_>

I find having an impairing medical condition helps a lot more. Yay for me! :D

(Although if I was enlisted, I would probably take a local desk job with computers if they offered it)

↑ Up to the top!