Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Linux, gaming and Wine.
Linux, gaming and Wine.
2006-05-26, 4:22 PM #1
I'm saving my pennies for a new computer since my old one gave up the ghost. It'll primarily be a a linux box, but I'm thinking about getting back into a little bit of gaming, so I was curious to know what success people have had running their games with regular wine.

In the past I had JO and JA running just as well as they ever did under windows. Starcraft, warcraft ran ok, but I could never get it to go fullscreen properly.
Deus ex ran ok, except that it stuttered mightily every time you turned a corner.
Thief 2 installed but left the mouse pointer on the screen and you couldn't change the gamma levels (not fun).

Please note this is not a "I hate windows etc" rant. I don't plan on doing a huge amount of gaming so I'd rather not spend the money for windows if I didn't have to, which is why I wanted to know about other people's experiences (I've already been through the wine application database).
2006-05-26, 5:25 PM #2
Deus Ex should run fine, as long as you turn on OpenGL instead of DirectX acceleration.

The fullscreen issue with starcraft is just a configuration option.

In any case, I much perfer to game in windows anyway. I keep my linux installation for when windows (which it always does) dies and takes half my work with it, and I have to pull it off the drive.
2006-05-26, 5:46 PM #3
I did try fiddling with the configs for Starcraft, but it never came out right (obviously can't test it now). I realise it might easier to just have windows there, but I'd rather not shell out for it when I only do a little gaming here and there. Plus it's much more fun tinkering around ;)

↑ Up to the top!