Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → NAV10 exploit
NAV10 exploit
2006-05-27, 5:27 PM #1
Don't know if any of you are running NAV10 or Corporate editon (not the same as NAV 2006), but there's apparently a flaw that lets hackers seize control of your PC.

Link.

Most people who bought NAV2006 from Best Buy and the like should be protected, apparently.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2006-05-27, 5:30 PM #2
And people wonder why I say Norton sucks.
D E A T H
2006-05-27, 5:34 PM #3
Symantec makes bloatware anymore. I tell all my clients to steer clear of ALL of their products.
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2006-05-27, 5:37 PM #4
Finally being hacked through a program that was designed to prevent hacking?

Ironic?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-05-27, 5:50 PM #5
Originally posted by Echoman:

Ironic?

Thing is, it's been happening for years. Norton has been targeted by most virus creators because it's the most popular tool out there. If you can sidestep the most popular virus detecting tool, you've increased your virus's effectiveness by a thousand percent. And Symantec has done little to fix this problem.
D E A T H
2006-05-27, 5:54 PM #6
and thus, the reason why I like free AVs increases
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2006-05-27, 5:56 PM #7
Originally posted by genk:
and thus, the reason why I like free AVs increases

AVG sucks. Hard. It's almost worse than Norton as far as detecting viruses, and is fairly pointless. Housecall is better.

That said, if any of you are looking to switch after hearing this information, PC-Cillin by Trend Micro is an EXCELLENT choice for an anti-virus.
D E A T H
2006-05-27, 5:59 PM #8
Originally posted by Echoman:

That's a firewall. AV software prevents infections.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2006-05-27, 6:01 PM #9
Originally posted by Wolfy:
That's a firewall. AV software prevents infections.

In a roundabout way, Anti-Virus' also prevent hacking. Viruses can open backdoors which could allow a person to externally take control of a PC.
D E A T H
2006-05-27, 6:05 PM #10
<Dj-Yoshi> You rely too much on evidence, in the PC world a lot of things are based on user experience
<Dj-Yoshi> something you don't have much of
<JoshH> ...I rely too much on evidence?
<Genki> hahaha
<JoshH> So...it's better to make arguments that have no basis?

>.<
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2006-05-27, 6:08 PM #11
[20:05] <Dj-Yoshi> <JoshH> So...it's better to make arguments that have no basis? <--way to take my words out of context
[20:05] <JoshH> Not really, no.
[20:05] <Dj-Yoshi> but for someone of your limited perspective and knowledge, it's not surprising you're scrambling for an argument
[20:05] <Dj-Yoshi> Yes really
[20:05] <Dj-Yoshi> <Dj-Yoshi> You rely too much on evidence, in the PC world a lot of things are based on user experience
[20:05] <Genki> thats exactly how I, and i'm guessing boco read into yoshi, its how you worded it
[20:05] <Dj-Yoshi> read the quote in its entirety
D E A T H
2006-05-27, 6:12 PM #12
I've been using the McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.0i, provided by RIT. It's pretty good, has caught quite a few viruses. Never given me any trouble.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-05-27, 6:39 PM #13
All these things work on the principle of Enumerating Badness, which is flawed to begin with. Why would you have a program that has to keep track of thousands and thousands of bad things, when instead you could keep track of the dozen programs you actually use? It's just dumb.
Wikissassi sucks.
2006-05-27, 6:42 PM #14
Originally posted by Isuwen:
All these things work on the principle of Enumerating Badness, which is flawed to begin with. Why would you have a program that has to keep track of thousands and thousands of bad things, when instead you could keep track of the dozen programs you actually use? It's just dumb.

Get on that then :p
D E A T H

↑ Up to the top!