Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → XP Themes
XP Themes
2006-05-30, 6:08 PM #1
Alright. So basically, I want some new themes that are slick and clean looking, and everything I managed to find on ThemeXP.org was bundled with about 4 or 5 different spyware, adware, malware type programs. "We have what you want, now let us screw up your system and plague it with problems!"

Quick Google searches didn't help me find any better sites... sooooooo....

What're some reasonably nice themes you guys have? Download links would be nice, but I could probably Google the name and find it myself. Keep in mind these would be themes that'll work with the uxtheme hack and such. Not windowblinds.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2006-05-30, 6:19 PM #2
Here's a visual style I like that's simple and clean.

I used it with StyleXP, but sadly that program's a trial. How do you use that uxtheme hack? Is it harmful in any ways?
Wes Darklighter
|Theed|
2006-05-30, 6:29 PM #3
I use windowblinds + litestep (yes I know people will attempt to rape me for using litestep, but it works moderately annoyingly for me and that's fine with me)
一个大西瓜
2006-05-30, 6:37 PM #4
Originally posted by phoenix_9286:
Alright. So basically, I want some new themes that are slick and clean looking, and everything I managed to find on ThemeXP.org was bundled with about 4 or 5 different spyware, adware, malware type programs. "We have what you want, now let us screw up your system and plague it with problems!"

Quick Google searches didn't help me find any better sites... sooooooo....

What're some reasonably nice themes you guys have? Download links would be nice, but I could probably Google the name and find it myself. Keep in mind these would be themes that'll work with the uxtheme hack and such. Not windowblinds.

Last I checked, themeXP didn't have spyware on it...unless you consider StyleXP, litestep, or other such programs to be spyware. You can implement the themes yourself rather easily too.
D E A T H
2006-05-30, 6:38 PM #5
:google: uxtheme.dll (SP1/2 if you have it) patch. You can use ANY theme w/o third-party program.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-05-30, 6:47 PM #6
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]Last I checked, themeXP didn't have spyware on it...unless you consider StyleXP, litestep, or other such programs to be spyware. You can implement the themes yourself rather easily too.[/QUOTE]
You misunderstood completely.

I'm using the uxtheme hack. Software to implement the themes is a non-issue. I'm doing it natively through windows.

Go here. http://themexp.org/
Download anything with a red asterisk next to it.
That little red asterisk says, "* This author has generously allowed us to wrap this file to help keep our costs down. Click here for more information."
When you attempt to run their .exe, before you can have the file you just downloaded, you have to agree to install about 4 different piece of malware.

Not all of the files on themexp.org are wrapped with crapware, but everything I was mildly interested in was. And I'm not about to deal with crapware clean up just to get a theme I'm mildly interested in seeing.

Thanks for the link Wes. ;)
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2006-05-30, 7:27 PM #7
Originally posted by phoenix_9286:
You misunderstood completely.

I'm using the uxtheme hack. Software to implement the themes is a non-issue. I'm doing it natively through windows.

Go here. http://themexp.org/
Download anything with a red asterisk next to it.
That little red asterisk says, "* This author has generously allowed us to wrap this file to help keep our costs down. Click here for more information."
When you attempt to run their .exe, before you can have the file you just downloaded, you have to agree to install about 4 different piece of malware.

Not all of the files on themexp.org are wrapped with crapware, but everything I was mildly interested in was. And I'm not about to deal with crapware clean up just to get a theme I'm mildly interested in seeing.

Thanks for the link Wes. ;)

No, I didn't misunderstand. I just never encountered the files. If you'll recall, I said "last I remember", which was about a year or so ago, at least. About a year and a half, actually. So you see, this is new.
D E A T H
2006-05-30, 7:56 PM #8
Last time I checked, themexp.org bundled EVERY theme with that @#%^.

Anyways I use Watercolor. It's basis was an old XP theme prototype that was scrapped in favor of Luna.

Here's a good theme site: http://www.customize.org/list/stylexp

Watercolor is here: http://www.neowin.net/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t32604.html

And it seems I've been using a slightly older version, yay for improvements.

2006-05-30, 8:10 PM #9
Some of the stock Alienware themes are nice, clean, and simple. Me likey.
2006-05-30, 9:35 PM #10
I had Windowblinds up until yesterday, since I replaced it with bbLean. It was a custom skin, working off a darkened, desaturated XP theme. It should be visible in my last desktop screenshot, but I'm going to try and make similar adjustmets to bb if possible.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2006-05-30, 10:38 PM #11
Google for Non-step (A litestep theme). It's pretty.

For Windowblinds - Vectorcell and Opulence are teh win.
2006-05-30, 11:20 PM #12
Mm, Opulence.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-05-30, 11:23 PM #13
whats wrong with windows theme

windows xp style silver ftw
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2006-05-30, 11:27 PM #14
Originally posted by 7:

It's bulky, bubbly, and the color isn't at all malleable to one's taste.

I can barely stand the blue theme, the silver theme makes me want to vomit, and I'm too lazy to pirate stylexp or do the uxtheme.dll hack, so I'm just holding out for Vista when Aero will make everything better.
D E A T H
2006-05-30, 11:33 PM #15
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]It's bulky, bubbly, and the color isn't at all malleable to one's taste.

I can barely stand the blue theme, the silver theme makes me want to vomit, and I'm too lazy to pirate stylexp or do the uxtheme.dll hack, so I'm just holding out for Vista when Aero will make everything better.[/QUOTE]
You'll have to buy the more expensive version. The cheapest one doesn't come with Aero.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-05-31, 12:01 AM #16
Originally posted by JediGandalf:
You'll have to buy the more expensive version. The cheapest one doesn't come with Aero.

"Buy."

JG, why did you leave this comment. You know me. :p
D E A T H
2006-05-31, 5:01 AM #17
Originally posted by 7:

Default > *
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2006-05-31, 6:35 AM #18
http://www.customize.org/details/37572

I use the blue version of this an like it very much so.
nope.
2006-05-31, 10:42 AM #19
If the XP themes could be custom-colored natively, then it'd be fine, but I need dark colors, bright lights suck.

Classic > XP
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2006-05-31, 12:47 PM #20
Anything in windows can be customised from the regisrty editor but unless you know what your doing I would HIGHLY recommend not doing it unless your willing to reinstall everything :D
2006-05-31, 1:03 PM #21
I used to use the Classic theme... but after seeing some of these styles, I think I'm going to switch! :]

Are those "Vista Transformation Kits" a bad idea?
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2006-05-31, 1:16 PM #22
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]"Buy."

JG, why did you leave this comment. You know me. :p[/QUOTE]
Hahaha. So true.
>>untie shoes
2006-05-31, 3:56 PM #23
[QUOTE=Wes Darklighter]Here's a visual style I like that's simple and clean.

I used it with StyleXP, but sadly that program's a trial. How do you use that uxtheme hack? Is it harmful in any ways?[/QUOTE]

Wow... I'm in love with that theme. Thanks for that link! I'll be using it for years to come.
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2006-05-31, 5:23 PM #24
[url]www.deviantart.com[/url]
It's a pretty sweet web site. The uxtheme.dll hack isn't bad at all. I have done it multiple times with no problems. This way I don't have to worry about programs taking up memory or processor load. Its cleaner, too, to do it this way. I'd recommend the hack. Its easy and fast. No worries.
"You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!" Anyone who recognizes this quote is awsome.
2006-05-31, 5:36 PM #25
bblean!
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2006-05-31, 5:43 PM #26
Originally posted by Sol:
Wow... I'm in love with that theme. Thanks for that link! I'll be using it for years to come.

This is a (older) version of that theme that includes blue, green and black variants.
Wes Darklighter
|Theed|

↑ Up to the top!