Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Harry Potter: Prisoner of Azkaban...
Harry Potter: Prisoner of Azkaban...
2004-06-20, 2:59 PM #1
I just saw it today in theaters, and it's quite good. Most likely, it'd be better if you've read the books, so you understand what's going on. I've read all of them, so it made perfect sense.

Anyway, it has some good qualities to it. I recomend you see it if you already haven't.

------------------
Titan A.E.
Titan A.E.
2004-06-20, 3:12 PM #2
You can definetaly tell it is done by a different director. A TON of small details that make the book what it is were left out, and everything happened way too fast. It seemed like 30 minutes into the movie the end was there. I guess there was no real development.

------------------
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2004-06-20, 3:14 PM #3
Yeah I thought it was directed better, but edited worse. It was a really great film don't get me wrong, but...it was the longest book...and the shortest film.

------------------
"Ever since I was a boy, I have always kept your laws, now I want to follow you and join you in your noble cause. Jesus turned to him and said, 'Sell all you have give to the poor.' Rich young ruler hung his head, not to follow, walked instead." - Vanishing Lesson
Think while it's still legal.
2004-06-20, 4:09 PM #4
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SAJN_Master:
Yeah I thought it was directed better, but edited worse. It was a really great film don't get me wrong, but...it was the longest book...and the shortest film.

</font>

By 10 minutes...hardly anything to complain about.
2004-06-20, 4:13 PM #5
I might be alone on this, but I think the new Dumbledore was an improvement. While it went by really fast, the quality of the editing and other little things impressed me.

BTW, this is hilarious. Prisoner of Azkaban summarized in 15 minutes.

------------------
Space Colony Inc. Phoenix Suburban City Dereliction
"I'm afraid of OC'ing my video card. You never know when Ogre Calling can go terribly wrong."
2004-06-20, 4:35 PM #6
I didnt really like it, it was OKAY... but then again I was dragged out of my house by my GF to go see it... cant say I can complain with spending time with her but it was kind of a boring movie.

------------------
"Ahhhh!! I'm Burnin'! I'm Burnin!!!" - Cleaner from Max Payne 2
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2004-06-20, 4:35 PM #7
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">HARRY: Let’s give him to the Dementors and let them suck his soul out through his nose.

SIRIUS: That’s my boy!</font>

YES!!!

------------------
"My god, it's full of stars!"

"True as toasted toads!"

[This message has been edited by Glyde Bane (edited June 20, 2004).]
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2004-06-20, 5:12 PM #8
I didnt like it nearly as well as the other two. The director screwed up stuff and made no reference to the firebolt in the middle but put it in at the very end. The ending was cool but when you do a series you stick to the setup. And then there was Dumbledore.

Dumbledore I think didnt do half as good of a job as the old one. He could at least try to sound old. He talked like he was 55 not 90. Plus he was just off (if u know what i mean) and he didnt seem to put nearly as much effort into being old and wise as the old one.

Oh well. Maybe the next one will be better and dam*it they better but in Cho Chang.

------------------
Ya know ive noticed that turning into a grown up just means you have more power to change your body into crap.
Light And Darkness|Remnant Temple Part A|A work in progress
I was just petting the bunny, and it went into the soup can, and part of my hand went with it. - Red vs Blue
2004-06-20, 8:25 PM #9
Dumbledore was definitely the low part of the film for me. I actually enjoyed the other director's style a LOT more. It seemed that with this movie it was less Harry Potter-ish and more like Friends but with wands and no recliners. I dunno, I hope you guys can figure out that one.

My favorite parts of the 15-Minute Summary:

HARRY: Hedwig! You made it!

HEDWIG: Love you too, *****.

-----------

RON: Wow, Hagrid’s hut is in a totally different location than it used to be.

HERMIONE: Seriously, what up with that?

-----------

Some Really Long Bridge on the School Grounds That Didn’t Exist Before This Movie

Some Really Long Bridge on the School Grounds That Didn’t Exist Before This Movie

Everyone else has gone to Hogsmeade. Harry can’t, because the Dursleys suck.

LUPIN: So I knew you’d conjure something terrifying, which is why I stopped you.

HARRY: Except that… you totally didn’t.

LUPIN: Whatever. My point is, I thought you’d choose Voldemort for your turn.

HARRY: Well, then, that makes letting me have a whack at the boggart really stupid, now, doesn’t it?

-----------

...sorry... the point is, if you saw the movie read that it's funny.

------------------
free mp3 ~Jump - Young America

new album Between the Dim and the Dark available now

[This message has been edited by Schming (edited June 20, 2004).]
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2004-06-21, 12:41 AM #10
I liked it much better than the first two. There was finally a new story. There was finally some decent action and not as much focus on that STUPID GAME where they fly around on brooms.

------------------
EvilMagic.net: Brian's Web Log
2004-06-21, 1:10 AM #11
Well, the thing I'm looking forward to is that everyone will die by book 7. What a way to end the Harry Potter Series [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
I'm sorry, you must be lost... I think you really don't belong here.
Email me
2004-06-21, 1:18 AM #12
I found it kina short... So many details left out... And I must say, the Werewolf was aweful... Looked like Gollum...

/Edward
Edward's Cognative Hazards
2004-06-21, 3:34 AM #13
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Brian:
I liked it much better than the first two. There was finally a new story. There was finally some decent action and not as much focus on that STUPID GAME where they fly around on brooms.

</font>

Uh Brian, Did you ummm...read the books?

------------------
Ya know ive noticed that turning into a grown up just means you have more power to change your body into crap.
Light And Darkness|Remnant Temple Part A|A work in progress
I was just petting the bunny, and it went into the soup can, and part of my hand went with it. - Red vs Blue
2004-06-21, 6:18 AM #14
I've seen em, read and and agree with Brian: The quidditch had already been done to death...

------------------
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.
2004-06-21, 7:19 AM #15
Heh, well you're gonna enjoy the start of the next movie, then...

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-06-21, 7:22 AM #16
I thought it was better than the other two, but it left a lot of important stuff out.

• The book says the Grim (the dog that Harry sees, the dog that Black turns into) is as big as a bear. The dog in the movie looked like a runty, mangy wolf.
  • Throughout the novel, Hermione's cat, Crookshanks, is constantly harrassing Scabbers, who she knows isn't really a rat. Crookshanks is also seen by Harry running around the grounds with Black. Crookshanks appears at the end of the novel when she helps Hermione and Harry enter the tunnel under the Whomping Willow (more on that later).
  • Percy is made head boy, but is barely mentioned in the movie.
  • Dementors don't fly.
  • After Black attacks the Fat Lady in the painting (which has oddly moved since the first two films), she is replaced by Sir Codagen, who insists on changing the password at least two times a day. Neville can barely remember the passwords, and is given a list for the the next few weeks. The list is stolen by Crookshanks, who gives it to Black. Later that night, Ron awakes as Black is slashing his bed curtains to get to Peter Pettigrew. Ron's screams scare Black away. After this, security trolls are placed at the entrance to the common room.
  • The significance of who made the map is never mentioned, nor is the significance of Black and Potter's frienship, or the significance of the stag.
  • To enter the passage under Whomping Willow, you press a knot which causes the tree to become quiscient. In the book, when Harry and Hermione are chasing after Black and Ron, Crookshanks runs up and presses the knot so they can get in. It seems they wanted to add another 'action' scene instead.
  • The Firebolt is given to Harry in the middle of the year, and is then confiscated to be checked for jinxes, as they think Black sent it.
  • Quidditch is hardly in the movie, which is quite disappointing since the Quidditch final vs. Slytherin is an awesome game.

Yeah, I'm a nerd. Oh well.

[Edit: Oliver Wood isn't even in the movie, which is distressing because he's the coolest Quidditch captain ever. Also, Ron's boggart isn't a spider with roller skates, it's a spider without legs, but I guess that's not PC enough.]

------------------
"I'd rather be hated for who I am rather than loved for who I pretend to be." -Janis Joplin

[This message has been edited by Vincent Valentine (edited June 21, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by Vincent Valentine (edited June 21, 2004).]
2004-06-21, 11:43 AM #17
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">SCARY SHRIVELED HAND: *pulls open door*

DEMENTOR: SHIIIIIRE…. BAAAAAGGINS….

KIDS: AHHHHHHH!</font>

bahahaha.

------------------
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2004-06-21, 2:20 PM #18
[sigh]

[This message has been edited by Omicron88 (edited June 21, 2004).]
2004-06-21, 2:24 PM #19
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Vincent Valentine:
    </font>
    Exactly. This seemed more like an independant movie than a screen-adaptation.

[edit: RON AND HERMIONE: *bicker bicker Scabbers plot point bicker*

WANTED POSTER: RAAAA! LOOK AT ME! I’M SO CRAZY! I’M CRAZY GARY OLDMAN!

MR. WEASLEY: Harry, there’s something I’m not supposed to tell you that I’ve gotta tell you.

HARRY: Okay, shoot.

MR. WEASLEY: Sirius Black is specifically coming to kill you. Promise me that whatever terrible and infuriating things anyone says, you won’t go after him.

HARRY: Should I ask follow-up questions about this?

MR. WEASLEY: Not unless you want to get down to the bottom of the mystery in the first fifteen minutes of the movie.

HARRY: Oh, okay.

WANTED POSTER: SO CRAZY!

:laffo: ]
    2004-06-21, 3:16 PM #20
    No, I didn't read the books. I tried, but they were too dull. It was seriously a child's book:

It was hot out. Harry lived in a house. The house was on a road. The road was called Happy Street. Harry had a bird. The bird was an owl. The owl was white. White is a color. I am so boring.

You get my point...

------------------
    2004-06-21, 3:25 PM #21
    He lives on Privet Drive, not Happy Street.

Duh.
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side
    2004-06-21, 8:18 PM #22
    Nope I dont get your point.. dont remember reading that at all....

I'll admit that the first few pages of the books may be like that... but I figured you to be the type of person to be able to read past the first 4 pages of a book Brian.

------------------

[This message has been edited by KOP_Snake (edited June 21, 2004).]
    2004-06-21, 9:28 PM #23
    I prefer books/novels aimed at a slightly more sophisticated audience.

------------------
    2004-06-21, 10:42 PM #24
    I can't believe people would seriously try to deny that children's books are written at a children's level. Yes, the story is interesting, but that alone can't make up for otherwise dull writing (imo).

I read the first 2 books and half the 3rd before I became bored with the series. Meh, I don't really consider HP anything special.

------------------
    </sarcasm>
    </sarcasm>
    <Anovis> mmmm I wanna lick your wet, Mentis.
    2004-06-21, 10:50 PM #25
    Which makes a good point. Why are children's authors so boring? Yet, why at the same time do people think Tom Clancy writes interesting stories when he is the MOST boring writer on the planet and probably has had a ghost writer ever since he wrote The Hunt for Red October.

------------------
    free mp3 ~Jump - Young America

new album Between the Dim and the Dark available now
    "Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
    2004-06-21, 10:55 PM #26
    Quote:
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Schming:
    Which makes a good point. Why are children's authors so boring? Yet, why at the same time do people think Tom Clancy writes interesting stories when he is the MOST boring writer on the planet and probably has had a ghost writer ever since he wrote The Hunt for Red October.

</font>

quoted for those people who may have otherwise skipped over it

------------------
    </sarcasm>
    </sarcasm>
    <Anovis> mmmm I wanna lick your wet, Mentis.
    2004-06-22, 2:25 AM #27
    The problem with children's books is that they are written for children. You can't use descriptive words or interesting sentence structures because it confuses young minds.

No idea about Tom Clancy, I was never able to get through even one of his books.

------------------
    2004-06-22, 4:42 AM #28
    The sentence structures are simple, yes, but I wouldnt call JK Rowling's writing undescriptive. Most of the time she paints a wonderful picture, with just enough detail to leave some things up to your imagination.

------------------
    The Massassi-Map
    There is no spoon.

[This message has been edited by Spork (edited June 22, 2004).]
    The Massassi-Map
    There is no spoon.
    2004-06-22, 4:46 AM #29
    Quote:
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Brian:
    It was hot out. Harry lived in a house. The house was on a road. The road was called Happy Street. Harry had a bird. The bird was an owl. The owl was white. White is a color. I am so boring.
    </font>

I actually like the books, but I did think that was pretty funny [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
    Pyro Universe The ultimate place for fireworks lovers! Learn how to put on your own show! Fireworks diagrams, instructions, pictures, safety tips, links, and a message board.

New! Fireworks T-shirts!
    Pyro Universe The ultimate place for fireworks lovers! Learn how to put on your own show! Fireworks diagrams, instructions, pictures, safety tips, links, and a message board.

Boomtown Fireworks - Washington State fireworks retailer - huge selection!
    2004-06-22, 6:50 AM #30
    Quote:
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Spork:
    The sentence structures are simple, yes, but I wouldnt call JK Rowling's writing undescriptive. Most of the time she paints a wonderful picture, with just enough detail to leave some things up to your imagination.

</font>

I agree. I didn't find the books boring at all when i read them for the first time a couple of weeks ago.

------------------
    /fluffle
    /fluffle
    2004-06-22, 9:48 AM #31
    Do you guys read often? Like, other, more mature books? Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of fantasy and I read all the time. I just couldn't get into those harry potter books.

------------------

↑ Up to the top!