Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → I need a headset
I need a headset
2006-06-02, 10:13 AM #1
Quote:
[13:12:20] [@The_MAZZTer] hmmm
[13:12:30] [@The_MAZZTer] i want a headset (headphones + built in mic) for my PC
[13:12:50] [@The_MAZZTer] caveat: mic port is at the back of my pc, so I'd need a long cord
[13:13:05] [@The_MAZZTer] I need recommendations, preferabbly in online orderable form
[13:13:16] [@The_MAZZTer] actually lemme make a thread

Basically I want one for gaming and skypeout (kekeke free calls) and recording insults to post to my website and stuff.

BTW, if these things come in USB, that's also an option for me. It might even be preferable to a standard audio in plug + standard audio out plug.

As for price range, I'm currently using $20 headphones. Basically I don't want to spend $100 or even $50 on a headset if at all possible.

2006-06-02, 10:18 AM #2
I believe these are the best ones for the cheapest prices. (They really are great quality). Both are from wal-mart in this case.

For over the head:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4064455

For behind the head:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4064457

(I use the behind the head one, because it's more comfortable imo.)
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2006-06-02, 10:22 AM #3
Thanks!

But one thing confuses me. Your first link has this for the plugs:

# Interfaces 1 x 3.5 mm Stereo Plug
# 1 x 3.5 mm Microphone

Which I can use. But the second one (which I think I'd like better) says:

# Interfaces1 x 3.5 mm Pin

Any idea what that means?

2006-06-02, 10:39 AM #4
I'm really not sure to be honest, but that's not exactly the same model I have, but it's very very close. If you're planning on going to the store, you'll find the one I'm talking about, which looks very close to that, and is $15.00-$16.00. It has 2 plugs, which go directly into your sound card. A red plug (for the mic), and a green plug (for the headphones). I like soundcard plugs a lot more than USB, because USB mics tend to have a lot more problems in my experiences.
Author of the JK levels:

2006-06-02, 10:45 AM #5
http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/speakers/6326/

That is the headset that I own. It is very very reliable, picks up your voice crystal clear, and has very good sound quality.

Wal-Mart had that headset cheaper for around 15.00 when they carried it, but I guess they don't now? (I got it about 2 months ago). Anyways, that's the one with the 2 plugs, red and green. I'm not sure how the 2nd one works on the first post I made, I guess you'd just have to go and look if you wanted to. Or you could just try to find this one that I just posted at a store, or order it online right there.

Hope that helps.
Author of the JK levels:

2006-06-02, 2:36 PM #6
What you want is a pair of these

I have a pair of the 271's that these are based on, and they are amazing headphones. Pity about the price.

[edit]

Also, whatever you do, do not buy the over the head Logitech Premium Stereo Headset w/ Microphone, the cord is poorly desinged/made and will likley suffer from an internal short within the first 6 months of use (it did for me). Plus, they can only be described as "Clamp-o-rific".
"Well, if I am not drunk, I am mad, but I trust I can behave like a gentleman in either
condition."... G. K. Chesterton

“questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself”
2006-06-02, 2:58 PM #7
I -HIGHLY- recommend these. My dog got tangled in them, paniced, and ripped the wires, though... They really are great.

http://www.techdepot.com/product.asp?productid=3550974&affid=10000485

↑ Up to the top!