Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Snake on a m************ plane!
Snake on a m************ plane!
2006-06-02, 2:12 PM #1
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,197976,00.html
Quote:
Pilot Fights Black Snake Stowaway on Plane
Friday, June 02, 2006

CHARLESTON, W.Va. — Monty Coles was 3,000 feet in the air when he discovered a stowaway peeking out at him from the plane's instrument panel — a 4 1/2-foot black snake.

Coles had left Charleston earlier for a leisurely flight over the West Virginia countryside last Saturday in his Piper Cherokee and was preparing to land in Gallipolis, Ohio, when the snake revealed itself.

"Nothing in any of the manuals ever described anything like this," the 62-year-old Cross Lanes resident said. But the advice given 25 years earlier from his flight instructor immediately came to mind: "No matter what happens, fly the plane."

An attempt to swat the snake only resulted in it falling to Coles' feet under the rudder pedals. It then darted to the other side of the cockpit.

While maintaining control of the single-engine plane with one hand, Coles grabbed the reptile behind its head with his other.

"There was no way I was letting that thing go. It coiled all around my arm, and its tail grabbed hold of a lever on the floor and started pulling," Coles said.

The next step was to radio for emergency landing clearance.

"They came back and asked what my problem was. I told them I had one hand full of snake and the other hand full of plane. They cleared me in."

After a smooth landing, Coles posed for pictures with the snake, then let it loose.

"That snake resides in Ohio now," he said. "I wasn't about to bring it home. I don't mind snakes, but I sure like to know where they are."

Coles said he was lucky his usual travel companions, his wife and dachshund, were not on the flight.

"If my wife had been in the plane, I wouldn't have a wife, a plane or myself," Coles said. "I don't know what might have happened if Killer had been in the plane, but it sure would have been a lot more exciting."
woot!
2006-06-02, 2:16 PM #2
Sweet.
2006-06-02, 2:17 PM #3
silly snakes
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2006-06-02, 3:07 PM #4
Wow. That makes the problems I had driving today seem quite insignifigant.
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
2006-06-02, 3:07 PM #5
"SNAKES?! I HATE SNAKES!" - Indy
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2006-06-02, 3:08 PM #6
Whoa! :eek:
Pissed Off?
2006-06-02, 3:13 PM #7
one hand full of snake?

>.>
<.<
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2006-06-02, 3:14 PM #8
How did it get there...in the first place?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-06-02, 3:33 PM #9
Too much awesome.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2006-06-02, 3:56 PM #10
His dog's name is Killer. How sweet.
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2006-06-02, 4:09 PM #11
[QUOTE=Bounty Hunter 4 hire]Wow. That makes the problems I had driving today seem quite insignifigant.[/QUOTE]

Like this time I looked in my rear view mirror and saw a bee crawling across the back window. Its hard to concentrate on driving when you're worried about getting stung.
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2006-06-02, 4:31 PM #12
Wow, some people will stop at nothing to promote a movie!
The tips at the end of shoelaces are called "aglets". Their true purpose is sinister.
2006-06-02, 4:37 PM #13
That's only about an hour from home! That's pretty crazy.
2006-06-02, 5:01 PM #14
So I guess Snakes on the Plane is an exaggerated true story....
2006-06-02, 6:20 PM #15
Originally posted by Schming:
His dog's name is Killer. How sweet.

No, that's his wife's name.
2006-06-02, 6:30 PM #16
Originally posted by KOP_Snake:
Like this time I looked in my rear view mirror and saw a bee crawling across the back window. Its hard to concentrate on driving when you're worried about getting stung.

A story my dad always tells is how he crashed his old Nova. Somehow wasps nested in the AC, and when he turned it on they went nuts . He tried to pay attention to the road but wound up crashing.
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....

↑ Up to the top!