Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → I got a new laptop (and stuff)
I got a new laptop (and stuff)
2004-06-21, 1:26 PM #1
For my birthday yesterday, I got a surprise gift of a laptop. w00t! But the laptop is a Mac. Personally, I never owned any Mac or really used the OS. To be brief, I have some questions:

-Where do you find games for Macs? Is there a compatiblity program or something? Do local game stores have them somewhere (I haven't seen them)?

-What is the Alt-Ctrl-Del for Macs?

Well, to break away from the numerous computer threads on Massassi, I decide to dedicate this thread to Sean Connery for no real reason:

[http://blargh.mine.nu/test/134/81087859622.jpg]

If you don't have an answer, you can still participate in this thread with something Sean Connery.

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)

--------@%

The Massassi JO/JA Single Player contest info
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-06-21, 1:35 PM #2
Games?! MAC?! BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAH!

And, that isn't Sean Connery.

------------------
"Ever since I was a boy, I have always kept your laws, now I want to follow you and join you in your noble cause. Jesus turned to him and said, 'Sell all you have give to the poor.' Rich young ruler hung his head, not to follow, walked instead." - Vanishing Lesson
Think while it's still legal.
2004-06-21, 1:41 PM #3
As for the games:

http://www.redvsblue.com/appleswitch.shtml

As for the pic:

SAJN is right.

This thread's going down the crapper.

------------------
http://www.sporkaudio.com
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2004-06-21, 1:42 PM #4
And as for the Ctrl-Alt-Del, it's control-option-triangle thingy in the top right.

------------------
http://www.sporkaudio.com
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2004-06-21, 1:47 PM #5
Apple Stores will probably have the best game selection ofr Macs

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-06-21, 1:51 PM #6
Hope this helps gamewise (unlike the rest of this thread).
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side
2004-06-21, 3:27 PM #7
If there is a CompUSA near you, check them. I think most have an Apple section in them. At our local one, that section also has loads of software for it, including games. There are a LOT more titles than people think. Failing CompUSA, the Internet is always a viable option. As was mentioned by Evil_Tofu, Apple's site has a good listing.

CTL-ALT-DEL on a Mac with OSX is CMD-SHIFT-ESC. However, unlike with Windows, this will not reboot the machine, least I don't think it will. I've never tried. Anyway, it gives you a very nice little window listing all the programs running. If one is dead, it's name is in Red.

Anything else you need?

------------------
Frogblast the Vent Core!

--End of Line--
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-06-21, 3:57 PM #8
Here's what you do:

1. Get the receipt
2. Take the laptop back to the store
3. Obtain refund
4. Buy Alienware laptop
5. ???
6. Profit!

------------------
"The future is not determined by a throw of the dice, but is determined by the conscious decisions of you and me."
I am addicted to ellipses!!! AHHH!!! ...
Make Sorrowind Worthwhile... join it! http://sorrowind.net
2004-06-21, 4:43 PM #9
I had a nice little rant written up, but I'm not going to bother. Lets just leave it with the fact that I hate people like you.

------------------
Frogblast the Vent Core!

--End of Line--
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Last Stand
2004-06-21, 4:58 PM #10
Cool Matty, dont. Just dont.

------------------
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind.
:wq
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-06-21, 5:00 PM #11
How is over paying for an alienware laptop better than a Mac book that'll probably last him until he loses it?

------------------
</sarcasm>
</sarcasm>
<Anovis> mmmm I wanna lick your wet, Mentis.
2004-06-21, 5:05 PM #12
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Compos Mentis:
How is over paying for an alienware laptop better than a Mac book that'll probably last him until he loses it?

</font>

Well of course the mac will last forever, since it doesn't run anything [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
"The future is not determined by a throw of the dice, but is determined by the conscious decisions of you and me."
I am addicted to ellipses!!! AHHH!!! ...
Make Sorrowind Worthwhile... join it! http://sorrowind.net
2004-06-21, 5:07 PM #13
Please take your ignorance and die. Thanks.

------------------
Frogblast the Vent Core!

--End of Line--
Last Stand
2004-06-21, 5:08 PM #14
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cool Matty:
Well of course the mac will last forever, since it doesn't run anything [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]</font>

Dont be silly. That Mac laptop will run anyhting youd like, just as soon as you get rid of that stupid OS and put Linux on it... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
2004-06-21, 5:09 PM #15
I am one who hates Macs. If you've ever talked to me, you would know that I despise them

That is until my brother got his iBook....

Mac OS 10.3.4 (I think that's the version it's up to) has to be one of the best OS's I've ever used. Stable as hell, since OS X is a totally UNIX based OS.

As for the laptop, it's quiet as hell. On one charge, my brother's battery lasted close to 5-6 hours, which isn't too shabby considering some other laptops only go up to 4, and some even 3. It's sexy [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif].

It had the easiest networking I've ever done. The AirPort Extreme card picked up our network immediatley, without any setup whatsoever, and he was able to browse our network and get on the net.

We added 512MB of RAM to it, so now it has a total of 768MB of RAM, and it is freaken fast.

True, I could've gotten a Compaq/HP laptop for like 1,200 dollars, but Compaq/HP are the worst brands of laptops to buy. My bro got his iBook, after student discounts, and some bargaining, we got it for a great price. We even got a free printer too.

All in all, my whole familiy is very very happy with the Apple laptop, and I for once was silenced from my mac-bashing. If I had the chance right now, I would definitly get an Apple laptop. That is of course, if I didn't have 2,500 to spend on an Alienware Area51 or whatever.

------------------
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2004-06-22, 4:21 AM #16
I guess I will be happy with my Mac laptop with video and sound media. And I do have one free game, Tony Hawk Skater 4, with the system (but I don't like skateboard games.) I am looking foward to level-editing on this nice system (if I can get a hold of the games.) The graphic card is ATI Mobile Radeon 9200.

And mscbuck, the laptop is very quiet compared to my older PC laptop. And the design is great (and compact) and the battery lasts a long time (4-5) hours. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

Evil Tofu and phoenix_9286, Danke sehr! I bet I will have questions sooner or later when I explore more of the Mac OS.

And Cool Matty, I can't return it like that. It was a gift. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]

And the Sean Connery pic thing I will not do again in a thread. Yesterday, I was caught up on the excitement of my birthday and the attention I was getting. After that day was done and after a long night sleep, I realize the Sean Connery idea was the most random and rather stupid action (I think) I did online.

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)

--------@%

The Massassi JO/JA Single Player contest info
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-06-22, 6:23 AM #17
I got one for my 21st back in March. (PC Laptop)

His name is Geoff!

(and i've dressed up the desktop to emulate the mac's prettiness, but works like windows and runs the software i need for engineering!)

------------------
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.
2004-06-22, 1:56 PM #18
...And now I'm posting off of a mates mac laptop - this one's calld Charlemagne!

Oh wine and vodka and beer is good when accompanied by good music,,,,!

[http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.
2004-06-22, 3:39 PM #19
Mac...laptop. They're the best computers Apple produces, so I suppose I can't kill you for getting it. Games you CAN play--WC3, SC, UT2k3, UT2k4...and that's about it. You know what's sad? Now even Linux has better game compatibility (WineX). Don't get VirtualPC if you plan to play games. Trust me.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-06-22, 3:41 PM #20
http://ajthau.com/macssuck.wmv

------------------

"Bantha's are filthy animals.......I don't eat filthy animals."

"Laugh it up Fuzzball!"
-Han Solo
2004-06-22, 4:03 PM #21
Games for MAC: www.ambrosiasw.com may be Shareware, but some of the best damned games i've found. The Escape Velocity series is just pure awesomeness.

------------------
"No good can ever come from staying with normal people"
-Outlaw Star
"Some people play tennis. I erode the human soul"
-Tycho, Penny Arcade
"I'm a Cannabal-Vegitarian. I will BBQ an employee if there is no veggie option"
-DX:IW
A Knight's Tail
Exile: A Tale of Light in Dark
The Never Ending Story²[/i]
A Knight's Tail
Exile: A Tale of Light in Dark
The Never Ending Story²
"I consume the life essence itself!... Preferably medium rare" - Mauldis

-----@%
2004-06-22, 4:16 PM #22
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Noble Outlaw:
Games for MAC: www.ambrosiasw.com may be Shareware, but some of the best damned games i've found. The Escape Velocity series is just pure awesomeness.

</font>

Truth

------------------
</sarcasm>
</sarcasm>
<Anovis> mmmm I wanna lick your wet, Mentis.
2004-06-22, 4:28 PM #23
What model did you get Echoman? I've been lusting after one for awhile now, but I need a new desktop PC before I can really consider getting one of those.

Now for a quick ancedote. I have a roughly 10 year old Powerbook 109CS sitting in my bedroom. OS7 I think might be 6 I can never remember. 33 Mhz processor, rediculously small screen compared to what you can get now on even the smallest laptops. Anyway. It was handed down to me at the beginning of the last school year by my mom who had used it up. Actually, she'd used it up about 4 years prior, it'd been sitting in a corner. That little computer has Photoshop 3 on it, has a VERY VERY early version of Freehand (before Macromedia made it), it has Word and Excel, it has a few games (I managed to get a Marathon: Infinity demo on it awhile back. Good times.). I carted that thing to school with me god knows how many times. And I needed it too. I'd use it afterschool when I went to talk with a teacher about a paper and having a copy right there to work on was best. I took it for my Tech Theater class in which we did nothing and play games. I took it for my Study Hall and worked on stuff there. That little machine saved my *** I don't know how many times at midnight when I remembered some assignment I'd forgotten that could be typed and printed in the morning. I LOVE that little computer. I have a PC labtop that's approximately the same age and it's falling apart. I have keys on it that don't work anymore for whatever reason. But that Powerbook, aside from it's age and a few minor hardware problems associated with it (The battery can't hold a charge, it'll only run for about 5 minutes on a full battery. The trackpad is iffy alot of the time, though I suspect that's a technology isue that has improved over time.), is in excellent condition and always performs well. Anyways, I love my Powerbook. It's been an excellent computer. I hope yours does the same.

------------------
Frogblast the Vent Core!

--End of Line--
Last Stand
2004-06-22, 4:34 PM #24
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
Mac...laptop. They're the best computers Apple produces, so I suppose I can't kill you for getting it. Games you CAN play--WC3, SC, UT2k3, UT2k4...and that's about it. You know what's sad? Now even Linux has better game compatibility (WineX). Don't get VirtualPC if you plan to play games. Trust me.

</font>

You can add JO/JA and Halo to that list as well, but those are all games that aren't exactly great. JO/JA were never particually good. If you want to kill time, they're fine, but for an involving game? No. Halo for different reasons. I think the PC port lost much of the charm the XBox version has. I've heard the Mac port of the PC version is MUCH better and that Macsoft (I think it's them) cleaned up much of Gearsoft's coding.

As was mentioned, Ambrosia is a must for games. Escape Velocity is pure gold. They've been making that series FOREVER. Literally. I remember playing a version back when I was 5 on our old 66AV Mac. I spent many hours doing that. Malestrom was good too.

I forgot to mention it earlier, but when this thread dies, if you need help you can mail me at IanSechler@netscape.net. I'll help as best I can. If I can't answer it I'll see if my dad might know, he's the bigger Apple user of the house.

------------------
Frogblast the Vent Core!

--End of Line--
Last Stand
2004-06-22, 4:41 PM #25
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Trigger Happy Chewie:
http://ajthau.com/macssuck.wmv</font>

<3!!!

------------------

↑ Up to the top!