Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → BluRay?
BluRay?
2006-06-02, 9:30 PM #1
I just heard a movie comercial. It said this

"Own it now on dvd... And coming soon to bluray"

So i guess this means bluray won't be another batamax?
2006-06-02, 9:32 PM #2
Originally posted by Tiberium_Empire:
I just heard a movie comercial. It said this

"Own it now on dvd... And coming soon to bluray"

So i guess this means bluray won't be another batamax?

Beta was actually quite widespread before VHS, if I recall. It's not that they didn't have a market share, they just had it taken away from them.
2006-06-02, 9:32 PM #3
No, because blu-ray is an optical storage format utilizing a short-wavelenght laser to read pits in a spinning disk, and betamax is a magnetic tape similar to VHS.

(it's too early to tell)

EDIT: I'm replying to imsoshort, not Kuat
Stuff
2006-06-02, 9:43 PM #4
So... is it better than DVD?

-Cause my mom just got a really expensive DVD player (a Bosse surround 1-2-3 media center thingy) and a Panasonic HDTV (46-inches, *****es!) and spent a great deal of money on them and if they're already completely and utterly obsolete, there will be pain.
2006-06-02, 9:44 PM #5
No one knows what will happen between Blu-Ray and HD-DVD, but there's speculation on both sides. I personally believe Blu-Ray will make it.
D E A T H
2006-06-02, 9:45 PM #6
Originally posted by bearded_jarl:

-Cause my mom just got a really expensive DVD player (a Bosse surround 1-2-3 media center thingy) and a Panasonic HDTV (46-inches, *****es!) and spent a great deal of money on them and if they're already completely and utterly obsolete, there will be pain.

It won't be obsolete, but if you have a 1080p HDTV I'd suggest returning the DVD player (if it was over 400 bucks) and waiting for the Blu-Ray or HD-DVD premiums to drop to normal levels (depending on which one wins the war).
D E A T H
2006-06-02, 9:47 PM #7
Could be neither, though. Remember back when it was SACD and DVD-A? It was the huge format war of the day, "the next Betamax vs. VHS". But neither ever caught on.

So it's entirely possible that movie downloads might become much more mainstream instead of there being actual physical media. Like what iTunes (and, yes, illegal downloading) did with music.

And then there's WMV. I've had a HD version of "Terminator 2" on DVD since 2003.

Seriously, all I want is Serenity on HD-DVD because that would be awesome.
Stuff
2006-06-02, 9:49 PM #8

Mines a 52 inch HDTV

Eat that *****
2006-06-02, 9:52 PM #9

Ewww Bose surround. I hate Bose with a passion, their sound is alwys crap :(
2006-06-02, 9:56 PM #10
Originally posted by Tiberium_Empire:
Mines a 52 inch HDTV

Eat that *****

YAH?
WEHL MY PEH-PEH IS OVER FOUR FEET IN LENGTH WITH A GIRTH OF A FOOT AND A HALF!

-TISH MEANS I EM TEH VERY IMPOTANT PRESON IN T3H WOLRD!
2006-06-02, 9:59 PM #11
Ah, an e-penis measuring contest regarding television sizes. Fascinating. Seriously though guys, mine is 57" and that wasn't even on the cutting edge of "big" when my family got it back in 2001.
Stuff
2006-06-02, 9:59 PM #12
YAH?

:ninja: :ninja:
2006-06-02, 10:03 PM #13
Originally posted by kyle90:
Ah, an e-penis measuring contest regarding television sizes. Fascinating. Seriously though guys, mine is 57" and that wasn't even on the cutting edge of "big" when my family got it back in 2001.

Your family bought you a penis in 2001?

-Weak.
2006-06-02, 10:05 PM #14
YAH?

No, that would make you a freak who passes out when ever he gets a boner.
Pissed Off?
2006-06-02, 10:07 PM #15
Note the clever mispelling of "important" leading to it more closely resembling "Impotent".

-I only set out to make myself look like a moron. I never planned on making myself look sterile, too.
2006-06-02, 10:18 PM #16
Could be neither, though. Remember back when it was SACD and DVD-A? It was the huge format war of the day, "the next Betamax vs. VHS". But neither ever caught on.

So it's entirely possible that movie downloads might become much more mainstream instead of there being actual physical media. Like what iTunes (and, yes, illegal downloading) did with music.

And then there's WMV. I've had a HD version of "Terminator 2" on DVD since 2003.

Seriously, all I want is Serenity on HD-DVD because that would be awesome.

That's different though. SACD and DVD-A were never really that well advertised, and there wasn't THIS much publicity for the war. HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are much needed progressive steps, if not for the movie industry then for the computer industry. As harddrives get bigger and bigger optical media needs to get bigger and bigger to accomodate the backups and file sizes of everything on computers. In a couple years you'll start to see multi-DVD games and people complaining about how others can't just buy Blu-Ray/HD-DVD drives.
D E A T H
2006-06-03, 5:12 AM #17
All your HDTVs tremble in fear of my variable-inch-length-device (also known as my beamer).
Sorry for the lousy German
2006-06-03, 5:15 AM #18
Ah, the member I'm thinking of is BLUEJAY. Aha.
Magrucko Daines and the Crypt of Crola (2007)
Magrucko Daines and the Dark Youth (2010)
Magrucko Daines and the Vertical City (2016)
2006-06-03, 8:19 AM #19
My 20 inch monitor has way more pixels than your craptacular HDTVs. Also, in a fair world, bigger would be cheaper because the pixels can be larger and easier to make.
2006-06-03, 9:10 AM #20
Oh Obi, you are quite a stud!
Magrucko Daines and the Crypt of Crola (2007)
Magrucko Daines and the Dark Youth (2010)
Magrucko Daines and the Vertical City (2016)
2006-06-03, 9:13 AM #21
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
My 20 inch monitor has way more pixels than your craptacular HDTVs. Also, in a fair world, bigger would be cheaper because the pixels can be larger and easier to make.

Errm, not really. Unless you somehow have a resolution higher than 1600*1200 (which is what pretty much every 20" monitor I've seen has), that's less than full HD resolution of 1920*1080.
Stuff
2006-06-03, 9:24 AM #22
My 19" has 2048x**** :D
2006-06-03, 9:28 AM #23
Oh yikes. That's big.

Okay never mind then.
Stuff
2006-06-03, 9:56 AM #24
Errm, not really. Unless you somehow have a resolution higher than 1600*1200 (which is what pretty much every 20" monitor I've seen has), that's less than full HD resolution of 1920*1080.

Then you must be one of the lucky .001% of HD TV owners that actually own a 1080p capable display. Darn you. Is it a 37inch Westinghouse?
2006-06-03, 10:02 AM #25
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
Then you must be one of the lucky .001% of HD TV owners that actually own a 1080p capable display. Darn you. Is it a 37inch Westinghouse?

Actually 1080p HDTVs are quite popular nowadays... They weren't a few years ago, but they are now.
D E A T H
2006-06-04, 3:11 PM #26
i think that the blu-ray vs. hdhdvd will not be as big as an effect as beta vs. vhs. because there are already prototypes of even higher capacity formats such as the holographic discs. I think that the PS3 that i will eventualy buy will be enough for me to last unltil the next format war.
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2006-06-04, 3:21 PM #27
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]Actually 1080p HDTVs are quite popular nowadays... They weren't a few years ago, but they are now.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, HDTVs in general aren't popular yet.

Not enough to make a significant impact in the market, that is.

Japan has really been the leader in that area though, and they have just settled into HDTVs. So it'll be only a couple more years before it's really everywhere.

↑ Up to the top!