Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Cut if off?
Cut if off?
2006-06-04, 7:08 PM #1
Ok here is the thing. I'm throwing this all out over the place forums friends family. I'm trying to get all the imput possible, so be serious please :P

I was born with (Not even going to try to spell this huge medical term). In otherwords, I was born with a messed up Tibia bone. My leg was bowed. At age 8, I went in for what was to be a simple leg straightening procedure. That turned into a 4 year nightmare.

Now, more than a decade later I'm left with a leg. I weak leg. I can't do anything phyiscal .. my leg would snap in half. There is little muscle, and the bone is extremely weak in two spots.

I *HAVE* a brace. I can do some things. The problem is.. It's a PITA. My leg is still weak, it can take the abuse but I have no power in that leg. I can barely jump on one foot with it. In fact, to recenly, I couldn't.

Background story over, hopefully it wasn't too long.

Here is the question: I'm rethinking my life and I want to get alot more physically fit and do more things. I've been working on the rest of my body but I feel so limited because of my leg. I can't go running alot or anything like that. It has nothing to do with pushing myself to the limit, I just CAN'T. My leg won't take it.

I'm thinking of cutting it off and getting one of those nifty fake legs.
It was a serious option at numerious poinst of time through my countless surgeries. I was aware that I would be limited to what I could do later on in life for keeping my leg, but I wanted to keep the bloody thing.

I feel there is so much more I could do if I got just went with a fake leg.

I've tried doing some research and I can't really find much info.
So I'm trying to ask everyone ... what would you do in my position? Do you think the idea is crazy?
Basically, did I just start thinking some stupid idea and am getting stuck with it for a while?
2006-06-04, 7:19 PM #2
This should be like getting a tatto (should be) IMO. Think about it for a LONG time.

However, I would probably do it. There are people born with NO legs who live fulfilling lives because they have nothing to hold them back.

However, I wish you luck in whatever you do. Also, I expect pirate pictures if you do it.
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2006-06-04, 7:19 PM #3
Dude I don't know. You can't get it put back on... And I wouldn't trust advice from me anyway.
>>untie shoes
2006-06-04, 7:19 PM #4
If you had an artificial limb, would that not limit you further?

Edit: WTH, my sig-smiley is broken! :eek:
woot!
2006-06-04, 7:19 PM #5
Your femur isn't messed up is it? How far below the knee would the amputation be? If you were just getting a prosthetic shin and foot, then it sounds like a fairly good option.
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2006-06-04, 7:21 PM #6
I think the technology for fake legs is pretty advanced. It might be a good idea.

(You could always get automail!)
2006-06-04, 7:28 PM #7
Prosthetic legs will get better over time. From the sounds of it your leg won't?
2006-06-04, 7:32 PM #8
Oh something I should prolly add that might have factored into me thinking about this.

I'm sitting on thousands of medical bill debt. (A little over 5). (FYI this procedure would not come out of my pocket so that wouldn't top this off).

After being recovered, I'm thinking I can do more/work more to get rid of this. After rent and all those fun bills of life you NEED I don't have much to throw around for fun. Actually, very little. IE I can't really have fun because that little amount is going to those bills.

I'm working at the Depot now full time, and their benefits are helping me a ton. I want to get another job, but it would be something that would be more more painful/stressing/hard because of my leg.
2006-06-04, 7:33 PM #9
If you *really* feel like your leg is decreasing your quality of life then you should speak to your doctor as they might be able to suggest something else to help you (plates, exercises etc). If you really can't see anyway to improve things without the amputation then I would probably look into getting it done. Be aware that this is not something you can just ask to have done (obviously), expect them to test you repeatedly, both physically and psychologically before they let you do it. I'm not sure how helpful that was, but I hope it turns out ok for you.
2006-06-04, 7:33 PM #10
Originally posted by Bobbert:
Your femur isn't messed up is it? How far below the knee would the amputation be? If you were just getting a prosthetic shin and foot, then it sounds like a fairly good option.

I tend to agree. The prosthetics they have now, especially for the lower leg, are pretty flexible in what they can do. Just realize how much money it will cost, the time you'll need in PT to learn to use it effectively, and any future complications that can result (infection to the amputation site?). I think it's a viable option if you've worked out all the details, but you'll have to make the decision for yourself.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2006-06-04, 7:35 PM #11
I would ask a doctor and inquire about the latest technology in prosthetic legs. If they can improve the performance of your leg, then it might be better to get one. If not, I'd stick with the bad leg. It is a major life changing decision so it's not something you should take lightly.
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2006-06-04, 7:37 PM #12
Originally posted by Bobbert:

The tibia is in the lower leg. Everything below the knee cap would be hacked off.

I must say, this is the first time I've read/heard about someone willing to have a limb amputated.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-06-04, 7:38 PM #13
Um, this is really not the place. Ask a doctor.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2006-06-04, 7:39 PM #14
Yes, it's just my lower leg. The knee and above are good. And as some have sad, the lower leg stuff is pretty damn advanced and good now. This is a factor that was extremely revelant to me even begining to think of it.
2006-06-04, 7:45 PM #15
I've also considered this. The technology of prosthetics is amazingly good. I've met several people as a means to "study" what an amputation would mean. In the end, it wasn't feasable for me because I CAN strengthen my legs, and because my back being fused would limit my walking ability just as much, so it's more detrimental than it is helpful.

In your case, however, it seems like it'd be the best thing. I'd personally suggest you do it, simply knowing what I know about amputation patients, and what I've seen. You'd be able to run.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-06-04, 7:57 PM #16
I've heard those prosthetic legs, especially a good one, can cost quite a bit, and you mentioned you're already under some medical debt at the moment. The one thing I don't under stand is how there isn't anything to help strengthen that leg. Plates or screws on the bone, nothing? I find that hard to believe. As far as the amputation goes, I would agree with everyone else here in telling you it's a good idea, but not one to act on any time soon. You just have to remember that with losing that leg, everything else goes with it: feeling, sense of pain, etc. I just think it might be harder to get used to than one would think.
<Lyme> I got Fight Club for 6.98 at walmart.
<Black_Bishop> I am Jack's low price guarantee
2006-06-04, 8:06 PM #17
Please tell me you're not going to any medical advice given here beyond 'ask your doctor' seriously.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2006-06-04, 8:40 PM #18
Originally posted by Tracer:
Please tell me you're not going to any medical advice given here beyond 'ask your doctor' seriously.

Agreed.

This is a forum, you can get people's advice here, but please don't make that your reason for choosing whatever you do.
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2006-06-04, 8:40 PM #19
Like I posted on the other thread, I have dyspraxia with a side dish of hypotonia, so I know full well what it's like to live in a body that can't do what you want it to.

This leg, while damaged, is still a part of you and losing it may make you feel less than complete some time down the road, plus once that leg is gone you're going to be dependant on that prothesis.

I've heard about people with severe fractures having the bone removed and having it replaced with steel rods that are bolted onto normal bone. This way, you don't lose the muscle tissue and you can still walk fairly normally after it heals. I would check this out.

Also, I'd get rid of the debt before you think about doing something about this. Why burden yourself with more debt right now when there's no medical emergency that requires such action?
2006-06-04, 9:23 PM #20
Okay, I may be one of the most qualified to talk on here about such a matter, since my leg is in a similar condition.

My left leg is swollen with large overgrowth of the lymph system. It is intertwined with my muscle greatly, which severely limits what I can do with it.

I also have problems where it gets infected often, making me really sick, and it can be quite an annoyance.

In my freshman year of HS , one of my doctors proposed the idea of amputation. That year had been particularly hellish, as the lymph system was really failing my leg (causing me to be sick perpetually). I seriously considered having it amputated, and using a prosthetic leg.

Here's what I decided on: I wouldn't touch my leg until it no longer functioned as a leg.

Here's the reasonings:

A. There has to be a decision made on this point. When is it too limiting? My answer was it was too limiting when it no longer performed its intended function, allowing me to walk. Thankfully, I can walk fine (can't run worth crap though), and so I decided that until I cannot walk, I won't.
B. You can't reverse the decision.
C. It can be painful (I have talked with a few who use prosthetic legs. Phantom pains can really be bad sometimes. Phantom pains is where you feel pain in spots where your leg used to be)
D. It is HARD WORK. You have to go through a LOT of physical therapy, and be prepared for a short interruption of your life.
E. There are medical complications to be aware of.
F. It can be pricey.
G. You will still be limited, just in other ways.

I won't say that you should definately not do it, it is your decision. I am just relaying how I came up with my decision, and hopefully you can make a good sound choice based on this.
2006-06-05, 3:58 AM #21
Cut both of your legs off and replace it with a gyro-stabilised monowheel!
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2006-06-05, 6:32 AM #22
You have two options as I see it.
One, amputate the leg and replace it with a robotic prosthesis.
Two, weld adamantium to your tibia.
2006-06-05, 9:31 AM #23
A girl I know was in a four-wheeling accident a few years back and now has a prosthetic leg that begins above the knee. Still, she doesn't seem to be overly limited in what she does, which includes cheerleading and volleyball. However, if you are seriously considering this )and I see no reason to believe that you are not) then you should ask a doctor, or more than one, before making a decision.
"It is not advisable, James, to venture unsolicited opinions. You should spare yourself the embarrassing discovery of their exact value to your listener."
"Rationality is the recognition of the fact that nothing can alter the truth and nothing can take precedence over that act of perceiving it."
2006-06-05, 10:53 AM #24
Cyborg implants can be a risky procedure, certainly there's the allure of being "better, faster... stronger" like the Million Dollar Man, but then again you could eventually become more machine than man.

Keep the real leg somewhere safe and frozen as a trophy.

Finally, if you *do* go through with it and get a robot leg, be sure to install a rocket launcher.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2006-06-05, 11:03 AM #25
We are the Borg. You will be assimilated. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Resistance is Futile.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-06-05, 12:30 PM #26
GOOD prosthetics, especially those that can be used for anything other than making you look normal, epsecially those designed for repeated impact and sports, are among some of the most expensive things I've ever heard of.

Stop watching Ghost In The Shell, and start living in real life. Prosthetics, unless you're a freaking billionare or a pity case, are too expensive for a person to just opt out of a normal limb and have one replaced.

I've read things about grafting other materal to bone to strengthen it. Might see about that, it seems more practical.
2006-06-05, 12:40 PM #27
Easy, there, killer. Pull that long hard object out of your rear end.

And about the money issue....f you bothered to read my second post. Oh wait, you didn't. Because if you did I said this would not come out of my pocket.

Like I said, I've already tried everything else. I've had three grafts on my leg.
2006-06-05, 9:50 PM #28
I felt there is some good information to be learned from this thread thus I restored it.
2006-06-05, 10:12 PM #29
Originally posted by Rob:
GOOD prosthetics, especially those that can be used for anything other than making you look normal, epsecially those designed for repeated impact and sports, are among some of the most expensive things I've ever heard of.

Stop watching Ghost In The Shell, and start living in real life. Prosthetics, unless you're a freaking billionare or a pity case, are too expensive for a person to just opt out of a normal limb and have one replaced.

I've read things about grafting other materal to bone to strengthen it. Might see about that, it seems more practical.

Indeed. We don't live in the Deus Ex world quite yet, either. Prosthetics are quite good, but at this point in time they are still inferior to the original limb.
2006-06-06, 5:34 AM #30
I'm surprised more can't be done with your leg currently.

Reminded me of a documentary I saw a while ago about Barry Sheene. In 1982 he fell off a motorbike at 250km/h at Silverstone. It was an 8 hour operation to put his legs back together, the doctor who did the procedure said it was as though the bones had exploded. All up, he had "two seven-inch (17.7cm) buttresses of stainless steel, two five-inch (12.7cm) plates and 26 steel screws" holding his legs together. And was racing motorbikes again 8 months later.
2006-06-06, 5:44 AM #31
hey if you get it done, you can always play games for money with drunks.

like shin ro-sham-bo

you'd win everytime.
2006-06-06, 6:13 AM #32
if you decide to get it done you could try some sexual positions us guys with legs couldn't possibly attempt
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2006-06-06, 8:36 PM #33
[QUOTE=Squirrel King]Easy, there, killer. Pull that long hard object out of your rear end.

And about the money issue....f you bothered to read my second post. Oh wait, you didn't. Because if you did I said this would not come out of my pocket.

Like I said, I've already tried everything else. I've had three grafts on my leg.[/QUOTE]

I doubt anyone you know has the millions of dollars for an athletic grade prosthetic. And you aren't a war veteran.

I'll take the stick out of my *** when you remove the cotton from your ears.
2006-06-06, 8:41 PM #34
Originally posted by JediGandalf:
We are the Borg. You will be assimilated. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Resistance is Futile.

omg they've adapted to the :psyduck: waves!
2006-06-06, 8:44 PM #35
I'm actually impressed with cybornetics that have made progress over the past few years.

If it's nerve operated, you're going to be through a lot of pain and bloody rehab, but it'll be worth it.

I don't think you can do squats with it though at the gym.

↑ Up to the top!