Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Am I the only one lost?
Am I the only one lost?
2004-06-22, 4:57 PM #1
Am I the only one confused about not only the presidential election, but also things like the governor election? For instance, I don't even know the names of the two people running for governorship. All I know is one is Republican and one is Democrat. This got me thinking: shouldn't there be a site where it outlines what a candidate represents? And I don't mean things like "Improve our Economy". I want things like "This is how I would improve the economy yadda yadda yadda". Something like that would be useful for the presidential and state elections. Otherwise, I don't think anyone really knows what they are voting for, especially if there is no incumbent.

------------------
The sooner you realize I'm right the better off you will be.
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-06-22, 5:01 PM #2
Welcome to American politics.

------------------
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind.
:wq
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-06-22, 5:04 PM #3
With regards to the presidential election, the distinctions are clearly drawn for those that follow the issues, the candidates, and clearly know their own values.

However, for those who aren't at that stage yet there is very little in the way to aid someone in their decision.

Unfortunately I guess it just comes with a bit of age. One or two presidential elections from know you'll have it figured out.

------------------
Have you forgotten ...
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2004-06-22, 5:20 PM #4
Usually state-level political platforms are simplistic. They have what they want to accomplish, but they wait to formulate plans until after they have been elected.

Fun!

------------------
free mp3 ~Jump - Young America

new album Between the Dim and the Dark available now
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2004-06-22, 6:06 PM #5
Wookie, outside of Iraq, gay marriage, and minimum wages the candidates haven't gone into detail about anything. It's always "I'm better at this this and this. The other guy has the wrong plan".

------------------
The sooner you realize I'm right the better off you will be.
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-06-22, 6:22 PM #6
I've voted in EVERY election from 2000 to present. State and local government elections you really do have to research the candidates out. Some might post flyers or what not but to really get what the candidate is preaching, you have to dig. Inherently this is not the way it's supposed to be. The politician ANNOUNCES its platform to the electorate instead of the electorate having to research them.

This is how we get lifetime politicians. The n00b politician gets elected to Congress, does seemingly well (doesn't piss off consituency), and runs for reelection. The opponent is either a) not present b) really unknown. The incumbent gets to make their claims to fame. And 85% of the time they are reelected through about 4 presidencies.

As GBK said, welcome to American politics.

------------------
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-06-22, 6:29 PM #7
The Canadian federal election is coming up, and I'm trying something different - I'm voting based on who I think will do the best job for my riding, not Harper vs. Martin.

------------------
"Look at me! I'm Tracer! BLAHBLAHBLAH!"

-MBeggar
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-06-22, 6:33 PM #8
yeah, but deep down, it really is just about harper vs martin. The NDP will never get enough votes, and the bloc can't get in office.

------------------
WAITER: Here’s your green salad, sir.
ANAKIN: What? You fool, I told you NO CROUTONS! Aaaaaaargh!
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-06-22, 6:38 PM #9
Usually when it comes to state election, whatever infomation you need on the canidates is usually placed on the ballet. Just go by what their bio's says and make a decision from that. With Presidential elections, usually it is best just to vote for the candiate of your party. Someone people may say "you should vote for who you think will do the job right" but I ignore that because you should vote for someone who shares you BELIEFS, not the guy you think will do a good job. That may seem wrong by some of you but really... would you vote for someone that supports issues that you DON'T accept? That seems illogical to me, doesn't it to you?

-- SavageX

------------------
"...and if you don't like that, then you need to be slugged in the face repeatedly, until my hands are soaked in blood. Have a nice day!"
http://geocities.com/savagex378
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!

↑ Up to the top!