Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Listerine helpful?
Listerine helpful?
2006-06-07, 9:19 AM #1
After I wake up in the morning, sometimes I use Listerine after brusing, especially if I have really bad breath. The bottle also claims that it kills germs that contribute to gum disease and plaque, so those should be benefits I guess. I also floss too.

Recently, I went to a new dentist that I never met with before. She claims that my use of Listerine does not help me. In fact, she says that, because it dries out my mouth (due to the alcohol content) it brings in a lot more harmful germs. So, it was said that I should stop using the product.

Do any of you have dentists that are strictly opposed to Listerine? Does this mouthwash help or have I been wasting my time?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-06-07, 9:19 AM #2
My God, you've found the fabled "fifth dentist"
Stuff
2006-06-07, 9:22 AM #3
In theory, it should help, but I've never asked my dentist. I was just there a couple of days ago too, so I won't remember when I go back 6 months from now.

Of course, if you consider a typical dentist visit, they scrape any plaque off, floss, and polish your teeth (brush). My dentist doesn't give me any mouthwash. They do give me a toothbrush and tell me to floss. :)
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2006-06-07, 9:31 AM #4
Originally posted by kyle90:
My God, you've found the fabled "fifth dentist"

Kyle wins.

Try Dentyl PH. It's alcohol free and rawks.
<spe> maevie - proving dykes can't fly

<Dor> You're levelling up and gaining more polys!
2006-06-07, 9:34 AM #5
Originally posted by maevie:
Kyle wins.

4 of 5 Maeves disagree.
omnia mea mecum porto
2006-06-07, 10:28 AM #6
I use Tom's of Maine toothpaste, which is some kind of all-natural stuff that tastes like crap. I have to use it because it's SLS-free, if I use regular toothpaste and bite my cheek, I almost always get a cankersore.

Anyway, because it's all natural and whatnot, it doesn't do jack when it comes to taking care of really bad breath. If it weren't for Listerine I don't think I could bring myself to talk to people face to face.
2006-06-07, 11:28 AM #7
I often get cankersores when I bite my cheek. Someone said that it's because of SLS (whatever that is)? Tell me more.

Brush your tongue = reduced bad breath!
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2006-06-07, 11:39 AM #8
She's right. The alcohol can dry your mouth out, and the dryer your mouth is, the worse your breath. The bacteria that cause bad breath are anaerobic, they are killed by oxygen. A dry mouth is ideal for them, because saliva has a high enough oxygen content that it usually keeps them from growing.

It will depend on the person...if the alcohol doesn't dry your mouth at all, then there's probably no problem.

There are plenty of alcohol free mouthwashes. You could even rinse with peroxide or something.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-06-07, 11:54 AM #9
I ate a whole pack of Listerine breath strips once.

I couldn't taste for a week.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2006-06-07, 11:58 AM #10
Originally posted by Lord_Grismath:
I ate a whole pack of Listerine breath strips once.

I couldn't taste for a week.

That's nothing. When those things came out, 3 or 4 years ago they gave us all free packs in high school (maybe they were implying something about our breath), anyway I put 4 whole packs in my mouth at the same time. That was god damned painful, it seriously hurt.
2006-06-07, 12:06 PM #11
...and your breath is still minty fresh to this day. :)
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2006-06-07, 1:20 PM #12
Originally posted by Chewbubba:
I often get cankersores when I bite my cheek. Someone said that it's because of SLS (whatever that is)? Tell me more.

PM'd you so I wouldn't derail the thread.
2006-06-07, 2:26 PM #13
Originally posted by maevie:
Kyle wins.

Try Dentyl PH. It's alcohol free and rawks.

Nope, you win because Dentyl wins. :P

Also yay for tounge brushing - it's amazing the amount of kak that you can scrape off it (especially after a night on the toon)
2006-06-07, 2:31 PM #14
Originally posted by Chewbubba:

That it does. I use Listerine and it works really well. Just give a quick rinse with water after to help get the saliva flowing again.
Pissed Off?
2006-06-07, 3:34 PM #15
I never tried any alcohol-free mouthwashes.

I bet that I won't trust them at first because there is no burning to show that it works. At first, of course.
2006-06-07, 4:07 PM #16
This thread reminded me of a mildly funny story. Once when discussing alcohol consumption, I mentioned that I don't ever drink. A mate of mine piped up with "What about mouthwash, you drink that and that has alcohol in it", to which I responded "Um, no I don't drink mouthwash, what with the point being to spit it out and all". Turns out for years he was under the impression that you were supposed to be swallowing the stuff, I would have thought that the burning would have given it away.

But on to the topic of the thread, I use listerine and just rinse my mouth out with water and it doesn't seem to dry out.
2006-06-07, 4:13 PM #17
He must have been a bright one. :P
Pissed Off?
2006-06-07, 4:14 PM #18
Every time I use listerine millions of germs cry out in terror and are suddenly silenced

p.s. I may be shot in the face now
2006-06-07, 6:14 PM #19
Originally posted by Rerun:
This thread reminded me of a mildly funny story. Once when discussing alcohol consumption, I mentioned that I don't ever drink. A mate of mine piped up with "What about mouthwash, you drink that and that has alcohol in it", to which I responded "Um, no I don't drink mouthwash, what with the point being to spit it out and all". Turns out for years he was under the impression that you were supposed to be swallowing the stuff, I would have thought that the burning would have given it away.

Wait, so, under this impression, he uses mouthwash?
2006-06-07, 6:36 PM #20
This was a few years ago but yup. He used it like you normally would and then instead of spitting it out, swallowed it.
2006-06-07, 6:37 PM #21
:eek:
2006-06-07, 10:04 PM #22
the cleanest stomach ever
"NAILFACE" - spe
2006-06-08, 8:34 AM #23
Originally posted by Rerun:
This was a few years ago but yup. He used it like you normally would and then instead of spitting it out, swallowed it.

I guess he missed all the labels on the bottles that said "DON'T SWALLOW THIS".
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2006-06-08, 8:37 AM #24
Listerine is for before you brush.

Not after.
2006-06-08, 8:39 AM #25
My uncle was undergoing some sort of operation and they wouldn't let him drink anything for a long period of time. Apparently, he got so thirsty while they kept him in his room that he opened a cabinet and drank the listerine. X_x
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2006-06-08, 10:31 AM #26
Originally posted by Roach:
4 of 5 Maeves disagree.

With each other.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2006-06-08, 10:42 AM #27
Yellow Listerine is the most common correctly identified substance in most taste-testing contests.

Also, it smells like rum. I came home drunk off rum once and my brother looked at me and said "You smell like listerine."
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2006-06-08, 12:49 PM #28
Originally posted by Wolfy:
I guess he missed all the labels on the bottles that said "DON'T SWALLOW THIS".

When did people actually read warning labels?
2006-06-08, 1:10 PM #29
when there's no newspaper to read in the bathroom
"NAILFACE" - spe
2006-06-08, 1:18 PM #30
if you want to get rid of bad breath, brush your tongue. most of the bacteria lives there, oh and floss. and then after all that if you want use listerine
2006-06-08, 2:54 PM #31
Do any of you have dentists that are strictly opposed to Listerine? Does this mouthwash help or have I been wasting my time?

My dentist said that listerine and other mouth washes actually work quite well. It's a certified product and yes, it does kill bacteria. (if it stings...usually it works)

He was careful to not ethat listerine should never take the place of flossing... I really wish it did.

I was just at the dentist 3 weeks ago because a lack of flossing... just one tooth ya know.. thats all it takes for mountains of pain and bills.
2006-06-08, 3:07 PM #32
Originally posted by Rob:
Listerine is for before you brush.

Not after.

Er. No, that's Plax.

Also, the alcohol in Listerine isn't what kills most of the bacteria...at 30% it's not that much of a disinfectant. It's main purpose is to act as a solvent for the other ingredients that DO kill the bacteria. That's why it's listed as an inactive ingredient on the bottle.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-06-09, 4:58 AM #33
Originally posted by Seb:
when there's no newspaper to read in the bathroom

That's actually very true.

↑ Up to the top!