Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Threaded mode
Threaded mode
2006-06-07, 7:10 PM #1
Have you guys ever seen or used threaded mode? You can do it by changing your display options to "threaded". It's really cool but it needs some work. I'm going to work on making it more like the comments system at shacknews.com

Hopefully I can make an entire alternate forum view that more resembles their setup (at shacknews) because it's really slick.
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[
2006-06-07, 7:15 PM #2
Are you Osiris?
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2006-06-07, 7:17 PM #3
i think it looks ugly as sin
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2006-06-07, 7:17 PM #4
yes i am osiris
2006-06-07, 7:18 PM #5
a typical reaction, but the usefulness, the usefulness!!!! If i can get it to display all of the threads in this form at once on a single page, you could browse the entire forums on a single page!
2006-06-07, 7:20 PM #6
Wow, I had no idea there were all these options in the cp. You can actually make the forums display the correct time on all posts. But I guess everybody knew that like six years ago or something.

Also, I was screwing around with the options and now I have this quick reply box at the bottom of each thread. How do I get rid of that?
sdfsad
asdfsadf
asdf
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2006-06-07, 7:21 PM #7
*Reads thread, changes profile, clicks main forum button*
Huh, doesn't look any different...
*Clicks "Discussion Forum"*
It's not that bad... actually, it's exactly the same... weird...
*Clicks this thread*
AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!! BAD VIEW! BAD FORUM!

-*landfish*
2006-06-07, 7:22 PM #8
Eewww. I don't like threaded mode.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-06-07, 7:26 PM #9
i'm still working on making it less ugly
2006-06-07, 7:26 PM #10
threaded mode sucks
2006-06-07, 7:27 PM #11
I hate threaded mode. And when was this quick reply thing added?
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2006-06-07, 7:27 PM #12
It's not the aesthetics, it's just plain a bad way to present information.

-Maybe if it had, like, a little preview of the post under the title name (like when you search for posts), or if you could just click on a post and the post would, like, unfold like a menu right under it without the page changing.
2006-06-07, 7:29 PM #13
Wham! QUICK REPLIED! Any how i think its uglier and more annoying then "Guestameted"
2006-06-07, 7:30 PM #14
so youre saying if the post popped up when you hovered over it? i can look into that.
2006-06-07, 7:31 PM #15
Reminds me of IMDB.

In other words, a cesspool of retarded chimpanzees.

Also: Hybrid mode is slightly better
2006-06-07, 7:31 PM #16
Originally posted by bearded_jarl:
*Reads thread, changes profile, clicks main forum button*
Huh, doesn't look any different...
*Clicks "Discussion Forum"*
It's not that bad... actually, it's exactly the same... weird...
*Clicks this thread*
AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!! BAD VIEW! BAD FORUM!

-*landfish*

when did i get involved in this?
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2006-06-07, 7:33 PM #17
it doesnt work very well right now because people just reply to any given post instead of replying by subject matter
2006-06-07, 8:09 PM #18
So, instead of easily scrolling through the thread you have to click on each post individually? That's just lame.
2006-06-07, 8:11 PM #19
Threaded mode confuses me. I like the quote system much better than actually replying to individual posts like each thread is a seperate forum, and each post a thread. egh. What a nightmare.
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2006-06-07, 8:31 PM #20
I never could, and I never will be able to stand threaded view. It ruins the whole concept of an ongoing discussion.
2006-06-07, 8:47 PM #21
Originally posted by 7:
when did i get involved in this?

Threaded mode was so hideous I 'sploded.

-But yeah, rollovers making posts appear might make it better. Not insta-appear, because if you're just moving your mouse over the post, it would be annoying, but, like, a three second delay or something. Or make the delay cusomizable.
2006-06-07, 9:26 PM #22
Threaded.

Mode.

Is.

Ugly.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2006-06-08, 1:41 AM #23
I once visited one forum that had enabled the threaded mode as a default between the times I visited the place, and I seriously thought the forums had either broken down or made it so that only registered members could actually really read the forums. Fortunately I finally noticed the option.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2006-06-08, 1:56 AM #24
threaded mode sucks because all the people who use flat mode don't bother to respond to the proper post. Also, the view is in a tiny little window which sucks.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-06-08, 2:15 AM #25
In flat mode you don't get a frikking choice as to who you reply to unless it's with a quote.
Until now, when you have to choose in order to quick reply.

-At least... I don't think you had a choice before...
2006-06-08, 2:20 AM #26
Yikes, threaded is pretty damn annoying. Though useful, in some cases....I will never use it though. :\
2006-06-08, 2:21 AM #27
It makes Baby Zombie Jesus cry.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2006-06-08, 2:46 AM #28
What gave it away?
"Well ain't that a merry jelly." - FastGamerr

"You can actually see the waves of me not caring in the air." - fishstickz
2006-06-08, 4:11 AM #29
Threading on forums is like reading newsgroups flat.
The two things have their uses in their environment.
Sorry for the lousy German
2006-06-08, 5:54 AM #30
threaded mode sucks. It takes 20 times longer to read a thread... and all the posts are out of order.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2006-06-08, 6:26 AM #31
Threaded mode is useful when all participants in the discussion know how to use it properly. We had an online component for a philosophy course I took last year, and while the threaded discussion could have been extremely useful to keep the discussion in order, it was used improperly like 70% of the time... making things substantially worse.

And yes, any similarity to the IMDB boards is dubiously beneficial.
2006-06-08, 7:14 AM #32
Meh, i guess ill try it. The Hybrid mode is a little less confusing
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2006-06-08, 10:29 AM #33
Quick reply (/threaded functionality) makes everything really confusing whenever someone posts on more than one subject or adds a little blurb at the end
一个大西瓜
2006-06-08, 2:14 PM #34
this is what i hate the most about the thread system /. uses, you can't see the witty posts, you MIGHT get to see a large and highly informative one every so often, but for the majority of replies it is too damn confusing to get to see the whole reply tree. Threaded views waste bandwith, would you rather view each page and have 30-40 posts there, or have to load a page for every damn reply?

i just noticed the minimize quick reply button, yay
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2006-06-08, 2:38 PM #35
quick reply would be alright if it actually let you reply without clicking a post first.

Cant it just be set to the last post unless you click one?
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2006-06-08, 2:54 PM #36
Threaded mode = ewwww
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"