Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Abu Musab al-Zarkawi killed.
Abu Musab al-Zarkawi killed.
2006-06-08, 1:22 AM #1
Finally. :ninja:

I find it retarded that US troops captured him in late 2004 but released him because they didn't recognize him.

Anyways, I hope this is a big morale booster for the soldiers there, and just the opposite for insurgents.
2006-06-08, 1:26 AM #2
Awesome.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-06-08, 1:28 AM #3
Didn't RTFA but woo (I think)
2006-06-08, 1:31 AM #4
Originally posted by Delphian:
I find it retarded that US troops captured him in late 2004 but released him because they didn't recognize him.

Yeah, it's not like it's hard to recognize one bearded dark man in Iraq over all the others...

Anyway, I'm glad to hear this, been getting news alerts constantly for the past few minutes about it.
omnia mea mecum porto
2006-06-08, 1:37 AM #5
holy **** randomly browsing massassi and you guys break that kind of news.

awesome!
2006-06-08, 7:51 AM #6
I don't see how this will help. I thought Saddam's capture was supposed to turn the tide. Or the liberation of Afghanistan and Iraq was supposed to turn the tide. Or tapping American international phone calls was supposed to turn the tide.

Terrorism is like a hydra. Killing one leader doesn't do anything. Eliminating the origin point of the ideology would. I have no idea how that would work though, so I guess... just keep killing them.
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2006-06-08, 7:55 AM #7
Originally posted by Schming:
I don't see how this will help. I thought Saddam's capture was supposed to turn the tide. Or the liberation of Afghanistan and Iraq was supposed to turn the tide. Or tapping American international phone calls was supposed to turn the tide.

Terrorism is like a hydra. Killing one leader doesn't do anything. Eliminating the origin point of the ideology would. I have no idea how that would work though, so I guess... just keep killing them.

A massive propaganda campaign in the vehicle of pro-democracy/capitalism/Westernism franchising? :rolleyes:
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2006-06-08, 7:57 AM #8
Zarkawi =
Attachment: 12328/toast.s.gif (2,372 bytes)
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2006-06-08, 8:00 AM #9
Didn't this sort of news errupt last year about one of Al'Qaida's leaders being killed during a bombing operation, and like a week later, it turned out he wasn't dead at all?
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-06-08, 8:00 AM #10
Tis good news indeed. Though I tend to agree that killing such leaders won't win the "War on Terror" there is no doubt it will make things a little more difficult for the insurgents.
www.dailyvault.com. - As Featured in Guitar Hero II!
2006-06-08, 8:19 AM #11
Another one bites the dust...
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2006-06-08, 8:22 AM #12
Originally posted by Jepman:
Didn't this sort of news errupt last year about one of Al'Qaida's leaders being killed during a bombing operation, and like a week later, it turned out he wasn't dead at all?

I think you referring to a missile strike on a house in Pakistan where Ayman Al-Zawahiri, a right-hand subordinate of Osama Bin Laden, was suspected to be. This case is different. The U.S. has the body of Zarqawi; his face is intact. They also had apparently very strong intel that directed them to launch the airstrike. One of the commanders was confident enough to say 100% credibility in the leads.

This isn't the end of the insurgency but definitely a great accomplishment. Zarqawi has been notorious for leading a brutal wave of bombings (suicidal and IED-based) and beheadings. He was also one of the principal foreign Al-Qaeda fighters who established its strong arm in Iraq. Definitely a day to be proud for the coalition forces.
2006-06-08, 8:46 AM #13

In order to stop terrorism, America and all its allies will need to retreat from every single country they're messing with in the Middle East. Stop 'enforcing democracy' (read: installing pro-American/western governments for cheap oil) and such. They would also need to get rid of all the existing corrupt, pro-western regimes in the area.

Then secondly they would have to set up fair trade with those countries to help eliminate poverty.

Taking the war to their doorstep is like multiplying the fanaticism and numbers of those terrorists, because it is considered as some sort of 'crusade'. It is highly insulting to a lot of those people that other countries are simply invading their country, and deciding for them that they need a regime change.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2006-06-08, 9:50 AM #14
The fact that you said we are going to war for oil makes me not want to read the rest of your post. I agree we should not set up western governments in countries that do not have the institution to support them, but saying we did so in Iraq for cheap oil is just ignorant.

2006-06-08, 9:55 AM #15
Originally posted by ORJ_JoS:
In order to stop terrorism, America and all its allies will need to retreat from every single country they're messing with in the Middle East. Stop 'enforcing democracy' (read: installing pro-American/western governments for cheap oil) and such. They would also need to get rid of all the existing corrupt, pro-western regimes in the area.

Then secondly they would have to set up fair trade with those countries to help eliminate poverty.

Taking the war to their doorstep is like multiplying the fanaticism and numbers of those terrorists, because it is considered as some sort of 'crusade'. It is highly insulting to a lot of those people that other countries are simply invading their country, and deciding for them that they need a regime change.

The Western world could leave the middle east alone, completely, and it wouldn't help.
Pissed Off?
2006-06-08, 10:00 AM #16
Originally posted by mscbuck:
The fact that you said we are going to war for oil makes me not want to read the rest of your post. I agree we should not set up western governments in countries that do not have the institution to support them, but saying we did so in Iraq for cheap oil is just ignorant.

Ignorant is not the word to use on ORJ_Jos. Instead, naive works much better for you. It's ridiculous to suggest that the U.S. would sit idley by while the world's oil supply dries up and do nothing to protect its power and influence. Trust me, whatever the original motive for going to war with Iraq, we are definitely benefitting logistically from our presence there.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-06-08, 10:16 AM #17
Originally posted by JDKNITE188:
I think you referring to a missile strike on a house in Pakistan where Ayman Al-Zawahiri, a right-hand subordinate of Osama Bin Laden, was suspected to be. This case is different. The U.S. has the body of Zarqawi; his face is intact. They also had apparently very strong intel that directed them to launch the airstrike. One of the commanders was confident enough to say 100% credibility in the leads.

This isn't the end of the insurgency but definitely a great accomplishment. Zarqawi has been notorious for leading a brutal wave of bombings (suicidal and IED-based) and beheadings. He was also one of the principal foreign Al-Qaeda fighters who established its strong arm in Iraq. Definitely a day to be proud for the coalition forces.

Yea that was it. *nods*
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-06-08, 10:59 AM #18
[Edit]Screw it, not going to argue econ[/edit]

2006-06-08, 5:14 PM #19

You should've, but you also have to remember that the US isn't exactly about creating a fair play environment where everyone is happy and loves each other.

The US policy makers take a realist approach to international affairs. They realize the US is the hegemon. They realize that the US needs to be the hegemon to enjoy economic security and unchallenged military/political power. Basically, it's good to be able to strong arm the rest of the world into doing things and then throw in some democratic catch-phrases to throw the light off of the corporate influence of decision-making.

I say if the US wants cheap oil and can deal with terrorism, DO IT.
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2006-06-08, 6:05 PM #20
If this thread gets next to the "Instant Justice" thread then I'm going to revive "When Topics Align"
Stuff
2006-06-08, 6:14 PM #21
What a politically convenient headshot.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-06-08, 6:46 PM #22
The US policy makers take a realist approach to international affairs.

Well, not quite. Bush's policy was unabashedly realist before 9/11, but since then it's far closer to what you'd call liberal in the IR sense of the word. The best way I've heard it described is "neo-Wilsonian idealist."

Quote:
They realize the US is the hegemon. They realize that the US needs to be the hegemon to enjoy economic security and unchallenged military/political power. Basically, it's good to be able to strong arm the rest of the world into doing things and then throw in some democratic catch-phrases to throw the light off of the corporate influence of decision-making.

Believe it or not, it's not all about us. US hegemony is, obviously enough, good for America, but it's good for the rest of the world too as long as the US remains a stabilizing rather than destabilizing force. And don't think that the neoconservatives don't believe in their pro-democratic rhetoric either. They see it as in the best interest of America's security to encourage democracy in as many countries as possible.

As for the original topic of the thread, he was a *******. Now he's a dead *******. I'm happy with the result.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2006-06-08, 7:37 PM #23
but saying we did so in Iraq for cheap oil is just ignorant.

I didn't say that.

However:

Afghanistan, Karzai, ex-Unocal (Texas), new oil pipeline, yada yada
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2006-06-08, 7:56 PM #24
I didn't say that.

Yes, you did:

Quote:
read: installing pro-American/western governments for cheap oil

...with the addition of the context of a thread discussing the death of the leader of al Qaeda in Iraq, yes, you said we went into Iraq for oil.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2006-06-08, 7:59 PM #25

Good, since what is going to happen to oil in the coming years is unprecedented anyway.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-06-08, 9:04 PM #26
They would also need to get rid of all the existing corrupt, pro-western regimes in the area.

So all the bad guys are corrupt pro-western regimes?
2006-06-08, 9:20 PM #27
If they were all pro-West, the current issues in the Middle East wouldn't be there.
Pissed Off?

↑ Up to the top!