Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Vacation in Ireland
Vacation in Ireland
2006-06-09, 2:41 AM #1
Alright, so I'm leaving for vacation in a week or two to go to Ireland...and I've got two questions I was hoping someone might be able to help me with.

1. Is pepper spray legal there for civilians? I've got some and I figured it wouldn't hurt to have it with me. Hasn't hurt me yet here.

2. The Flaming Lips are having a concert there while we're there, and my sister really wants to go see them since they're from Tulsa (we live in the area) and it'd be pretty funny for us to be there in Ireland...plus she loves them...but the concert is 3 hours away and we're not old enough to rent a car. So any ideas on a cheapish way to get there and back?

thanks!
Warhead[97]
2006-06-09, 7:01 AM #2
I have found public transportation in Ireland to be clean and affordable. Whether you go by bus or rail (whichever is more convenient) you shouldn't have any trouble Just do a little research on the web. :)

Safe journies and "may the road rise to meet you"!
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2006-06-09, 8:09 AM #3
Why would you need pepper spray?
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2006-06-09, 8:13 AM #4
I can't say I've ever heard anyone talk about pepper spray in the UK, so I would probably doubt it being legal. I'm fairly sure mace is illegal for civillians to have though.

And Transport - Train then bus.
nope.
2006-06-09, 8:18 AM #5
ah yes, maces are legal in the United Kingdom, as are swords, flails, axes... :o
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2006-06-09, 8:30 AM #6
I don't know how you plan to get into Ireland, but if you fly there you might have some problems if there's pepperspray in your bagage. Defenitely if your flight is transatlantic (don't know if you live in the US or Europe)
APT 1, 2, 3/4, 5/6
TDT
DMDMD

http://veddertheshredder.com
2006-06-09, 10:58 AM #7
Originally posted by Lord_Grismath:
ah yes, maces are legal in the United Kingdom, as are swords, flails, axes... :o

Thing is however, since 1922 Ireland is no longer part of the UK. ^.^ But I don't see why you'd need pepperspray on a holiday. As long as you steer clear of any dark alleys at night in Limerick.

As to the concert thing, it really depends on WHERE exactly the concert is. Some parts of Ireland are very poorly connected (in the public transportation sense)
Seishun da!
2006-06-09, 11:30 AM #8
but i cant imagine a concert being in a tiny villiage ;)
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2006-06-09, 2:38 PM #9
Oh yeah, I'm sure I wouldn't need the pepper spray, but I just got it, it's my new toy, and of course I'm way too excited about it, haha. Oh, and as far as I know, around ehre anyway,y you're allowed one cannister per passenger in checked baggage up to....a few ounces or something like that. 4 ounces?

So buses and trains run all day and night? I believe one of the problems was that it'd be really late when we were headed back. I'll start looking at that, though, if I can figure out how to do it for the money we've got, my sister will be very happy.
Warhead[97]
2006-06-09, 2:57 PM #10
Pepperspray is a weapon. Customs agents generally frown upon carrying weapons between countries.
2006-06-09, 3:04 PM #11
Besides, it's Ireland! Use your fists.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-06-09, 3:12 PM #12
And glass bottles.
2006-06-09, 3:32 PM #13
Mace is for wussies and girls. You're not a girl, are you? :v:
2006-06-09, 4:06 PM #14
Haha....well, actually, it's not mace. It's OC spray, or pepper spray. Mace is based on CN gas (aka tear gas), while pepper spray is based on OC gas, the main ingredient of which is capsaicin, which is the same thing that makes chilis in your food hot. Pepper spray makes you burn, mace makes you cry. Ah well, I'll have to go a week without my new toy.
Warhead[97]
2006-06-09, 10:36 PM #15
[QUOTE=Cool Matty]Mace is for wussies and girls. You're not a girl, are you? :v:[/QUOTE]

Ha, not my mace! It's purple, has 12 intellect, 11 spirit, and 15 stamina, and 72.5 DPS of upper kickass ownage!!! I also twinked it with crusader so look out, biotch!!
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2006-06-09, 10:46 PM #16
Stun Guns are better
"DON'T TASE ME BRO!" lol
2006-06-10, 6:54 AM #17
Originally posted by BobTheMasher:
So buses and trains run all day and night?.

Nay, but they stop running pretty late.
nope.
2006-06-10, 1:38 PM #18
Hmm...I've been looking at bus and train schedules. It might be doable, but it really amazes me how inefficient travel is over there. The country is so small, and yet it takes seven hours to get from Tralee to Kilkenny by...bus, i think it was, whereas I can get from Bartlesville to Dallas in 5, and that's so much further.
Warhead[97]
2006-06-10, 1:53 PM #19
Jesus man, get the train, that's a 120-odd mile journey. Remember that in Britland that bus stops are generally only a minute or 2 apart, and buses don't usually hit the motorways.
nope.
2006-06-10, 3:42 PM #20
Alright, so I'm leaving for vacation in a week or two to go to Ireland...and I've got two questions I was hoping someone might be able to help me with.

1. Is pepper spray legal there for civilians? I've got some and I figured it wouldn't hurt to have it with me. Hasn't hurt me yet here.

2. The Flaming Lips are having a concert there while we're there, and my sister really wants to go see them since they're from Tulsa (we live in the area) and it'd be pretty funny for us to be there in Ireland...plus she loves them...but the concert is 3 hours away and we're not old enough to rent a car. So any ideas on a cheapish way to get there and back?

thanks!

Really? I live in Tulsa and I've never heard of them.
2006-06-10, 3:48 PM #21
Well, it might have been train or bus, don't remember. If all the buses are localized, then it was probably train, so that's still insane.

The Flaming Lips aren't really mainstream..they're closer to indy-rock, which is what my sister likes. I kind of thought they played them on 104.5 sometimes, though, maybe I was mistaken. Anyway, they might be from OKC, I don't remember.
Warhead[97]
2006-06-10, 3:50 PM #22
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:

You probably need to hang around more emo people, thats how you hear of these local bands.
2006-06-10, 4:44 PM #23
COME TO MY HOUSE I LIVE IN DUBLIN!

just kidding, i dont like you. :ninja:
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2006-06-10, 5:28 PM #24
Flaming Lips rock.

¬¬
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2006-06-10, 6:27 PM #25
Originally posted by Stinkywrix:
You probably need to hang around more emo people, thats how you hear of these local bands.

That's ok, I'll do with out.
2006-06-10, 6:28 PM #26
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:

You need to LISTEN TO FREAKING MUSIC.
nope.
2006-06-10, 6:42 PM #27
Originally posted by Stinkywrix:

The Flamings Lips are the antithesis of emo.

Also, have a great time in Ireland, Bob! If you do manage to see the Flaming Lips I'm sure you'll have a great time--they have a fantastic live show. :)
2006-06-11, 1:06 AM #28
So I hear! I wouldn't call myself a fan, but I enjoy their music. I'm looking forward to having a good old time drinking beer and whiskey all day in Ireland....9 days of legal (responsible!) drinking..woo! Plus I'm going to see the sights, of course, and that'll be cool.
Warhead[97]
2006-06-11, 1:50 AM #29

It's not exactly illegal to carry pepper spray or cs spray but they are classed as fire arms, some security guards and police may be armed with them.
However, it is sort of illegal to use them!!! The laws around here are somewhat messed up in favour of the criminals, your not allowed to use "unreasonable force" and the debate is still on about that one.

<Edit>
Just found this, might be useful: http://www.credo-dublin.com/TheLaw.html
</Edit>

No idea who these are, not that big a music fan myself. Public transport shouldn't be too bad, make sure that your using the most direct trains where possible, a coach might be a good idea but unless there is already one arranged it can get expensive.

↑ Up to the top!