Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Win2k's monitor-shutoff settings not saving after reboot?
Win2k's monitor-shutoff settings not saving after reboot?
2004-06-23, 5:27 AM #1
This is kindof weird, and it's been present on my computer since the day I built it. However, since I don't turn off or even reboot my computer very often, I haven't payed much attention to it, but now it's just getting outright annoying.

The only screensaver or power settings I have set on my computer are to turn off the monitor after 20 minutes of idle. Now for some reason, each time I reboot my computer the setting seems to be "lost," in that I could leave my computer idle all day and the monitor will never shut off. So, I have to go back into the screensaver options to reset it - however, once I get to that screen, the settings all remain the way I left them (and want them left!). All I have to do is click apply and it works fine after that. From what I can tell, this only happens after a reboot, and not after shutdown. Has anybody else ever had this problem, or know how I might fix it? Thanks!

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?
2004-06-23, 5:50 AM #2
Windows has a tendency to forget its settings at random. Its not a bug, its a feature. You dont need those settings, so Windows gladly got rid of them for you!

You should problably reinstall.

------------------
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind.
:wq
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-06-23, 7:26 AM #3
First off, there's no way in hell I'm reinstalling just over something little like this. Thanks for the help anyway, though. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

Second, I'm not so sure that'd work anyway. Because I have formatted this computer once or twice, and obviously after which I had to install Win2k from scratch... and yet the "feature" as you so call it survived. That's why I was led to believe it might be a common problem with Win2k. :x

------------------
2004-06-23, 9:07 AM #4
Actually it's most likely caused by the monitor. My old crappy monitor would decide not to go into standby after I had changed video modes in any way(be it refresh rate, color depth, or resolution). My new monitor has yet to experience this problem in any way though.
2004-06-23, 9:16 AM #5
Doesn't sound like a monitor problem to me at all. For one, like I said it only seems to happen after a reboot, which is completely oblivious to the monitor. Second, it's no old crappy monitor. It's a flatpanel, so it's pretty new and up to date.

------------------
2004-06-23, 9:19 AM #6
That isn't completely oblivious to the monitor. Your monitor has to change resolutions when it's booting. And new doesn't mean perfect.

And if you claim to have formatted and reinstalled Windows, yet this problem doesn't go away, then it's obviously caused by something in your system that is constant, like hardware. May not necessarily mean that the hardware is bad. Could just be an incompatability issue.

[This message has been edited by Darth (edited June 23, 2004).]
2004-06-23, 9:47 AM #7
It doesn't happen when I change resolutions, though, and please tell me how the monitor knows the difference between a reboot and a shutdown. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
2004-06-23, 9:53 AM #8
Didn't say it had to be from the resolution changes, though I've seen that be a cause before. Makes little sense, but it was obvious that was the cause.

Anyway, it could be some weird incompatablity issue with the monitor or maybe video card. Tried changing the monitor drivers(since monitor drivers do very little, try something like using basic Windows drivers)? Tried it with different video card drivers?

↑ Up to the top!