Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → AHA! You called ME crazy?
AHA! You called ME crazy?
2006-06-09, 9:45 AM #1
http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,71087-1.html?tw=wn_story_page_next1

About a year ago I was talking about doing this very same thing in #massassi. People in #massassi laughed, saying it'd never work, I'd have problems with blood (though I had already talked to doctors (especially those well versed in hematology) and knew this wasn't true), that I'd never be able to travel through airports, I'd delete my laptop's harddrive. In fact, Brian himself went as far as to submit it for posting at Bash.org! Hah! I'm glad to see I'm not the only one out there who thinks a sixth sense would be amazing, you boring, boring people...
omnia mea mecum porto
2006-06-09, 9:58 AM #2
Mutant!
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2006-06-09, 10:00 AM #3
Don't sharks have a sense for electric fields?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-06-09, 10:00 AM #4
*loads up a cure gun*
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-06-09, 10:06 AM #5
I totally fail to see the benefit of such an implant.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2006-06-09, 10:07 AM #6
Originally posted by lassev:

You can be more attractive!

SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-06-09, 10:29 AM #7
.....okkkkkayyy.....
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-06-09, 10:44 AM #8
What the hell? What does this implant do? And what does being able to sense magnetic fields do?

Why on earth would you possibly want this?
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2006-06-09, 10:50 AM #9
It lets you pick up small... magnetic objects... oh god the usefullness :rolleyes:
2006-06-09, 10:50 AM #10
I don't really get it either. It's not really a new sense. Wouldn't the magnet just pull against your skin? It's just touch.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-06-09, 10:52 AM #11
To be MAGNETO! :psyduck:

Quote:
I figured that was the end, but it wasn't. Four months after I lost all effect, the spot darkened and the magnetism returned. The magnet -- being a magnet -- had reassembled itself in my finger. While it's nowhere near as sensitive as it once was, I can once again pick up other magnets.

That's awesome.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2006-06-09, 10:58 AM #12
You'd have to wear gloves to hide it.

:psyduck:
2006-06-09, 11:02 AM #13
Magnetic gloves! Oh man, if you get a strange vibrating feeling when you approach EM fields... imagine if you had one inserted in your p<genki>s!
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2006-06-09, 12:11 PM #14
Originally posted by Freelancer:
I don't really get it either. It's not really a new sense. Wouldn't the magnet just pull against your skin? It's just touch.

I think the article says that the magnets react with the nerves, giving off a sensation whenever you're close to a sufficiently strong magnetic field.

It's still not really a sixth sense, but I don't think it's touch.
"I'm afraid of OC'ing my video card. You never know when Ogre Calling can go terribly wrong."
2006-06-09, 12:42 PM #15
No, it's not exactly a sixth sense, but it would allow you to observe the world around you in a different way using your body, which is very close to a new sense. None of you have ever been curious about the shape and strength of magnetic fields around you? Stereo speakers, blenders, your computer, anti-theft gateways, generators, electric currents, personally I would be preoccupied for days just going around feeling for things. If you're looking for a point other than feeling magnetic fields, there isn't one. It's that simple.
omnia mea mecum porto
2006-06-09, 12:54 PM #16
Well, it might be interesting for a while, but I very much think it would start to bother more rather sooner than later. And the practical applications are still very limited.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2006-06-09, 12:59 PM #17
Now if only he could get a sense of direction like a compass, it'd be useful.
2006-06-09, 1:02 PM #18
I used to have a teacher that made magnets go crazy and televisions make the wierd effect. He never had any surgery-type stuff or implanted things or anything. It was just this way for him all his life. (He was never struck by lightning, either.)

As for this thing... I see it more as something you wouldn't want.
2006-06-09, 1:58 PM #19
thats crazy. but needless to say i got really grossed out hearing that the magnet reassembled itself under the guys skin blechhh
2006-06-09, 2:08 PM #20
Originally posted by Axis:
I used to have a teacher that made magnets go crazy and televisions make the wierd effect. He never had any surgery-type stuff or implanted things or anything. It was just this way for him all his life. (He was never struck by lightning, either.)

Its not all that common, but some people naturally happen to be magnetic (something in the blood i think). A family on Guinness (sp?) World Records was able to pick up random metal objects and then attach them with magnetics (one of them was able to stick a pair of irons to his chest).
50000 episodes of badmouthing and screaming like a constipated goat cant be wrong. - Mr. Stafford
2006-06-09, 7:05 PM #21
Originally posted by Axis:

What about it wouldn't you want?
omnia mea mecum porto
2006-06-09, 7:22 PM #22
Originally posted by Roach:
anti-theft gateways .

When I pass through one of those wearing unplugged headphones, I hear some sort of disturbance. Would that be the headphones picking up an EM field? It's kind of like what this guy does, only minus the nerve-reaction.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
2006-06-09, 7:30 PM #23
It would be awesome... imagine... with a sixth sense you could develope some new kind of magnetic communication like braile or something.

-I'd totally get it. Hell, I've got some stories I'm writing for classes and whatnot, I'll give it to a character in one o' dem.
2006-06-09, 10:53 PM #24
Originally posted by Lord_Grismath:
Magnetic gloves! Oh man, if you get a strange vibrating feeling when you approach EM fields... imagine if you had one inserted in your p<genki>s!

thank you for using it in its intended manner

now make everyone else it correctly, or release LoG3, your choice
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2006-06-09, 11:05 PM #25
Originally posted by Forsakahn:
Its not all that common, but some people naturally happen to be magnetic (something in the blood i think). A family on Guinness (sp?) World Records was able to pick up random metal objects and then attach them with magnetics (one of them was able to stick a pair of irons to his chest).

I saw them on Ripley's I believe.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-06-10, 8:04 AM #26
Yeah, I think that's freaking awesome. If they get that a little more official and a little more reliable with that 70 silicon stuff, I'd SERIOUSLY consider getting one. That'd be beyond cool.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-06-10, 9:11 AM #27
I saw that (or maybe it was different person) on another site, which had pictures of the implant procedure as well as the infection and removal. Pretty nifty idea, but definitely not the safest yet.
2006-06-10, 9:17 AM #28
I duno. The finger has so many never the lump tha magnet made would probably be really anoying.
2006-06-10, 9:33 AM #29
Originally posted by JediKirby:
Yeah, I think that's freaking awesome. If they get that a little more official and a little more reliable with that 70 silicon stuff, I'd SERIOUSLY consider getting one. That'd be beyond cool.

$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2006-06-10, 12:24 PM #30
Originally posted by lassev:

I fail also.
"Well ain't that a merry jelly." - FastGamerr

"You can actually see the waves of me not caring in the air." - fishstickz
2006-06-10, 12:41 PM #31
Quote:
What about it wouldn't you want?

A little piece of metal painfully inserted into my finger doesn't sound too enjoyable, and neither do the infections that follow. Other than that, though, I think it'd be pretty fun, actually. :)
2006-06-10, 12:51 PM #32

This just happened to be my first thought...

About a year ago I was talking about doing this very same thing in #massassi. People in #massassi laughed...

Ironically, you got the link in #massassi.
<Rob> This is internet.
<Rob> Nothing costs money if I don't want it to.
2006-06-10, 3:03 PM #33
Next time, please link to Page 1 so I do read through half of Page 2 thinking the guy that wrote it is the worst writer ever.
<Lyme> I got Fight Club for 6.98 at walmart.
<Black_Bishop> I am Jack's low price guarantee
2006-06-10, 3:03 PM #34
Originally posted by JudgeDredd:
Next time, please link to Page 1 so I do read through half of Page 2 thinking the guy that wrote it is the worst writer ever.

Yeah, I did the same thing
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-06-10, 5:04 PM #35
Originally posted by SithGhost:
A little piece of metal painfully inserted into my finger doesn't sound too enjoyable, and neither do the infections that follow. Other than that, though, I think it'd be pretty fun, actually. :)

I've had metal painfully inserted into other body parts before, you get over it. And infections aren't supposed to happen.

[quote=Commander 598]Ironically, you got the link in #massassi.[/quote]
If my #massassi you mean Fark, then you're 100% correct.
omnia mea mecum porto
2006-06-10, 5:20 PM #36
If my #massassi you mean Fark, then you're 100% correct.

If by "my" you mean "by", no. I did put that link up in #massassi last night. I've probably got logs to prove it!
<Rob> This is internet.
<Rob> Nothing costs money if I don't want it to.
2006-06-10, 6:59 PM #37
It's been linked to on several sites in the last day, you are not the only source of news.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2006-06-10, 7:37 PM #38
Yeah, and since I posted this yesterday morning, and not last night, pretty much makes me not care about your logs. Besides, those guys have been on BME for the past 7 or 8 months, at the very least. It really isn't that new, it's just the first time I've come across a "news" article about it.
omnia mea mecum porto
2006-06-12, 11:34 AM #39
I want one.
/fluffle
2006-06-12, 11:39 AM #40
Oh man, if you get a strange vibrating feeling when you approach EM fields... imagine if you had one inserted in your p<genki>s!

That's suck if your girlfriend had one on the side of her hip :B

↑ Up to the top!