Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Cars: The movie
Cars: The movie
2006-06-14, 8:23 AM #1
Has anyone else seen it? It's great. They bring life to something that shouldn't have any, and some of the CG is downright amazing. I loved it. I'm talking 10/10 loved it.

Thoughts?
-There are easier things in life than finding a good woman, like nailing Jello to a tree, for instance

Tazz
2006-06-14, 9:04 AM #2
A bunch more include lame pop culture references, CGI and oldies music and everyone will love it crap.
2006-06-14, 2:44 PM #3
Dissapointing. Lighter on the humor than other Pixar outings and the story was a little drab and utterly predictable. I think the concept was missing something; toys coming to life when you're not around - interesting idea, outlawed superheros roaming the streets like everyday people - interesting idea, cars inexplicably acting just like humans do - o..k...?

That said it was fun to look at, and they put quite a lot of thought into casting the characters as real cars which I appreciated.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2006-06-14, 2:46 PM #4
I don't really watch kid movies anymore...
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-06-14, 2:50 PM #5
Originally posted by Freelancer:

Since when did Pixar ever made a movie just for kids?

Answer: Never.
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2006-06-14, 2:51 PM #6
Answer: always.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-06-14, 2:53 PM #7
Sorry Freelancer, but Savage is right, Pixar always makes their movies with kids AND adults in mind.
"Oh my god. That just made me want to start cutting" - Aglar
"Why do people from ALL OVER NORTH AMERICA keep asking about CATS?" - Steven, 4/1/2009
2006-06-14, 3:37 PM #8
I think I'll hold out for The Incredibles 2 before I see Cars. *shrug* Maybe I'll see Cars still. But I wish it was Incredibles 2 instead.
DISCLAIMER: This is just armchair observation, not the result of many hours of deliberate study of the subject. I'm by no means an expert, but just an ignorant hick who's putting his two cents in. For that and a nickel, you can have a cup of coffee.
2006-06-14, 4:49 PM #9
Yeah, Cars does look lackluster. Might be Pixar's first "flop".
2006-06-14, 4:54 PM #10
Originally posted by Freelancer:

When movies are full of references most people younger than 16 wouldn't understand, they probably aren't just for kids.
2006-06-14, 4:57 PM #11
Originally posted by TheRuleofThirds:
I think I'll hold out for The Incredibles 2 before I see Cars. *shrug* Maybe I'll see Cars still. But I wish it was Incredibles 2 instead.

Or A Bug's Life 2....or Toy Story 3...or Monsters Inc. 2..........or Finding Nemo 2.......
"Oh my god. That just made me want to start cutting" - Aglar
"Why do people from ALL OVER NORTH AMERICA keep asking about CATS?" - Steven, 4/1/2009
2006-06-14, 5:23 PM #12
Mater reminded me of my Wife's cousin (and his dad owns a wrecker service too)...
"The solution is simple."
2006-06-14, 5:31 PM #13
Honestly, I'm just getting really tired of these kinds of movies.
The tired anthem of a loser and a hypocrite.
2006-06-14, 7:40 PM #14
Originally posted by petmc20:
Or A Bug's Life 2....or Toy Story 3...or Monsters Inc. 2..........or Finding Nemo 2.......

There was a Toy Story 3 in production but it got the axe. I forget why though.
2006-06-14, 7:47 PM #15
I thought it was a good Pixar flick. The problem I saw with it was that the humor was noticeably less. Seemed like they were trying for a more serious movie - but that will fail to hold a child's attention as the characters aren't strong or interesting enough to succeed in that sense. I definitely could see parts in the movie where kids would be losing interest.

I enjoyed it, but I feel the concept as a whole is what made the movie pale in comparison to their others. There's only so much you can do with car jokes, and they did them to the 9th degree. Their next movie (The trailer airs before Cars) definitely looks like it's getting back on track for their movies.

I have ALWAYS found Pixar movies predictable and cliched horribly. In Cars, its very noticeable. You felt like you've seen it all before. From the one Flashback scene which felt like a rip on Toy Story's 2 flashback, to the general story path and outcome.

I'd give it a 7.5/10

Visually amazing, but storywise lacking. Now maybe this will finally shatter the image that Lasseter can do nothing but A+ movies. This is the 'flop' in a sense we've been waiting for (Eisner even felt they would eventually have a flop, and thought it would be Finding Nemo).

The CGI market is becoming oversaturated IMO, and that's the problem. The charms that made Toy Story, Monsters Inc, etc - don't have the same effect anymore.

Pixar needs to either change their 'predictable' format for storytelling (Their elements such as jokes and references and characters are usually perfect though) or just do something radically different genre wise. We've seen Toys talk, Ants talk, Monsters talk, Fish talk, superheroes talk, and now cars talk. The story needs to be built more than just on that
2006-06-14, 7:56 PM #16
thats why i think shrek is so refreshing in the genre.

a cgi satire is always a good buzz.
2006-06-14, 9:30 PM #17
[QUOTE=Mr. Stafford]thats why i think shrek is so refreshing in the genre.

a cgi satire is always a good buzz.[/QUOTE]
Too bad the animation sucks hard in comparison to pixar.
>>untie shoes
2006-06-14, 9:36 PM #18
meh, i never noticed...

its like playing old games, i find gameplay to outshine graphics to the point that i dont even notice shoddy graphics.
2006-06-14, 9:37 PM #19
Do they mention Knight Rider? :v:
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

-G Man
2006-06-14, 10:42 PM #20
I need Toy Story 3
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2006-06-15, 12:09 AM #21
Has anyone seen that movie Robots? The digitally animated one?
THAT MOVIE has the classic story. I felt like I was watching Aladdin all over again... especially with Robin Williams character so... show stealing.

The incredibles was the last really good animated movie from Pixar I've seen.

Since then... FFVII, AC takes the cake.
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2006-06-15, 10:21 AM #22
I just have to accept the fact that ya'll have MUCH different tastes in movies than I do.
-There are easier things in life than finding a good woman, like nailing Jello to a tree, for instance

Tazz
2006-06-15, 12:37 PM #23
I haven't seen it yet, but I plan on seeing it eventually. I don't know when I'll see it though.
2006-06-15, 4:00 PM #24
I just got back from seeing it. Characters were Grade A perfection, in my opinion. Story was, of course, predictable but there were some good jokes.

I'd reccomend seeing it.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-06-23, 10:00 PM #25
I just saw this, and I have to say, I'm amazed how critical some of you people are of this movie. A flop? Come on! The film was amazing. The animation, as always, was superb. The story and characters were top notch, the creativity unbelievable. A bad story? You think a story created entirely about cars with no human beings at all is unoriginal or "cliche"? The emotional response some animated automobiles drew from me was amazing. I felt for these characters more than a lot of the crappy live action movies I've seen this year.

The humor was abundant, so I don't know what you some of you people are referring to. Just because it doesn't have some lame toilet humor joke every minute like the majority of so called "family friendly" movies doesn't mean the film lacks humor. I personally found it mroe humorous than the Incredibles, although I really, REALLY like the incredibles as well.

Overall, though, This movie has class. The voice acting was superb, and some of the original music was quite good. I loved the message throughout the movie, and marvel at just how well Pixar is at creating a movie that can entertain both a 5 year old and 55 year old. Every single Pixar movie so far is worth it's weight in gold, and their productions are far better than 10 combined of the dime a dozen CGI rubbish that seems to be flowing like water nowadays.

Long live Pixar, a font of creativity and imagination! :D
My JK Level Design | 2005 JK Hub Level Pack (Plexus) | Massassi Levels
2006-06-23, 10:07 PM #26
Oh, I will also mention this : DON'T JUDGE THE FILM BY IT'S TRAILER. You know how a lot of trailers show you the 2 minutes of good footage in the whole movie? Pixar seems to do it differently. They show a minimal ammount of stuff, saving the best for last so to speak. I really had my doubts when I saw the trailer at first, and I really thought the film would be pretty bad, but after watching it, Pixar just proved to me again that they still still have that same magic touch and left me wondering how I can keep on doubting such a core of talented writers and animators. :)
My JK Level Design | 2005 JK Hub Level Pack (Plexus) | Massassi Levels
2006-06-23, 11:09 PM #27
"He's got 3 Piston Cups!"

"He did what in his cup? :D
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2006-06-23, 11:44 PM #28
Check out this summer's blockbuster hit! What happens when [inanimate object/Animal]'s come to life and act like humans!? [Male Character's Name] is just trying to find [home/a place/meaning/his mother], and he's got a lot of friends to help him along the way! [Excited fast paced yell or squeel or explosion scene] [Fast talking funny dopey character scene] [A joke that parents would get] [Slapstick humor] See this summer's #1 movie, Disney and/or Pixar's: [inanimate object]'s!

[/every single personified inanimate object or animal's coming of age movie preview ever]
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-06-24, 12:01 AM #29
Originally posted by JediKirby:
Check out this summer's blockbuster hit! What happens when [inanimate object/Animal]'s come to life and act like humans!? [Male Character's Name] is just trying to find [home/a place/meaning/his mother], and he's got a lot of friends to help him along the way! [Excited fast paced yell or squeel or explosion scene] [Fast talking funny dopey character scene] [A joke that parents would get] [Slapstick humor] See this summer's #1 movie, Disney and/or Pixar's: [inanimate object]'s!

[/every single personified inanimate object or animal's coming of age movie preview ever]

yeah... but alot of movies are like that... certain types of movies tend to follow a popular trend, and thats the popular trend for these movies I guess. Kids like to see movies where a character has to overcome something and learn a lesson...or something... I donno, it entertains kids.

I prefer Pixars movies to dreamworks stuff, Shrek was good, shrek 2 was ok, but their animation tends to be a little more stiff then Pixars, and Dreamworks is full of pop culture refrences that 5 years from now won't be funny at all, songs, jokes, all that crap that people will go "huh?" and crack open a history book to understand the joke.

Pixar ALWAYS has excellent animations, top notch visuals and a good musical score that sticks with you, they tend to limit the pop culture stuff. The Incredibles was full of classical music and cheesy 50's superhero music that made it excellent.

I love pixar's work.

I was also under the impression that this was either A. Pixar's first movie as PIXAR and not PIXAR/Disney, or it was Disney's first picture with PIXAR where disney had most control... I don't know now... rumours have been a brewing for a while and I can't get them straight. either way...
The Gas Station
2006-06-24, 7:14 AM #30
Originally posted by SavageX378:
Yeah, Cars does look lackluster. Might be Pixar's first "flop".

thats exactly what I thought. but then I saw it with some freinds and it blew me away. It's not The Incredibles by a long shot, but was an amazing movie.
“Without education we are in a horrible and deadly danger of taking educated people seriously.” -G.K. Chesterton
2006-06-24, 8:13 AM #31
I dislike how they're marketing the living **** out of it. I can't get through a day without seeing something involving Cars at least three times. Characters are showing up in commercials for other products, people are going crazy over the toys at McDonald's (reminds me of the beanie baby craze 8-10 years ago), I even saw a kid decked out from head to toe (literally, hat, shirt, shorts, shoes, even SOCKS) in Cars gear before the movie came out. What is happening to the world?
2006-06-24, 8:56 AM #32
Originally posted by Aglar:
I dislike how they're marketing the living **** out of it. I can't get through a day without seeing something involving Cars at least three times. Characters are showing up in commercials for other products, people are going crazy over the toys at McDonald's (reminds me of the beanie baby craze 8-10 years ago), I even saw a kid decked out from head to toe (literally, hat, shirt, shorts, shoes, even SOCKS) in Cars gear before the movie came out. What is happening to the world?

It's called advertising/marketing. Have you never seen this happen before with other movies? :confused:
2006-06-24, 9:09 AM #33
I liked the cameo by Click and Clack best. That rocked.
2006-06-24, 11:11 AM #34
Originally posted by JediKirby:
[annoying junk]

Do you ever, EVER, actually AGREE with people?! I mean, come on, every time there's a thread about something the majority of people actually like, you HAVE to post your shpeel about how much YOU don't like it and how we all SHOULDN'T. Can't you ever just shut up when you don't like something? Your attitude really pisses me off sometimes.

Anyway, sorry, everyone else. I had to get that out of my system. Let's keep this topic on track now, and not let it turn into a huge fight. I saw it, and loved the humor. I agree that the story might have been somewhat predictable (Oh, there's the pretty girl(car), I just know he's gonna get her at the end of the movie), but please, it's a kid's movie. It doesn't have to completely blow your mind. I loved some of the parts, like the tractor tipping (every kid in the audience laughed as loud as they could when the tractors 'farted'. :)), and the 'He did what in his cup?' part. Overall, a good Pixar movie, and I can't wait for the next one. I also like how they're keeping up the tradition of having an animated short before each film about something completely random. :D
DO NOT WANT.
2006-06-24, 12:06 PM #35
Originally posted by Demon_Nightmare:
It's called advertising/marketing. Have you never seen this happen before with other movies? :confused:

I have, but not to the degree I've experienced with Cars. It astounded me how one day I woke up and this was just all there, it literally happened over night.
2006-06-24, 12:17 PM #36
The president of Pixar just threw wads of cash at things until it happened.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2006-06-24, 12:27 PM #37
Originally posted by Zell:
Do you ever, EVER, actually AGREE with people?! I mean, come on, every time there's a thread about something the majority of people actually like, you HAVE to post your shpeel about how much YOU don't like it and how we all SHOULDN'T. Can't you ever just shut up when you don't like something? Your attitude really pisses me off sometimes.

I was ignoring this thread, but this post inspired me to comment here. :p

What bothers me mostly is that all the characters are like, shallow stereotypes. Military guy, hippie guy, mexican guy, famous jerk, old wise guy, etc. That's an immense failing, and nobody's really touching on it here. They're "loud" stereotypes presented in cartoonish ways in the movie, obviously, but that doesn't make them great characters. Larry the Cable Guy? aagg :psyduck:

Plus the fact that all their previous movies had some sort of closed-loop reality to it, even if it wasn't actually possible—Toy Story, the toys could talk, sure, and they weren't supposed to talk to the people. But their environment was made by the people, and it basically made a kind of sense. But the Cars thing is like wtfff, it's more on the nonsensical Disney world end of the spectrum, farther even than A Bug's Life was.
2006-06-24, 9:50 PM #38
[http://www.zentatsu.com/jules.gif]
I'm sorry Zell, did I break your concentration?

Maybe I'll just NEVER post in threads unless I have an opinion that agrees with everyone else? By the way, I missed the part where I was bent on changing everyone else's opinion. Care to point that part of my post out to me?

Not to mention, you don't seem to take jokes very well. I liked a Bug's Life, and I also liked Toy Story. Small Soldiers is also a good flick. I made an observation on the commonality between personification movies. Sorry I offended you.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-06-24, 10:02 PM #39
It's not so much that your opinion differs from other peoples', it's the way you arrogantly make it sound as if everyone ELSE's opinion about what they like is wrong, and that yours is right. I don't care if yours is different.

As for liking those particular Pixar films, maybe you should have said that. All I could see in your post was just a sarcastic attack at all of Pixar's movies. Hell, at every movie ever made.

And I'm not just talking about this one in particular, it's several other threads that you do this in too. The argument over which is better, Far Cry or Half Life 2, comes to mind. You were definetely trying to impose your opinion that Far Cry is better in that thread.

But I digress. This thread is about Pixar. You want to keep arguing with me, PM me.
DO NOT WANT.
2006-06-26, 9:19 AM #40
We should all just learn to get a long. It would save us a lot of headaches. :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:
Very funny Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.

↑ Up to the top!