Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Solar Death Ray
Solar Death Ray
2006-06-16, 7:08 AM #41
Originally posted by CaptBevvil:
Why didn't you just spray paint that bad boy with reflective paint? I think the gold paint works better then the silver paint... :ninja:

Because it's nowhere near as good as a real mirror finish.

Kyle, I highly recommend this article at Metku. A guy used polishes from English Custom Polishing to get a true mirror finish on his Shuttle case. You could follow a similar procedure.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-06-16, 2:37 PM #42
Wow, that's pretty good. I dunno if I have to get that good; 95% reflection will be pretty much the same as 100% reflection for what I'm doing.
Stuff
2006-06-16, 2:47 PM #43
Originally posted by Echoman:
I was thinking convex would scatter them.

It is, Echo. I remember my 5th grade teacher saying "ConCAVE caves away from you."
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-06-16, 3:07 PM #44
I was thinking convex would scatter them.

For some reason my tired brain fails me and I can't picture it in my mind, but think of it this way, a magnifying glass focuses rays into a focal point, and it has a convex lens. Therefore a concave would scatter them.
nope.
2006-06-16, 3:23 PM #45
Except the rays are already coming in onto a point; a convex lens wouldn't do much. A concave lens could turn the one focal point into a beam of destruction that could be potent at many meters away! Assuming correct optics of course.
Stuff
2006-06-16, 3:26 PM #46
What if we assume incorrect optics?
2006-06-16, 3:38 PM #47
Unless you have an optics bench and several months of tweak-time, *always* assume incorrect optics. Trust me on this one.
Council of 14
2006-06-16, 3:47 PM #48
Originally posted by kyle90:
Except the rays are already coming in onto a point; a convex lens wouldn't do much. A concave lens could turn the one focal point into a beam of destruction that could be potent at many meters away! Assuming correct optics of course.

Good point. But as I said; tired brain.
nope.
2006-06-16, 4:20 PM #49
Originally posted by CaptBevvil:
Why didn't you just spray paint that bad boy with reflective paint? I think the gold paint works better then the silver paint... :ninja:

Wouldn't the color gold absorb some of the heat, more than silver?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-06-16, 4:25 PM #50

Not with velocital physics!
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-06-16, 6:24 PM #51
Originally posted by Emon:
Not with velocital physics!

Seriously Emon, grow up!

Okay, okay, you've got me. The "ninga eyes" had a meaning behind them.
http://www.bosny.com/Home/Products/_______Aerosol_Spray_Paint/_______aerosol_spray_paint.html

BOSNY-40
It has a gold tint to it. The main thing is that it helps protect the dish from corrosion. Sure, you loose some effectiveness in the short run, but it'll help preserve the device and give you longer service in the long run. Just make sure you only use a thin coating. If you get it too think, then it won't reflect as well...
"The solution is simple."

↑ Up to the top!