Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → A small driving a car survey...
A small driving a car survey...
2004-06-23, 1:44 PM #1
Let's say you are driving a car down a road. Right in front of your car are words on the pavement. If the words on the road were placed on paper it would go:

AHEAD

SCHOOL

Here is my question:

If there was a small distance between the two words, and you were moving foward in your automobile, would you, at first glance, read the words like words on paper or would you read the word closest to your car and "move upward"?

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)

--------@%

The Massassi JO/JA Single Player contest info
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-06-23, 1:47 PM #2
I've wondered the same thing when I see things like that that say

STOP

AHEAD

But I guess if you're going fast enough they figure you don't have time to rememeber what the first word was by the time you see the last one... but then again, it's just two words. Not like a paragraph or anything. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

as for my answer, I think it depends mostly on how they're written but at first glance, I guess yes I do read them as I come upon the words.

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?

[This message has been edited by Correction (edited June 23, 2004).]
Do you have stairs in your house?
2004-06-23, 1:48 PM #3
right, I always subconsciously read that as "ahead school' at the first glance.

Another thing that's weird is when the city just paints STOP on the road instead of putting up a decent stop sign.

I once got pulled over for running one of those, but in court I pointed out 9with pictures) that the asphalt was so broken up and the sign so faded that it was impossible to see unless you knew it was there. I won my case, and they still haven't fixed it. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
The University of North Carolina has finally found a network server that, although missing for four years, hasn't missed a packet in all that time. Try as they might, university administrators couldn't find the server. Working with Novell Inc., IT workers tracked it down by meticulously following cable until they literally ran into a wall. The server had been mistakenly sealed behind drywall by maintenance workers.
2004-06-23, 1:51 PM #4
The best one is

STOP

BUS

------------------
WARNING: THIS POST MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF PEANUT!
----@%
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2004-06-23, 1:52 PM #5
I always read it as "ahead stop".

------------------
Because you're as bored as I am
"This world is made of love and peace!"
"Let's live today, let's live tomorrow, and let's live the day after that, even if it means living in eternal pain."
- Vash the Stampede
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2004-06-23, 2:28 PM #6
That's what street signs are for!

Where are all of you seeing these things written on the road? I can't remember ever seeing -anything- but lines painted on roads. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/confused.gif]

------------------
WAITER: Here’s your green salad, sir.
ANAKIN: What? You fool, I told you NO CROUTONS! Aaaaaaargh!
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-06-23, 2:38 PM #7
I would read the words as they were written. Luckily there are only signs around here.

------------------
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right." -Isaac Asimov
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2004-06-23, 2:56 PM #8
Erm...Aren't you supposed to look ahead of you, instead of looking down at the road right in front of you?

------------------
IMPORTANT NOTICE: If you are one of the hundreds of parachuting enthusiasts who bought out "Easy Sky Diving" book, please make the following correction: on page 8, line 7, the words "state zip code" should have read "pull rip cord."
IMPORTANT NOTICE: If you are one of the hundreds of parachuting enthusiasts who bought our "Easy Sky Diving" book, please make the following correction: on page 8, line 7, the words "state zip code" should have read "pull rip cord."
2004-06-23, 3:09 PM #9
I would read it like reading a paragraph.

------------------

"Bantha's are filthy animals.......I don't eat filthy animals."

"Laugh it up Fuzzball!"
-Han Solo
2004-06-23, 4:38 PM #10
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Da_Roosta:
Erm...Aren't you supposed to look ahead of you, instead of looking down at the road right in front of you?</font>

Surprisingly enough, the words are big enough to be read from some distance away.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.

↑ Up to the top!