Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → The Intel Conroe: the end of AMD's reign over gaming?
The Intel Conroe: the end of AMD's reign over gaming?
2006-06-18, 5:48 PM #41
Originally posted by Jepman:
Yoshi will have your head for posting a Tom's Hardware link :p

good call :psyduck:

[quote=]Tomshardware Tomshardware LOL[/quote]

not sure where that comes from :-P. considering they did objective tests (let me know if i'm wrong) of the processors in the article, it shouldn't matter where the results come from.

[quote=]But seriously, even with the 805 overclocked to 4.1ghz (which is a very isolated incident, let me assure you--I've heard most people can only get it to 3.5-3.8 range) you'll still see better gaming performance with a more cost-effective 3500+ and Asus motherboard.

It costs the same, in fact LESS, and yet you can overclock it further as it's already got a huge advantage. Don't believe me? Here's the prices:

AMD64 3500+ Venice Core
Asus Motherboard

Pentium D 805
Asus Motherboard

As you can see, you spend 20 dollars less on the AMD combo, and get a better basic performance, not to mention the great overclockability of the Venice core (500 MHz isn't uncommon on air, which would put it somewhere in the neighborhood of a 4200-4400+ or so.) and the superior performance as is.

Seriously, that little bit about the Pentium D 805 is so overblown it's not even funny.[/quote]

comparing AMD 3500+ side-by-side with the pentium d 805 without OC (I'm assuming thats what you mean by "basic performance") is unnecessary. I was referring to the OC'ed version of the pentium d 805.

also, i find it kind of funny that you list two different mobo's with different specifications and yet brag about a meager $20 price difference.

Okay. So let's say the processor is overclocked to 3.7 max. I still don't understand. The benchmarks clearly show the pentium d 805 OC'ed to 3.8 gHz outperforming even the 4600+ in the futuremark and performing basically equal to that of a 4400+. BUT, considering the pentium d 805 has the potential to be OC'ed to 4.1 gHz w/ water cooling, i'd say it edges out the amd processor.

by the way, please dont flame me after this dj.
2006-06-18, 5:54 PM #42
Yeah, and some Opterons 170's can hit 3.3Ghz. Don't plan on getting that kind of OC though.
2006-06-19, 12:51 AM #43
Originally posted by ragna:
good call :psyduck:

not sure where that comes from :-P. considering they did objective tests (let me know if i'm wrong) of the processors in the article, it shouldn't matter where the results come from.

comparing AMD 3500+ side-by-side with the pentium d 805 without OC (I'm assuming thats what you mean by "basic performance") is unnecessary. I was referring to the OC'ed version of the pentium d 805.

also, i find it kind of funny that you list two different mobo's with different specifications and yet brag about a meager $20 price difference.

Okay. So let's say the processor is overclocked to 3.7 max. I still don't understand. The benchmarks clearly show the pentium d 805 OC'ed to 3.8 gHz outperforming even the 4600+ in the futuremark and performing basically equal to that of a 4400+. BUT, considering the pentium d 805 has the potential to be OC'ed to 4.1 gHz w/ water cooling, i'd say it edges out the amd processor.

by the way, please dont flame me after this dj.

Don't worry, you didn't do anything flame worthy. I'm just getting a little sick of the PENTIUM 805 OMG bits (which are rampant on pretty much every tech site I know--mostly from intel zealots and people who don't know that much). No problem :)

The 20 dollar difference isn't the point--It's that you can get a MUCH more able AMD proc for 20 dollars less. Also, I don't know about you, but 20 dollars feeds me for like 3 or 4 days. That's not meager :p

And water cooling would cost even more. That's another 100-150 for quality equipment, at which point you might as well get a 4000+ single-core San Diego AMD and overclock it morbidly, destroying any chance the 805 has. And the 3500+ is compared to a 3.7 max, that's stock versus overclocked. Overclocking isn't a sure thing. Stock is.

No offense, it's just...not that big of a deal :)
D E A T H
2006-06-19, 9:51 AM #44
I'm personally more interested in the thermals the new conroe's and next batch of Athlons will put out, Conroe is looking at a max thermal rating of 65watts, which is about 20 watts less than the current AMD's (similar performance range), which are a hell of a lot less than the current P4's.

Conroe will have the performance edge at least until around Jan/Feb next year I think, but from then on it'll all depend on what AMD brings out and how it performs, currently there are no samples available. AMD looks like its going to have to make up around a 20% difference in games to equal intel, which is not out of the realms of possibility that the K8L might achieve.

Only ticky thing for AMD is that they are also in the process of moving to 60nm production throughout the end of this year and beginning of next and its thought that K8L will only be a revision of the K8 with a speed bump and decreased thermal output, which ok, but as to whether it'll make up the performance difference is questionable.

Still interesting times ahead and now that intel actually have a decent architecture and performance, hopefully it should drive down prices and make for interesting competition in the beginning of 2007.
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2006-06-19, 9:17 PM #45
[QUOTE=James Bond]I'm personally more interested in the thermals the new conroe's and next batch of Athlons will put out, Conroe is looking at a max thermal rating of 65watts, which is about 20 watts less than the current AMD's (similar performance range), which are a hell of a lot less than the current P4's.

Conroe will have the performance edge at least until around Jan/Feb next year I think, but from then on it'll all depend on what AMD brings out and how it performs, currently there are no samples available. AMD looks like its going to have to make up around a 20% difference in games to equal intel, which is not out of the realms of possibility that the K8L might achieve.

Only ticky thing for AMD is that they are also in the process of moving to 60nm production throughout the end of this year and beginning of next and its thought that K8L will only be a revision of the K8 with a speed bump and decreased thermal output, which ok, but as to whether it'll make up the performance difference is questionable.

Still interesting times ahead and now that intel actually have a decent architecture and performance, hopefully it should drive down prices and make for interesting competition in the beginning of 2007.[/QUOTE]
The only sad part is is that this is Intel's first good archi since the Northwoods :psyduck:
D E A T H

↑ Up to the top!