Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → samba, samba, samba.... what am I going to do with you?
samba, samba, samba.... what am I going to do with you?
2004-06-23, 1:31 PM #1
Ok, here's the situation. In red hat, I have some documents to print. The workstation that i have redhat on is part of a windows network, so I will have to use samba to communicate with the printer, right? However, i'm having problems getting printing to work from within red hat.

BTW, the printer is directly hooked into the other computer (running WinXP) on the network.

I got the printer installed with no problems, and it is the default printer. However, when i go to print, the print manager says that it cannot communicate with samba or something like that, so the document sits in the queue and never prints. As it is right now, i have to save the linux documents to floppy disk in microsoft office formats and print them dfrom within Windows, which sucks.

I'm doing all of my REALLY important stuff in linux b/c linux is infinitely more reliable than windows and I'm more willing to rely on Linux's rock-hard stability with my most important business stuff (like financial records, expense reports, etc.).

I've lost enough valuable documents to a windows xp -related screwup to never fully trust microsoft with anything mission-critical ever again.

so, how do i fix my printing problem. a walkthrough spoon-fed to me would be nice. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
The University of North Carolina has finally found a network server that, although missing for four years, hasn't missed a packet in all that time. Try as they might, university administrators couldn't find the server. Working with Novell Inc., IT workers tracked it down by meticulously following cable until they literally ran into a wall. The server had been mistakenly sealed behind drywall by maintenance workers.

[This message has been edited by Pagewizard_YKS (edited June 23, 2004).]
2004-06-23, 7:47 PM #2
Bump

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-06-23, 8:02 PM #3
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
Bump

</font>

thanks. At least someone gives a s***. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
The University of North Carolina has finally found a network server that, although missing for four years, hasn't missed a packet in all that time. Try as they might, university administrators couldn't find the server. Working with Novell Inc., IT workers tracked it down by meticulously following cable until they literally ran into a wall. The server had been mistakenly sealed behind drywall by maintenance workers.
2004-06-23, 8:08 PM #4
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS:

thanks. At least someone gives a s***. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

</font>

I'll give my friend a query on this.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-06-23, 11:12 PM #5
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS:
I'm doing all of my REALLY important stuff in linux b/c linux is infinitely more reliable than windows and I'm more willing to rely on Linux's rock-hard stability with my most important business stuff (like financial records, expense reports, etc.).

I've lost enough valuable documents to a windows xp -related screwup to never fully trust microsoft with anything mission-critical ever again.
</font>

If it's that mission-critical, you should have a backup policy in place. Just because you're running Linux doesn't mean the chance of losing data has magically reduced to zero.
2004-06-24, 12:00 AM #6
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Evil_Giraffe:
If it's that mission-critical, you should have a backup policy in place. Just because you're running Linux doesn't mean the chance of losing data has magically reduced to zero.</font>

yup, that is very true but i'll also like to point out something, i drafted and constructed an script to implement an backup policy for my linux system in 10-20 min and it works great, tad slow but that's cuz its in background and only does full backup, not done w/ the system eventually will improve it and stuff but for now it work.

but anyway i just want to point it out that its imho much simpler to do a system wide backup in linux all automated down to the burning of the cdrom. all i have to do is remove the cdrom when its full and put in a new one, for free

*shungs* just my option

------------------
Echoman: If I can create energy from stupidity, the world's power supply will never end...
Echoman: If I can create energy from stupidity, the world's power supply will never end...
2004-06-24, 7:37 AM #7
Can you connect to the other samba-thingies (forgot the word [http://forums.massassi.net/html/redface.gif]) on the WinXP machine?

------------------
Sorry for the lousy English
Sorry for the lousy German

↑ Up to the top!