Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Name that Beetle.
Name that Beetle.
2004-06-23, 8:19 PM #1
No, it's not Ringo.. It's..:

[http://24.108.231.162/etc/beetle_small.jpg]

Anyone know what it is?

------------------
Juztyn
Taking credit for: Canyon Stream, Higher Ground, The Space Between, Death's Dome (mlp3), bits of JKRPG, and the entire Showcase forum, damnit!... Visit SWGalaxies.net for the latest Star Wars: Galaxies information!
I beat the internet. The last guy was hard.
2004-06-23, 8:23 PM #2
It's about 4 centimeters (1.3 inches) long.

------------------
Juztyn
Taking credit for: Canyon Stream, Higher Ground, The Space Between, Death's Dome (mlp3), bits of JKRPG, and the entire Showcase forum, damnit!... Visit SWGalaxies.net for the latest Star Wars: Galaxies information!
2004-06-23, 8:23 PM #3
Big?

------------------
I bet you think that's funny, don't you.
2004-06-23, 8:25 PM #4
Sounds big enough.

------------------
2004-06-23, 8:26 PM #5
Some relative of May Beetles?

------------------
"Music is the universal language and the
dialect we speak in is Hip Hop!" - King Solomon
2004-06-23, 8:32 PM #6
a beetle with funky antennae.

------------------
The University of North Carolina has finally found a network server that, although missing for four years, hasn't missed a packet in all that time. Try as they might, university administrators couldn't find the server. Working with Novell Inc., IT workers tracked it down by meticulously following cable until they literally ran into a wall. The server had been mistakenly sealed behind drywall by maintenance workers.
2004-06-23, 8:35 PM #7
It's clearly George. I'd recognise that hair anywhere.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.

[This message has been edited by Spork (edited June 23, 2004).]
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-06-23, 8:48 PM #8
...Where'd you find that? I found one of those just like that before. Never did figure out what it was though.

------------------
Tia mi aven Moridin isainde vadin
http://www.writings-emag.net The next big thing since individually wrapped cheese slices (coming soon).
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2004-06-23, 8:53 PM #9
In our bathroom. I've sent a email off to the head of our university's entomology department. Let's see if he responds.

------------------
Juztyn
2004-06-24, 7:40 AM #10
Oh, I found one of those a while back and took it to our local college's biology professor... He told me it was... I forget what it was called but he said it was highly poisonous.

Yes and this is all true.

------------------
I don't want your signature on the same page as mine. It's talking to my signature, and making it feel bad about itself.
2004-06-24, 8:42 AM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Justin: Your specimen is a very handsome example of a male June beetle ( Family Scarabaeidae) called Polyphylla crinita. It is quite common here in Victoria, and its larva (a grub) lives on the roots of shrubs and trees (sometimes vegetable crops). Hope this is useful info for you. Regards, Richard.

Dr. Richard A. Ring
Editor-in-Chief, The Canadian Entomologist
Biology Department, University of Victoria</font>

Thanks, Dr. Ring!

------------------
Juztyn
2004-06-24, 9:14 AM #12
You and your funky, Canadian June beetle. They are just brown and ugly here in Texas.

------------------
"She turned me into a newt!"
Pause
"Well I got better..."
"She turned me into a newt!"
Pause
"Well I got better..."
2004-06-24, 10:05 AM #13
Those things find their way into my pool all the time.

------------------
"May your gravity well be shallow, and your deBroglie wavelength short."
Stuff
2004-06-24, 10:07 AM #14
Beetles are awesome. The bigger they are the cooler they are, because it's cool to let them latch on to your hand or finger or something and feel just how dad gummed strong they are.

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?

[This message has been edited by Correction (edited June 24, 2004).]
2004-06-24, 10:52 AM #15
Of course, having something big and exoskeletony on my hand isn't exactly my cup of tea.

------------------
[ Massassiism ] [ Cynicism ] [ Fanaticism ]
Sell your soul for a cookie?
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2004-06-24, 12:01 PM #16
Which is the other reason why I like beetles so much, Tony. With alot of bugs I share the same sentiment, but for some reason there are a few I don't mind. One of them being beetles. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------

↑ Up to the top!