Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Need advice.
Need advice.
2004-06-23, 4:05 PM #1
Ok windows has pissed me off for the last time. I had to reformat the thing, 3 times because it wouldn't recognise win95 I finally got it to xp, but it's crashing every 3 hours.

So, im converting to linux, what I need to know is how to install it, and what version i should use. Much help needed
2004-06-23, 4:12 PM #2
Sounds like you should look into fixing your hardware first... cause I have never heard of Windows crashing that much without there being hardware related problems.

------------------
<Outlaw_Torn> you mean your related to that damned sasquatch, Mech?
<MechWarrior> Lets just say the part of the family tree that does fork has bossy the goat in it.

<ubuu> does hitler have a last name?
2004-06-23, 5:13 PM #3
Hold on, are you upgrading from Win95 to XP? How old is that computer? That could be the problem right there.

------------------
Frogblast the Vent Core!

--End of Line--
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-06-23, 5:49 PM #4
Pheonix, my computer is realtivly new around a year old. Geforce FX 5800 gfx card, soundblaster live Value!, 2.0 ghz cpu, and a gig of ram. I worded the crashes wrong, What i meant was that every time *Note the cd DID not have any scratchs* is that it would fail with some kind of error, like the cd wasn't in there. And at the 2nd time I got the BSOD *blue screen of death*. I went up through millenium, then jumped to xp. I had a nasty virus around 6 months ago. I reformated. a month after that my soundcard became possesed, whenever I had tryed to install the drivers from the cd but I would get the BSOD. I suspect that my motherboard might have been affected causing it to be corrupted, however I have not evaluated at this point. This had all occured when I was using windows. Around 3 months ago, my friend let me use linux. Nothing happend on it no BSOD no problems and none of my games crashed using WineX. However I cannot remember what version I used as it was a fairly old version. so thats why i need help installing and what version i should use.
I suspect the windows cd's might be corrupted, the soundcard corrupted, or the motherboard. the last one i suspect the least.
2004-06-23, 5:54 PM #5
maybe it's the CD drive... or worse... maybe you have a borked HD

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-06-23, 6:10 PM #6
There are a few other things that could be causing your problem, like overheating or bad power supply

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-06-23, 6:22 PM #7
I doubt a Cd could get corrupted. the data is physically burned into the disc, so it can't change like the magnetic media stored on a hard disk.

the only thing that could render a cd unreadable is severe scratching, cracks, or other physical damage.

------------------
The University of North Carolina has finally found a network server that, although missing for four years, hasn't missed a packet in all that time. Try as they might, university administrators couldn't find the server. Working with Novell Inc., IT workers tracked it down by meticulously following cable until they literally ran into a wall. The server had been mistakenly sealed behind drywall by maintenance workers.
2004-06-23, 6:33 PM #8
Actually, Pagewizard, it's been my experience that that's not actually true. I've had CDs with no visible damage (ie scratches, cracks, etc) that have still had corrupted data. I'm not sure what causes it, but it does happen.

And yeah, Stinkywrix, you've probably got a problem in your hardware (I'd guess the hard drive) that's causing that. Because Windows XP is very stable and almost never crashes unless there's a hardware issue. Overheating might also be a possibility. What kind of processor do you have? AMD?

------------------
Tia mi aven Moridin isainde vadin
http://www.writings-emag.net The next big thing since individually wrapped cheese slices (coming soon).
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2004-06-23, 6:41 PM #9
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sarn_Cadrill:
Actually, Pagewizard, it's been my experience that that's not actually true. I've had CDs with no visible damage (ie scratches, cracks, etc) that have still had corrupted data.</font>
I'm not sure about CD-Rs and CD-RWs, but with the industry standard, the data is physically (and permanantly) burned into the CD. It would take physical damage to corrupt it. The smallest scratch could cause the read laser to refract the light incorrectly, thus making it impossible for most CD drives to read.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-06-23, 7:16 PM #10
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DogSRoOL:
Quote:
Originally posted by Sarn_Cadrill:
Actually, Pagewizard, it's been my experience that that's not actually true. I've had CDs with no visible damage (ie scratches, cracks, etc) that have still had corrupted data.</font>
I'm not sure about CD-Rs and CD-RWs, but with the industry standard, the data is physically (and permanantly) burned into the CD. It would take physical damage to corrupt it. The smallest scratch could cause the read laser to refract the light incorrectly, thus making it impossible for most CD drives to read.[/b]

also warping... but CDs don't warp easily

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-06-23, 7:30 PM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sarn_Cadrill:
Actually, Pagewizard, it's been my experience that that's not actually true. I've had CDs with no visible damage (ie scratches, cracks, etc) that have still had corrupted data. I'm not sure what causes it, but it does happen.

</font>

I once had a cd-r (one of those old gold-colored ones that they don't make anymore) oxidize after a few years and the aluminum data layer got that dull gray crumbly rust stuff that you get when you burn tin foil. Those gold cd-r discs looked cool, but they must have had a ton of problems b/c they're all but impossible to find now.

however, that still counts as physical damage, IMO.

------------------
The University of North Carolina has finally found a network server that, although missing for four years, hasn't missed a packet in all that time. Try as they might, university administrators couldn't find the server. Working with Novell Inc., IT workers tracked it down by meticulously following cable until they literally ran into a wall. The server had been mistakenly sealed behind drywall by maintenance workers.

[This message has been edited by Pagewizard_YKS (edited June 23, 2004).]
2004-06-24, 8:11 AM #12
Sarn, Yes I do have a AMD motherboard. Im going to change out my computers hard drives and see what happens.
2004-06-24, 8:24 AM #13
Wow, Massassi is having like a linux surge.

If you do decide to try linux, Try one of these first:
  • Mandrake - user friendly
  • Fedora - simiple, clean, cutting edge
  • SuSE - proffesional, complete
  • Knoppix - live CD that doesn't install on your disk unless you tell it to. Based on Debian.

Every single one of those is %100 free and avalible for download at www.linuxiso.org .
------------------
Please send me e-mail...

[This message has been edited by Mystic0 (edited June 24, 2004).]
2004-06-24, 9:05 AM #14
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Stinkywrix:
Sarn, Yes I do have a AMD motherboard. Im going to change out my computers hard drives and see what happens. </font>

That much doesn't really matter, the AMD motherboard. Usually they run a bit hotter, but they can also take higher temperatures. Do you happen to know what model of AMD chip or what speed?

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-06-24, 11:14 AM #15
Alot of people decide that Windows sucks and they run to Linux all to late realizing it was a hardware faliure and they have the same damn problem in Linux.

------------------
<Outlaw_Torn> you mean your related to that damned sasquatch, Mech?
<MechWarrior> Lets just say the part of the family tree that does fork has bossy the goat in it.

<ubuu> does hitler have a last name?
2004-06-24, 12:17 PM #16
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MechWarrior:
Alot of people decide that Windows sucks and they run to Linux all to late realizing it was a hardware faliure and they have the same damn problem in Linux.

</font>

Not really. In fact, not at all. Most people give up on Windows and run Linux because Windows is ugly, not as stable, and just not too great for everyday surfing use if you have a lot of problems. This sounds like one of those cases.

I haven't personally had a nasty enough run-in with Windows to make me want to be Linux only, but I do want to go Linux only because now they support DX9. Hawtness.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H

↑ Up to the top!