Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Trying to install the XP service pack...
Trying to install the XP service pack...
2004-06-22, 5:40 PM #1
Then, Windows looked at me, as if satisfied by it's inherent mischievousness and said; 'Your product key is invalid.'

I paused for a brief moment. Then I replied; 'But Windows, my dear, operator of my system, ruler of my drives, if my product key is invalid, how did I come to install you in the first place?'

I could see the empty stare of confusion in his eyes. Blinded by his pride, he had not been anticipating a question to which he had no answer. Punctures in his naked code revealed - his perfection undone.

Having no desire to wound any longer, I swiftly displaced my cursor over the OK button, giving in to it's despair - accepting of it's flaws. The blood in his veins had frozen, as the surface of a river in the coldest month of winter - an empty reliquary, having no purpose, no reason to exist. This program had performed an illegal operation.

So... any ideas?

------------------
WAITER: Here’s your green salad, sir.
ANAKIN: What? You fool, I told you NO CROUTONS! Aaaaaaargh!
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-06-22, 5:49 PM #2
Microsoft blacklisted a bunch of CD keys used for pirate copies of XP, so that the service pack will not patch pirate installs.

P.S.: Check your email.

------------------
When guitars are outlawed, only outlaws will have guitars.

[This message has been edited by MaD CoW (edited June 22, 2004).]
2004-06-22, 5:51 PM #3
Is your copy of XP legit?

------------------
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind.
:wq
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-06-22, 6:44 PM #4
You should try calling tech support and see if they can resolve it. I remember back when I was upgrading my computer and because and did that "Activate Windows XP" a few times too many (it ALWAYS does this BS if you change your hardware drastically like replace a motherboard or CPU), Windows assumed that I was copying the OS to more than one system and ruled it out as "pirating". Obviously, there was no why in HELL I'm going to buy a new CD Key (which is like 70 bucks or so) for a OS I already OWN so I contacted tech support about it. I told them that I was just upgrading my computer so they believed me and reactivated my CD Key. If you have an excuse just as good as mine, they should be able to help.

-- SavageX

------------------
"...and if you don't like that, then you need to be slugged in the face repeatedly, until my hands are soaked in blood. Have a nice day!"
http://geocities.com/savagex378
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2004-06-22, 7:14 PM #5
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GBK:
Is your copy of XP legit?

</font>

Only b/c my restore discs wouldn't work.... What would you do? I can't give myself fully to open source/linux at this time b/c some design appsthat i use only work correctly under real windows, not wine.

XP corporate is nice, though. no activation, no prying eyes.

It's nice to have a real version of windows that I can easily reinstall if need be. It's sure better than hassling restore disks, or relying on the notoriously inept compaq dumbass techies for repairs.

------------------
The University of North Carolina has finally found a network server that, although missing for four years, hasn't missed a packet in all that time. Try as they might, university administrators couldn't find the server. Working with Novell Inc., IT workers tracked it down by meticulously following cable until they literally ran into a wall. The server had been mistakenly sealed behind drywall by maintenance workers.

[This message has been edited by Pagewizard_YKS (edited June 22, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by Pagewizard_YKS (edited June 23, 2004).]
2004-06-22, 7:17 PM #6
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MaD CoW:
Microsoft blacklisted a bunch of CD keys used for pirate copies of XP, so that the service pack will not patch pirate installs.

P.S.: Check your email.

</font>

Right, if you're using the infamous
FCKGW-RHQQ2-YXRKT-8TG6W-***** serial, you will be blacklisted.

------------------
The University of North Carolina has finally found a network server that, although missing for four years, hasn't missed a packet in all that time. Try as they might, university administrators couldn't find the server. Working with Novell Inc., IT workers tracked it down by meticulously following cable until they literally ran into a wall. The server had been mistakenly sealed behind drywall by maintenance workers.
2004-06-22, 11:31 PM #7
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
Originally posted by MaD CoW:
</font>

MaD CoW speaks the truth - I *cough* seem to have the same trouble, Flexor... *cough* [http://forums.massassi.net/html/redface.gif] [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

-Jackpot

------------------
"lucky_jackpot is the smily god..." - gothicX
"jackpot is an evil evil man... so evil, in fact, that he's awesome." - Seb

"Life is mostly froth and bubble, but two things stand in stone,
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own"
("Ye Wearie Wayfarer" - by Adam Lindsay Gordon)
"lucky_jackpot is the smily god..." -gothicX
"Life is mostly froth and bubble, but two things stand in stone,
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own"
- "Ye Wearie Wayfarer"
|| AI Builder: compatible with both JK & MotS || My website ||
2004-06-23, 3:01 AM #8
You can change your key through windows without reinstalling it though.

I forget how, just google it.

------------------
WARNING: THIS POST MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF PEANUT!
----@%
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2004-06-23, 3:23 AM #9
What sucks more is if Flex's copy of XP is truly legit, M$ charges something like $100 for support over the phone or something.

[This message has been edited by Morfildor (edited June 23, 2004).]
2004-06-23, 3:29 AM #10
I had to wait for 3 hours once to get them to activate my code over phone once becuase there internet service "failed to work properly".

After that I said forget it and installed Linux.

I detest the activation scheme and Microsoft. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/mad.gif]

[This message has been edited by Freyr (edited June 23, 2004).]
Free your mind, use Open Source.
2004-06-23, 8:11 AM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Freyr:

I detest the activation scheme and Microsoft. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/mad.gif]

[This message has been edited by Freyr (edited June 23, 2004).]
</font>

word.

------------------
2004-06-23, 8:26 AM #12
Where's that Microsoft "w0rd up yo" or whatever picture?

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.

[This message has been edited by Emon (edited June 23, 2004).]
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-06-23, 3:17 PM #13
I'm sure glad I don't need to activate my copy. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif] We've got a deal with the college where I work that staff are allowed to install our corporate edition of XP at home - free.

Raynar

------------------
Pagewizard_YKS: "making your own lightsaber doesn't make you a nerd... "
Pagewizard_YKS: "making your own lightsaber doesn't make you a nerd... "
Raynar - the man with a 10.75" ePenis
2004-06-23, 4:16 PM #14
You know the rules. The trick, I guess, is to follow them! Please do, or you will be banned. Posting methods to get around Windows activation is simply, and obviously not on.

[This message has been edited by BuuBox (edited June 24, 2004).]
2004-06-23, 8:41 PM #15
erm... i think you should edit that, very fast.

------------------
"It's OK for us to randomly attack people!"
-BV

o.0
2004-06-23, 10:11 PM #16
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by greenboy_009:
erm... i think you should edit that, very fast.

</font>

eh? why?

All we're doing is protesting Microsoft's blatant disregard for privacy. They can "activate" my middle finger as far as I'm concerned.

Face it-- we're patriots, not pirates. America was even founded on disobedience. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
2004-06-23, 10:12 PM #17
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS:
Face it-- we're patriots, not pirates. America was even founded on disobedience. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]
</font>

Wave your miniature american flag all you want, but I don't think the admins will agree with you. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
WAITER: Here’s your green salad, sir.
ANAKIN: What? You fool, I told you NO CROUTONS! Aaaaaaargh!
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-06-23, 10:18 PM #18
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Flexor:
Wave your miniature american flag all you want, but I don't think the admins will agree with you. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

</font>

Bah, nothing bad will probably happen to you if you rip off windows.

In my case, this black van pulled up in front of my house, and these guys in black swat suits (with a windows logo on the shoulder and little lightning bolts on the collar) came in and drugged me. I awoke in this little room with binary code being recited over and over. I kept on passing out until i found myself back at home. Nothing really happened except I have this little chip implanted in the back of my neck. See? nothing to worry about. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
2004-06-24, 3:58 AM #19
Will you relax that in no way is hacking you can find that procedure on Microsoft.com

------------------
<Outlaw_Torn> you mean your related to that damned sasquatch, Mech?
<MechWarrior> Lets just say the part of the family tree that does fork has bossy the goat in it.

<ubuu> does hitler have a last name?
2004-06-24, 6:13 AM #20
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MechWarrior:
Will you relax that in no way is hacking you can find that procedure on Microsoft.com

</font>

Who said hacking? Misuse of procedures is more likely. If you can find it on Microsoft.com, prove it.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-06-24, 6:30 AM #21
Whatever you do, don't google "xpprocorp"
2004-06-24, 11:10 AM #22
I got the text file that came on the offical XP SP1 CD from my dads work. What he is experiencing is a Microsoft bug and that is how they told them to correct it. If you don't want the bug fix... good luck cause you'll never get it to work unless you do it that way.

------------------
<Outlaw_Torn> you mean your related to that damned sasquatch, Mech?
<MechWarrior> Lets just say the part of the family tree that does fork has bossy the goat in it.

<ubuu> does hitler have a last name?
2004-06-24, 12:21 PM #23
You know maybe they gave it to him at work for a reason. Often you can do a lot of different things with a work XP license than you can with just a home XP license. Meaning if you have multiple people on one license, they might give you a break and let you do that.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-06-24, 1:37 PM #24
My pirated copy updates just fine...

Actually I just installed SP2 pre-release not to long ago too.

------------------
http://www.sporkaudio.com
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2004-06-24, 2:47 PM #25
Okay guys let me clear this up... what I told him to do was perfectly legal for legal versions of XP. In no way was in endorsing stealing XP. That is not hacking it... it is simply reseting the key to allow for the service pack to be installed.

Edit: You included a product key. That's illegal.

[This message has been edited by BuuBox (edited June 25, 2004).]
2004-06-24, 3:50 PM #26
I hate Windows Activation...

------------------

"Bantha's are filthy animals.......I don't eat filthy animals."

"Laugh it up Fuzzball!"
-Han Solo

↑ Up to the top!